Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #29

in all our 80,000+ miles and almost 4 years of traveling and many, many parks, campground, and parking lots... I don't know that I've but seldom actually locked all my 'cargo' bays, or worried about it much, including the 'satellite antenna' sitting outside all night.

I'll admit that a quick overnight at a Freightliner parking lot, right near the street, in Medford Oregon, rendered us a 'stolen' roadbike off the rear of the 4-bike rack(not locked either, of course)... but I can imagine that most of us would normally take more precautions in that type of environment, versus a campground where other folks are overnighting nearby.

There are always 'exceptions' to the rule, but I think that worrying about locking up everything you own while camping in rv parks and campgrounds is a little overkill... but, if it makes you feel better...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #30

Thank you all. I live in New Jersey and this cold weather is killing us. Wife and I are chomping at the bit to take our new girl out. 3 trips late last season were not enough to dull the newness and excitement. Boy are our adult children pissed. . Oh, and those fellow LEO's and Military veterans (Army Vet here) thank you all for serving. 'Merica!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0298.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	616.4 KB
ID:	191803  
Old 02-10-2018, 01:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthefive0 View Post
Thank you all. I live in New Jersey and this cold weather is killing us. Wife and I are chomping at the bit to take our new girl out. 3 trips late last season were not enough to dull the newness and excitement. Boy are our adult children pissed. . Oh, and those fellow LEO's and Military veterans (Army Vet here) thank you all for serving. 'Merica!
Grab your bride, hook up and head to Florida! It's 82 degrees, light wind, and sunshine here in Okeechobee. Oh, bring your flagstaff, lot's of us fly our colors and are damn proud of it.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
One night I woke up around 2am to my dog growling at the window. I turned a light on. I heard footsteps running away. I took the dog outside to go potty, but she wanted to go for a walk. She was clearly following a scent. We walked out to near the highway, I decided I'd had enough, and we went back to bed.

Love this dog!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1518297095895.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	191805
Old 02-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #33

From one Police Officer to another...just make “yours” less accessible than your neighbors. Everyone has given you some good advice thus far!
Old 02-11-2018, 05:55 AM   #34

Lucky, In 10 years never a problem with bikes, grill, grill table, kayak, chairs, carpet, runners, broom, shelter logic, 5th wheel hitch. Now most of my stuff is not as nice as other people's.

Now, I just jinxed myself...ugh.

As you know, it is only a matter of time before something ends up missing. I can sense I am on borrowed time and will start using cables for bikes and kayak.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:07 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyfit View Post
Grab your bride, hook up and head to Florida! It's 82 degrees, light wind, and sunshine here in Okeechobee. Oh, bring your flagstaff, lot's of us fly our colors and are damn proud of it.
Already got a trip booked to Tampa and Disney Fort Wilderness in November 😁.
Always fly my colors and thin blue line flag 👍.
robthefive0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #36

I have been camping for most of my life and have never had anything stolen from the campground. We leave chairs and other stuff out also when we leave. I have heard of stuff being stolen from campers while in outside storage. I agree with the comments if it is really expensive like a dish or generator, I would put a cable around them. One thing I still like about camping is that we are all out there to get away from the frustrating things of life and relax. I don't know how law officers can do what you do every day, but I thank you for what you do. Welcome to the part of this life that one can still go to and escape the real world frustrations. Relax and enjoy.
Runowskib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #37

I hate liars and thieves. Bottom line is to do what makes you feel comfortable. Other ideas are getting a small portable alarm that will activate when moved such as a hotel door alarm, etc. It may not stop a thief, but it will bring attention and someone may get a description of the turd.

A funny but not funny comment, be sure to make yourself some kind of obvious reminder that your dish is on your roof. Otherwise, you may end up dragging it down the road. If you RV long enough, you will sooner or later forget something. How do I know????? 😕. Due to the private pilot in me, I now have a pre-flight checklist. My DW makes fun of me, but as I get older, I get more forgetful.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by robthefive0 View Post
Amen! Thank you all for your input. I hate to sound cynical and i 100% agree that people are innocent until proven guilty. But "innocent until proven guilty" doesn't replace my $400 portable satellite dish . I think I'll cable lock it.
Not sure about "innocent until proven guilty"... People are innocent until they steal your satellite dish! When that happens, whether it's proven or not there is at least one guilty person.
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground