Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2020, 09:58 AM   #1

Casita?

Casitas? Thoughts on buying one for occasional travel. We are a soon-to-be retired couple and newbies to trailer buying!!
tlilly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlilly01 View Post
Casitas? Thoughts on buying one for occasional travel. We are a soon-to-be retired couple and newbies to trailer buying!!
If you don't mind being cramped then get one but you might want to think about a little larger trailer. Here are some to think about. https://winnebago.com/models/towables/travel-trailer
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:57 AM   #3

I have friends that had an Egg, and now have a Casita. They seem to like it as they use it to travel from Michigan to Florida and back and also use it in the summers in Michigan. They like the Casita better than the Egg.

For me, I always had a soft spot for the T@B tear drop trailers. Especially the ones with the clam shell outside kitchen that makes the inside all living space.

These trailers are easy to tow and give pretty good protection from the elements. They can also be towed with SUV's and mud sized trucks. My ideal rig is the 2.7 Eco-Boost F-150 towing a T@B 400 or the T@B outside kitchen model.

But I have a wife that needs more comfort. I could come close to Slim Potatohead on YouTube. He has an A-Liner fold out trailer.

Now that I think about it, I also like the Lance trailers. They are probably the best made. But so are Rockwood / Flagstaff and Keystone Cougars.

The Casita is too much of a niche trailer for me and maybe not enough comfort.

Good luck trying to pick one.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:59 PM   #4

We have been happy with ours for 7 years. The good thing about molded fiberglass, Casita, Scamp, Escape etc, is that they are not prone to leaks. There are the usual vents on the roof that need to be sealed but no seams. They cost more than other types of construction but retain more value.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:09 PM   #5

We had a Lance 1475 for 3 seasons. For small couples trailer it is hard to beat. Excellent storage, livability and the 2 rockers in the non-slide version can not be beat. Much better than a dinette. Everything about the tailer is great and would buy one again no question. When we first laid eyes on one the first thing the dear wife ( DW ) said " It does not feel like a penalty box inside like the others " = SOLD LOL

https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/1475/
Old 03-09-2020, 12:59 AM   #6

I wanted one, wife said too small for her.
They are made 78 miles from my house... started looking at them years before I switched from a tent to a TT.
One of the things that impressed me about them was during a Texas summer (somewhere around 100 degrees) at a dealer by a busy highway (less than 50 feet away), I got in the trailer and shut the door. The air conditioner was running. Instant cool, traffic sounds died away. Relief!
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:08 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What will you be towing it with?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:15 AM   #8

Those little eggs are awesome: casita, Scamp, escape, Oliver ($$$), Bigfoot (a bit larger), etc.

They’re really tough to beat if they fit your needs. They can be a bit tight and you’ll certainly need to economize but they’re light, robust, simple, and easy to tow.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:16 PM   #9

Hey, check out Slim Potatohead on you tube. He had a A-Liner for a few years and just recently bought a Casita. He was living full time is the A-Liner so he is a hard core camper. Of course he is a man and by himself so he does not require very much comfort.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:06 PM   #10
WVI

Slim picked up a used Trillium, not the Casita.
WVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:46 PM   #11

check out Rusty78609 on Youtube. All you need to know about Casita living fulltime
rndlrsn is offline   Reply With Quote