Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #1

Bypass valve hot water heater

Hello
this morning i de winterized my new coleman lantern 262bh which was winterized at the factory after flushing all of the antifreeze. i went below the bunk to switch the valves to the normal position. i found that there were only 2 valves, both open and in the horizontal position.. there were no other valves on the heater. I expected to see an open valve in the vertical position, but there were none. Any help would be appreciated...also no water come out of the hot water drain during the process. thanks
edkis1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #2

In addition to those two valves, there is probably a check valve in the hot water outlet. Can you post a photo?

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #3

Being new, are you sure it ever had water in the system. There would be no need to bypass the hot water tank if no water had ever been put into it.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:29 AM   #4

winniman - not sure your statement is accurate. The hot water bypass on the trailers that I had stopped antifreeze from filling up the hot water heater. That saves 6 or 10 gallons of antifreeze.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:51 AM   #5

Trace the lines on those 2 vlaves

ONE should be COLD inlet going into the WH Tank (bottom of tank) ---COLD Inlet/OPEN
ONE should connect COLD to HOT (after hot out from WH Tank)---that is the BYPASS (CLOSE IT)

WH TANK HOT Out....Most Likely has a CHECK VALVE in it (stop backflow into Tank and is CHEAP way to do it)

Post pic of YOURS if you can......

Here are some examples
2 valve system (Cold Inlet/BYPASS)

2 valve system (Cold/Bypass and Hot/Bypass)

1 valve system (Cold/Bypass only)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
winniman - not sure your statement is accurate. The hot water bypass on the trailers that I had stopped antifreeze from filling up the hot water heater. That saves 6 or 10 gallons of antifreeze.
That indeed is its purpose, but the OP said it was a new trailer. I don't know why the dealer would put water in the hot water tank if it was new. Perhaps they do to test it. I have never bought a new trailer, so I don't know for sure that they don't test the system. I would think they would test it with air pressure instead of putting water in the system. This is how they test plumbing systems in houses.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:35 PM   #7

Thanks to everyone . cant figure out how to send the photo on this chromebook, but i think i found out what i needed I closed the top valve off, and i heard residual water going into the tank...
edkis1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:26 PM   #8

Went to the campsite yesterday and helped my sister de-winterize her 2018 Forest River Heritage Glen 272RL. The bypass valves were also opposite to my experience just as the OP described. The inline position was CLOSED and the 90 degree position was OPEN. Once "open" in the 90 degree position you could hear the tank filling, and we had hot water in no time, so it appears that for this model at least, the 90 degree position is OPEN.

For what it's worth, on my 2016 Keystone Sprinter 5er, the inline position is open and the 90 degree position is closed. That has also been my experience on every other RV that I have had my hands on.
BigBlueRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, valve, water, water heater