Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2021, 02:50 PM   #1

Carpet replacement on slide

So i have a TT with a 18 foot slide. It has the standard u-shape dining area and couch with pull out bed.

The carpet is in bad cqndition and needs replacement. So the main area is vinyl foor which is in good shape. There carpet on the slide out carpet that attaches to the vinyl and a second piece which slides over the carpet when it slides in/out

I need to teplace the carpet and know i need to pull out everything. I like to know if others have done this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6167.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	786.4 KB
ID:	337917
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2021, 03:14 PM   #2

I've done it twice. Pretty easy, I remove all the staples in the floor. The original had a pad so I found a similar pad and replaced it, gluing it down. I saved the old as a pattern and added a couple of inches to the new to cover the slide out trim. I had one edge bound (or finished) which was less than $100 and included cutting the new carpet to match the old. I did not stretch the carpet like you would do in a stick house. I stapled it down with a pneumatic staple gun, not useing tack strips.
I bought extra carpet and replaced the bedroom carpet as well.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:34 PM   #3

Thanks. Any issues on reinstalling the furniture in again?
Old 07-31-2021, 04:37 PM   #4

I had already removed the Flexsteel booth and sofa, that would not be reinstalled. I did have a cabinet built on the wall, under the dining table, which was attached to the slide. It was the only cabinet removed that needed to be reinstalled. Other items were loose chairs.

If I were to take out furniture, I'd try storing it inside the coach if possible. Just breaking it down as needed for storage. I should add that when replacing the carpet I had the slide out. Prior to taking the old carpet out, I had the new in hand and had located someone who could bind the long edge. I had thought about a carpet installer, but no one wanted that small of job.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I had already removed the Flexsteel booth and sofa, that would not be reinstalled. I did have a cabinet built on the wall, under the dining table, which was attached to the slide. It was the only cabinet removed that needed to be reinstalled. Other items were loose chairs.

If I were to take out furniture, I'd try storing it inside the coach if possible. Just breaking it down as needed for storage. I should add that when replacing the carpet I had the slide out. Prior to taking the old carpet out, I had the new in hand and had located someone who could bind the long edge. I had thought about a carpet installer, but no one wanted that small of job.

I am worried about finding someone who will finish the edges on the carpet. I will need to call around on monday.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazingm42 View Post
I am worried about finding someone who will finish the edges on the carpet. I will need to call around on monday.
Most any upholstery shop can do it.

Binding the edge is fine. If they can serge it, all the better.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:43 AM   #7

I found my binder through a carpet shop.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:42 AM   #8

be careful of the thickness of the carpet that the slide slides on. the wife went to a little thicker carpet and now the slide just barely rubs at the top in places. my slide floats on the carpet when it comes in. i'm hoping the carpet will smash down some after its used a few times. we used a hi quality peel and stick looks good the wife said it was easy to install i'm going to put a wood or metal strip along the edge where the lower carpet ends at the floor .
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, carpet, replace, replacement, slide