Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2021, 02:13 PM   #1

Cargo Carrier on 5th Wheel Bumper

Looking for some feedback on using a cargo carrier on the back bumper of my ‘17 KZ RS235 Sportsmen. I purchased a carrier that will support 750lbs and was hoping to carry my e-bikes it, both weighing under 100lbs in total. I was warned by a friend that this is dangerous as the bumpers aren’t built to support this weight and can fall off. Also want to mention that my spare tire is also attached to the bumper.

I have reached out to KZ but no answers yet and hoping someone can help with some solid advice.

Thanks
Dean
TitUpTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2021, 04:35 PM   #2

My eBikes were pretty spendy and I like to do do all I can to secure them. There is a lot of bounce on the rear of a trailer. Very few manufacturers recommend their carriers for RV use let alone heavy eBikes. I installed a class 3 Curt RV hitch from amazon to the rear of our 5er. Then I ordered a Swagman Escape RV approved eBike carrier from etrailer.com. All together it cost almost $600, less that 1/2 the cost of an eBike. No way would I mount a carrier to the rear bumper.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the RV has the square 4" sewer holder bumper, DO NOT use the cargo carrier clamped to it. It will rip the welds out. There is an after market bracket that adds support under the square tube.

But for E Bikes, I'd get a real hitch attached to the trailer frame. Problem you may run into here is Lippert does not want any thing attached to their frame or they will void warranty.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:25 PM   #4

Wherever you decide to carry your bikes ; REMOVE the batteries , that's the first thing that'll disappear .

I mounted a carry platform on a 5er bumper , lasted about 250 miles before additional brackets were required.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:26 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitUpTime View Post
Looking for some feedback on using a cargo carrier on the back bumper of my ‘17 KZ RS235 Sportsmen. I purchased a carrier that will support 750lbs and was hoping to carry my e-bikes it, both weighing under 100lbs in total. I was warned by a friend that this is dangerous as the bumpers aren’t built to support this weight and can fall off. Also want to mention that my spare tire is also attached to the bumper.

I have reached out to KZ but no answers yet and hoping someone can help with some solid advice.

Thanks
Dean
On our 1st camper it was an ultralight and I installed a bumper mount
bolt-on bracket to hold 3 bikes, it did not last 100 miles until the rear bumper fell off. The welds broke free and was dragging on the road. I had to get a new rear bumper and then had a hitch installed by welding to the frame.
From our experience it will not last very long.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel