Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2021, 08:56 AM   #1

Exclamation California Legislation proposes to ban portable generators

RVNews.com reports here is legislation proposed in California that would ban portable generators and onboard generators.

Assembly Bill 1346 would compel the California Air Resources Board to adopt regulations by July 1, 2022, to prohibit emissions from all small off-road engine engines (SORE) including portable generators. While it may be intended to promote the use of battery-operated lawn and garden equipment, it will also result in banning the sale of portable generators in the state as soon as 2024.

The proposal assumes that portable generators could be replaced with so-called ZEE generators (zero-emission equipment).

For these reasons, the Portable Generator Manufacturersí Association (PGMA) is requesting an exemption for portable generators be included in the proposal.

California folks -- consider making sure your legislators know your opinion on this
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2021, 09:06 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobob51 View Post
RVNews.com reports here is legislation proposed in California that would ban portable generators and onboard generators.

Assembly Bill 1346 would compel the California Air Resources Board to adopt regulations by July 1, 2022, to prohibit emissions from all small off-road engine engines (SORE) including portable generators. While it may be intended to promote the use of battery-operated lawn and garden equipment, it will also result in banning the sale of portable generators in the state as soon as 2024.

The proposal assumes that portable generators could be replaced with so-called ZEE generators (zero-emission equipment).

For these reasons, the Portable Generator Manufacturersí Association (PGMA) is requesting an exemption for portable generators be included in the proposal.

California folks -- consider making sure your legislators know your opinion on this
I canít even buy a halogen bulb here for my stove hood. Your appeal is logical, but you are appealing to a minority.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:09 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Here’s a recent discussion on the issue - as you can see, a lot of opinion on this one:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/cali...-a-557361.html

I recently bought a few Stihl battery powered yard tools, but I did so because they are low maintenance, easy to start, quiet, have improved quite a bit in power and quality, and I needed a new mower anyway. So I bought a few things that all use the same battery.

I like them and I guess I was ahead of the curve for once. But the fact that the usefulness of these tools is dependent on either a reliable grid (which we do not have), or a generator, is not lost on me.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:41 AM   #4

I have managed to charge my RV as well as a few lithium battery powered devices we use while camping- a battery powered chainsaw and my electric bike, without running the generator. Here is how:

My daily amp hour usage, excluding recharging the two above, is about 30 Ah. With a pair of 100 Ah AGM batteries I can go at least three days without recharging. We never camp longer than that before coming back home or going to another campsite, so our coach batteries get recharged from the chassis alternator while driving.

I recharge both the chainsaw and the electric bike by plugging their 110V chargers into a small portable inverter that plugs into the dash cigarette lighter powered by the chassis electrics. That way I can also recharge those devices while underway to another campsite.

If I had more solar than my 100 watt panel, and I camped in a sunny spot (which we rarely do), I could go forever without chassis alternator or generator charging.

I think that this is the future of responsible, low emission camping. Of course the chassis engine pollutes (but not as much as a portable generator) while recharging and when we get to the point of all electric vehicles, I can't imagine what will happen with RVs.

Small, light TTs will probably survive, but if you have read the reports on the Ford Maverick's range while towing, that won't get me to many campsites in my area. Larger Mhs weighing 10-25,000 lbs just aren't going to be feasible on electric power.

David
Old 12-06-2021, 10:32 AM   #5

Oh boy, is this in addition to the ban on two-stroke engines?

My completely out-of-touch elected officials are likely just tossing my feedback, but I agree we should voice our concerns.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:36 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Thread Closed

This is being discussed here.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/cali...-a-557361.html
Closed Thread

Tags
california, generator, generators