Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2022, 06:11 PM   #1

Cassette Toilets

I am considering downsizing from a 25' Thor Axis Class A to something really small- a 15' TT that is small and light enough to be towed by a small SUV. At this size there isn't much room or weight available for fresh water, grey water and black water, so most of them use cassette toilets.

So, how do they work in practice?

I have used portable toilets on smallish boats. They work but are awkward to dump as you have to pull out the contents container, and although you usually don't spill anything when you do, it is a worry. Then you take the container to a land based toilet and dump it.

Permanently mounted RV cassette toilets work a little differently. The toilet bowl is permanently mounted to the RV. Using it is exactly like a normal RV toilet: you do your business then you push a valve to dump the contents into the cassette below and the flush water comes from the RV's fresh water pressurized water system. So far no difference at all vs a large RV.

But when it starts to get full that is where the difference comes in. The two T/T's I am considering, the Aliner Ascape ST and the Nucamp Tab both access the cassette from a hatch on the back of the rig, so there is no concern about spilling anything inside. You pull the cassette out and it automatically detaches from the toilet. Once it is outside, you use the collapsible handle and rollers to take it to either the dump station or a campground toilet and dump it. Then you bring it back, push it in place and you are back in business.

This doesn't sound too messy. The main problem is its capacity- 5 gallons. Bear with me from this point for some potty talk:

I being the male, water the bushes except for nightime where I have to go 2-3 times each night. Hey this is what happens with us 75 YOs. Once each day I go to the campground restrooms for No 2. My wife does the same except she uses the RV toilet during the day since watering the bushes is out of the question.

So could anyone guess how much black water capacity we will use in 24 hours of camping. I am hoping it is two gallons or so. I use a 1/4-1/2 gallon typically overnight. My wife probably double that since she has to flush down toilet paper each time. Letting it build up and flushing it all down in the morning isn't an option according to my wife. And of course we have her daytime usage.

I am hoping I can get two solid days of camping out of a 5 gallon cassette capacity.

The other issue is fresh water capacity. These T/Ts have about 11 gallons of fresh water storage capacity. If I use 4 gallons to flush the cassette toilet, that leaves us with 7 gallons for showers and rinsing dishes. That means a very quick shower of about 1 to 1-1/2 gallon each. I know I can do it if I have to as I have used solar showers in the past, but it is tough.

So any ideas on black and fresh water use in this situation.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2022, 07:26 PM   #2

I don't have a suggestion for the physics of going that small with your choice of TT, other than a composting toilet. Not sure if that is a viable option for you.
Iceclimber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:26 PM   #3

You'll learn to conserve.......

Watering the bushes...day time in a CG???
* that could get one removed from CG, even possible interaction with LEOs as urinating in public is unlawful
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:09 AM   #4

There are other issues with a camper that small you should consider. Changing the dinette into a bed every night then back again in the morning can be a pain. And if it has a wet bath showering can be an issue too. I understand that smaller is good but make sure it isn't too small.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:32 AM   #5

I don't think you will have a problem. My wife and I camp with a small 6x8 "squaredrop" camper with a true cassette toilet. We mostly just use it at night, but over 3 day weekends, I don't think we've generated more than a gallon. One suggestion - TP used to dry off after #1 can be disposed of in the trash rather than flushed to save water. It takes very minimal water to basically rinse the bowl. #2 is always done in the campground toilet for us.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOHENS View Post
There are other issues with a camper that small you should consider. Changing the dinette into a bed every night then back again in the morning can be a pain. And if it has a wet bath showering can be an issue too. I understand that smaller is good but make sure it isn't too small.
Thanks for your comments and advice. Unfortunately, a small SUV can only tow about 2,500 lbs. That limits the size of trailer I can consider.

The dinette conversion isn't a problem as we rarely use it. We camp in rustic SP, NP, USFS sites and always eat outdoors at the picnic table. I plan to set the beds up as twins and if it is raining, we will just sit on the made up beds and eat on our lap or maybe set up the table in the middle.

The two trailers I mention in my OP are the only ones I have found that are light enough but with full stand up headroom (at least for part of the trailer' length, and most systems that you find on bigger trailers, like the fridge, hot water heater, furnace, etc.

The cassette toilet and limited fresh water capacity are my biggest concerns with these tiny trailers.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:59 AM   #7

Cassette toilet and port-a-potty are basically the same thing. The biggest difference is that the cassette toilet is usually built into the camper, the port-a-potty is, of course hand portable. A small holding tank needs to be separated from the seat section and emptied.
My old port a potty is a 5 gallon tank and lasted my oneself the better part of a week. A family of 4 filled it in 2 days or so before emptying.
Be sure you know how to empty the tank so that it vents properly. Otherwise you could end up wearing the contents.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I am considering downsizing from a 25' Thor Axis Class A to something really small- a 15' TT that is small and light enough to be towed by a small SUV. At this size there isn't much room or weight available for fresh water, grey water and black water, so most of them use cassette toilets.

So, how do they work in practice?

I have used portable toilets on smallish boats. They work but are awkward to dump as you have to pull out the contents container, and although you usually don't spill anything when you do, it is a worry. Then you take the container to a land based toilet and dump it.

Permanently mounted RV cassette toilets work a little differently. The toilet bowl is permanently mounted to the RV. Using it is exactly like a normal RV toilet: you do your business then you push a valve to dump the contents into the cassette below and the flush water comes from the RV's fresh water pressurized water system. So far no difference at all vs a large RV.

But when it starts to get full that is where the difference comes in. The two T/T's I am considering, the Aliner Ascape ST and the Nucamp Tab both access the cassette from a hatch on the back of the rig, so there is no concern about spilling anything inside. You pull the cassette out and it automatically detaches from the toilet. Once it is outside, you use the collapsible handle and rollers to take it to either the dump station or a campground toilet and dump it. Then you bring it back, push it in place and you are back in business.

This doesn't sound too messy. The main problem is its capacity- 5 gallons. Bear with me from this point for some potty talk:

I being the male, water the bushes except for nightime where I have to go 2-3 times each night. Hey this is what happens with us 75 YOs. Once each day I go to the campground restrooms for No 2. My wife does the same except she uses the RV toilet during the day since watering the bushes is out of the question.

So could anyone guess how much black water capacity we will use in 24 hours of camping. I am hoping it is two gallons or so. I use a 1/4-1/2 gallon typically overnight. My wife probably double that since she has to flush down toilet paper each time. Letting it build up and flushing it all down in the morning isn't an option according to my wife. And of course we have her daytime usage.

I am hoping I can get two solid days of camping out of a 5 gallon cassette capacity.

The other issue is fresh water capacity. These T/Ts have about 11 gallons of fresh water storage capacity. If I use 4 gallons to flush the cassette toilet, that leaves us with 7 gallons for showers and rinsing dishes. That means a very quick shower of about 1 to 1-1/2 gallon each. I know I can do it if I have to as I have used solar showers in the past, but it is tough.

So any ideas on black and fresh water use in this situation.

David
We have a T@B 400 coming. It has a traditional black and grey tank, unlike the 320 that you are looking at. I wish it had a cassette toilet though. We have used them and in my opinion for two people two days would be easy. Probably even three.

The 400 is heavier than the 320 but you should be able to find an SUV that can handle it. We have two friends towing them with SUV’s and when run across the scale, unhooked including hitch weight was 3300 to 3450 pounds. They loaded so the hitch weight was around 10 percent.

Not trying to sway you away from the 320 but maybe check out the 400. We downsized from a diesel pusher for a few reasons. One of which was access to places we haven’t been able to visit, easier Ferry access, needing only one household vehicle (SUV) and just less to clean, maintain and look after.

Keep in touch with what you decide. Apparently ours will arrive next week...maybe. It’s changed a few times. .

Take care and enjoy.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet