Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2019, 09:04 AM   #15
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Here is some information about tire repair from my state:
https://www.google.com/search?q=NYS+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Lynn
I couldn't find anything that told me that the dismal swamp in Albany ever passed that bill - like so many other safety bills
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 11:03 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My trailer TPMS lets me know if a tire starts to loose air ASAP. Good to see the tire PSI while going down the road.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:19 PM   #17

So even if you can repair them I personally wouldn’t. That’s my choice but it’s based upon living in Phx for 10 years and seen so many trailer tires blow from the heat. So I just don’t trust anything that can compromise a trailer tire.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite wa View Post
So even if you can repair them I personally wouldn’t. That’s my choice but it’s based upon living in Phx for 10 years and seen so many trailer tires blow from the heat.
I guess you're basing your opinion on tire carcasses you see during your travels.

As has been discussed in length in other threads, maintaining correct air pressure has always been a critical part of preventing failures. I would bet the majority of those failed tires are a result of under inflation. While the Southeast isn't AZ, in the last few years, I've noticed a marked decrease in failed tires. The majority of those I have seen have been tread separations (probably truck retreads) & more than likely were under-inflated. TPMS has been a god-send for trucking companies.
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #19

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenwol1 View Post
Last weekend, we picked up 3 nails in one of our trailer tires. The were all in the tread. At the local Walmart, they said they are prohibited by DOT regulations from repairing ST tires. A new one was not too much and since I had no other options, I bought a new one.

Question: is that true about DOT regulations?

After some thought (being only 1 year+ into rv'ing) it's probably not a good idea to run that much weight and stress on a patched tire.

Thanks.

There are tire industry standards for tire repair. Total number, Location, and proximity all come into the decision. I am not aware of any "DOT" standard saying you can't repair ST type tire, so the tire tech was probably correct to turn you down because of the number or proximity but not because the tire is ST type.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:24 AM   #20

Thanks to all for great information. Proving once again the quality of this forum.
Brenwol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:34 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
If you don't know the answer, just give a plausible one. As others have stated, there are no prohibitions against repairing a tread puncture.

You will have to find someone who will remove the tire from the wheel, insert in a spreader, prepare the surface for adhesion with a grinder, blow the debris away, clean it with alcohol, apply a rubber adhesive and finally install a plug patch.

As you can see, it requires equipment & typically will take about 10-15 minutes if the tech knows what they're doing, charging ~$15.

NEVER EVER USE A PLUG FOR A "PERMANENT" REPAIR!! You are inviting havoc to visit you.
I have repaired automotive tires with plugs for 40 years and have never had one leak or fail. Plugs are a perfectly viable solution for nail and screw holes as long as it is in the treads and not on the sidewall.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #22

Plugs in Tires are not acceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Plugs are a perfectly viable solution for nail and screw holes as long as it is in the treads and not on the sidewall.
Plugs may be a "perfectly viable solution" but only in an emergency. One of Les Schwab's Northwestern US stores was 1 of the 1st, if not the 1st, to pay a multi-million $ settlement as the result of a failed plug repair which resulted in fatalities.

The ONLY accepted repair for a nail/screw hole is a plug-patch installed after demounting & correctly preparing the damaged area.

Your experience is fortunate, but it's like the warnings you see re: stocks. Your returns may be different & are subject to risks. Since it seems I've got ~20 years of additional driving experience with 40 of that in the tire business, you've simply read my take.

Personally, I'd never subject my family or my clients to the risks inherent with a plug in a tire.
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote