Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #1

Can you hook up HDMI???

We bought a 2001 Rockwood Windjammer 3002W and a brand new TV to put in it only to find that the TT doesn't have HDMI hook-up, so the picture is not very good.

Can I convert the coax or video cables to HDMI? Is there a box that will do that?
Lori Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #2

If you are using OTA reception just plug the antenna coax into the tv should get great reception.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:25 AM   #3

What are you trying to hook the tv too?
Bucky Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:42 AM   #4

We're in an RV and just bought a TV with an HDMI cable but the RV doesn't have HDMI. It does have a coax cable but the picture is very grainy. There are 3 plugs also, red, yellow and orange. I was wondering if there is a box that will convert the coax or plugs to HDMI.
Lori Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Have you turned on the antenna power booster ? Grainy was for the days of analog past. Digital over the air is the standard now.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:51 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like the problem may be coming from the coax, booster or antenna. Converting the coax to HDMI or RGB will only send the same signal to the TV
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #7
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Meyer View Post
We bought a 2001 Rockwood Windjammer 3002W and a brand new TV to put in it only to find that the TT doesn't have HDMI hook-up, so the picture is not very good.

Can I convert the coax or video cables to HDMI? Is there a box that will do that?
Your Coax is simply for your cable connect. HDMI is used for component connection such as a DVD player. You should be able to connect directly to the TV with the coax. Your TV should be able to pick up signals through the Coax. As others have said, ensure your antennae power booster is on. Also ensure your TV is set to the right input source whether cable, antennae or HDMI.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Meyer View Post
We're in an RV and just bought a TV with an HDMI cable but the RV doesn't have HDMI. It does have a coax cable but the picture is very grainy. There are 3 plugs also, red, yellow and orange. I was wondering if there is a box that will convert the coax or plugs to HDMI.

Did the old tv work fine?
Is the tv...like the old days "snowy" and watchable or square little "pixalated" boxes and the screen sorta freezes up a bit
Old 03-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I popped out the Jensen combo unit and found that it has HDMI in/out on it. I just ran the cable and whallah! HDMI. Mine is a newer trailer though... not sure when they added that.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok Ways to get picture on screen:

RF, be it Over the air Antenna or Park cable, this comes in on a coxial cable on modern TV's 72-75 Ohm, Does not matter if HD SD or something else, it all comes in on that cable.. This is RADIO folks (With pictures).

A/V, used for DVD players and VCR,s Three cables, This connection consists of 3 cables and there are options. Normally you use 3 cables with a different type of coxial connector called an RCA or PHONO plug (This was common for hooking up Phonographs back in their day) White is either Audio, or Audio-left channel
Red is Right Channel Audio
Yellow is VIDEO

One options is to do digital audio, But we will ignore that cause well.. rare.

Next is S-Video, this also uses the red and white cables above but a special mini-din cable carries the video.. Using one wire for Lumina (Black and white) and another for Chroma (color) info, somewhat higher resolution is possible, This, in days of old, was mostly used by Commodore 64/128's and Atari home computers. but is now used on many DVR's and DVD players as well.

Finally we get HDMI,, This is a nearly flat connector and carries both audio and video, From Sat Receivers or HIGH DEF receivers or Blue Ray players.

So where are you getting signal from.. If you are getting it form your DISH or DirecTV receiver,, Just run a cable from one to the other and choose the proper input from the TV's Menu (like I do with my ChromeCast, it is HDMI II (2nd HDMI input) if you are getting it from an Antenna.. It comes in on Coax. Improve the antenna..

List of antenna improvements: Assumption, You have a Winegard Sensar II or III (Batwing design).

1: AIM.. using the signal strength meter in the TV rotate antenna for best signal

2: Wingman: Improves UHF range and performance of antenna (NOTE: The channel number on the screen used to indicate if VHF-lo, VHF-HIGH or UHF, but alas, that is no longer the case,, Antenna pointing will tell you).

3: Sensar Pro, this module replaces the wall plate (If you have that kind) switch or can be installed in a standard outlet box between the antenna and a Matrix Switch (Box of Many Buttons, or BOMB).

The improvement is striking in many areas. For example where I am now in 2011, NO SIGNAL ota at all
I added the wingman
I added the SENSAR PRO

I'm watching OTA studio monitor quality.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:08 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
I popped out the Jensen combo unit and found that it has HDMI in/out on it. I just ran the cable and whallah! HDMI. Mine is a newer trailer though... not sure when they added that.
Dagmandt: I have the Jensen in my Wind River 280RLS and was surprised to find that they ran component cables to the TV rather than HDMI. The manual shows HDMI on the Jensen but I haven't looked at how to pull it out to get to the back to connect the HDMI cable. Is there a trick to removing the Jensen or does it simply pull out?
Old 03-15-2015, 02:48 AM   #12

Just because your TV says HD combatable doesn't mean its HD. It's the tuner/receiver and if it's not 1080p res. and like mentioned earlier it makes no different whether you hook up using coax or HDMI unless you have a component with HD and yes there are HDMI to coax pretty much anything that you can send a video signal threw there is an HDMI adapter for. You can also try rotating your antenna to improve picture.
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestPacer View Post
Just because your TV says HD combatable doesn't mean its HD. It's the tuner/receiver and if it's not 1080p res. and like mentioned earlier it makes no different whether you hook up using coax or HDMI unless you have a component with HD and yes there are HDMI to coax pretty much anything that you can send a video signal threw there is an HDMI adapter for. You can also try rotating your antenna to improve picture.
Who are you referring to?
Old 03-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #14

Bucky Badger, I could blame it on the time of my reply for my pixel rant I should of left it out and just replied to the OP’s question. “yes there are HDMI to coax pretty much anything that you can senda video signal threw there is an HDMI adapter for. You can also try rotatingyour antenna to improve picture.”
guestPacer is offline   Reply With Quote