Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #1

Can a TT tire be fixed?

Last weekend, we picked up 3 nails in one of our trailer tires. The were all in the tread. At the local Walmart, they said they are prohibited by DOT regulations from repairing ST tires. A new one was not too much and since I had no other options, I bought a new one.

Question: is that true about DOT regulations?

After some thought (being only 1 year+ into rv'ing) it's probably not a good idea to run that much weight and stress on a patched tire.

Thanks.
Brenwol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 05:34 AM   #2

Have had ST tires on a multitude of trailers and repaired all as needed as long as the sidewall wasn't compromised

They were all 10 ply for the most part
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:41 AM   #3

I ran on patched car tires at 70mph. I see no reason why you could not patch a 'Special Trailer' tire.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenwol1 View Post
Last weekend, we picked up 3 nails in one of our trailer tires. The were all in the tread. At the local Walmart, they said they are prohibited by DOT regulations from repairing ST tires. A new one was not too much and since I had no other options, I bought a new one.

Question: is that true about DOT regulations?

After some thought (being only 1 year+ into rv'ing) it's probably not a good idea to run that much weight and stress on a patched tire.

Thanks.
NO! not true
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:49 AM   #5

Walmart lack of knowledge/training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenwol1 View Post
At the local Walmart, they said they are prohibited by DOT regulations from repairing ST tires.
If you don't know the answer, just give a plausible one. As others have stated, there are no prohibitions against repairing a tread puncture.

You will have to find someone who will remove the tire from the wheel, insert in a spreader, prepare the surface for adhesion with a grinder, blow the debris away, clean it with alcohol, apply a rubber adhesive and finally install a plug patch.

As you can see, it requires equipment & typically will take about 10-15 minutes if the tech knows what they're doing, charging ~$15.

NEVER EVER USE A PLUG FOR A "PERMANENT" REPAIR!! You are inviting havoc to visit you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1plugpatch.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	256517  
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #6

Did some WWW surfing and it seems to be more then a few shops, Besides Wal-Mart, that won't repair trailer tires.

We all can explain how its done, but that won't change their mind.

They don't have to, for what ever reason, so you can always take your business somewhere else.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #7

Discount tire will repair trailer tires provided hole is not within 1" of sidewall, hole is 1/4" or smaller, hole is NOT in sidewall.
They will dismount, break tire down and patch it from inside

ALL for FREE.

Walmart is NOT where you want ANY tire repaired.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:35 PM   #8

I try to avoid Walmart tire and lube at all costs!
I understand that the OP may have been in a jam and this was the only place to get it done.
If I remember, I'll try to ask the local shop that does all our maintenance about it.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Discount tire will repair trailer tires provided hole is not within 1" of sidewall, hole is 1/4" or smaller, hole is NOT in sidewall.
They will dismount, break tire down and patch it from inside

ALL for FREE.
This is the "old school" way of doing it and IT WORKS !

The biggest issue with any tubeless tire repair is how much damage the tire sustained BESIDES the hole ! If you had dual axle trailer and one tire went flat you may have driven a long way before noticing it. That flat tire will endure a large amount of sidewall flexing. This will be evident by a large amount of rubber "dust" inside the tire. Patching the hole will get you on the road again, but you are likely to have a true "blow out" in the not to distant future.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:05 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I wouldn’t hesitate to install 1 patch plug if on the tread, if you have three holes in the same tire... the tire is done, cords are compromised.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:08 AM   #11
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
I wouldn’t hesitate to install 1 patch plug if on the tread, if you have three holes in the same tire... the tire is done, cords are compromised.
Just about to say that.

One (non sidewall) - fine, two opposite - maybe. Three - well let's say that an ST tire is usually pretty inexpensive vs trailer damage/safety.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:36 AM   #12

Thanks to all for great input and information. I used Wally World because that was my only option at the time. While the info the manager gave me regarding DOT regs may have been at least wrong (at worst a lie), he DID work on my trailer when their procedures (according to him) prohibited techs from working on vehicles OUTSIDE the bays. For the small cost of a new tire, he had me back on the road in less than an hour.

So, the net result was good and I learned some more about TT tire safety.

Thanks again.
Brenwol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:56 AM   #13

I have always believed in the 3-S rule. Steering, stopping and starting.
The first and last thing which contributes to how well you can do any of the three is the tire(s). They are the contact on the pavement.
Good tires will perform well but worn or blown tires will not.
Lynn
Old 08-14-2019, 08:03 AM   #14

Here is some information about tire repair from my state:
https://www.google.com/search?q=NYS+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Lynn