Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2021, 04:29 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Chinese crap…you need to file an NTSB Report….you will never get anything but frustrations…just replace all with quality 5 PLY tires
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2021, 04:33 PM   #44

We just bought a 2021 Forest River Rv, it came with Trailer Kings 235/75/15, 10ply which is known China bombs. Brought it home, next stop was to tire shop and put on Transeagle 235/75/15, 14 ply. There is a huge difference in the sidewall, they are around twice the weight as the trailer kings.
retiredin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:34 PM   #45

You should have your trailer weighed fully loaded in order to determine the required tire pressure based upon the tire mfg schedule which should available online. Also, I would submit a report to NTHSA as should anyone else that is dealing with this issue.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:37 PM   #46

I would suggest that all people buying new trailers should at the very least check the age and brand of the tires and then tell the dealer you want brand "X", preferably a known reliable tire or blow the deal out your shorts.
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:18 PM   #47

Insurance Claim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawz View Post
Yes Bigd9 they have a 2 year warranty based on my paper work from the dealer but the web site they sent me to says 48 months from date of purchase. When you read the warranty claim details they will only replace the tires not collateral damage. Thats why I went to forest river. My Dealer says they can't do anything either. I am basically left with garbage tires and a big hole in my brand new trailer. Thanks for the response.
Can you make an insurance claim for the collateral damage to your camper?
Old 09-16-2021, 05:30 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Well the Chinese tires are good for one thing. You can run them on the farm trailers that never see much highway use. The only Chines tire that is work anything is the Sailun tires...otherwise stick to US, Japanese or South Korean tires.

Ken
I had two out of four Sailun tires come apart on our Roadtrek van. One at about 4k miles the other at about 8. The tires were not old, they just could not take running at max load. Pressures were fine(80 psi) as I was running TPMS.

Most expensive by far of any tires that I have purchased on a per mile basis that did not go on a motorcycle..
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:46 PM   #49

Hi Shawz,
Take a close look at your ratings sticker on the side of the trailer. My nephew had a Forest River axle weld break on his last trip. Major issue. After repairs I looked at it closely and stumbled across the issue. The Forest River certification label on the passenger side exterior wall listed the specs. The two combined axle weight ratings were 1,800 pounds less than the trailer Gross weight rating. We are in negotiations with FR. See what yours are. If your trailer is like that the axles could be flexing so much the tire alignment could be all over the place. If so that is the root cause of the twisted tires etc. We are looking at a DOT Recall possibility.

Best of luck to you.

Jack
Old 09-16-2021, 07:51 PM   #50

Never heard of Castle Rock tires...
I wouldnt think it wouldn't be an alignment issue, they would just not wear properly. Were they balanced, have wheel weights on them? Every trailer tire should be balance, even if it's for a boat. Didn't read all the response to see if you changed them yet. On our 5th wheel we went with Maxxis and upped the load range by 1.... c to d or d to e, I forget....
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:07 PM   #51

Quote:
We bought our brand new 2020 Coachmen by Forest river in Dec 2019. We have about 3000 miles on it. Last week our first tire blew out and took out my whole inner wheel well with it. I changed out on the hiway and made it home on my spare. Upon getting home I checked the remaining tires and found that the other 3 had steel belts showing, bulging and twisted threads meaning they too were about to blow. All tires were made in same month with the same DOT number. I contacted my dealer they said contact the tire manufacturer. I did, lions gate sent me a form with a bunch of conditions and told me they would not replace the tires until all the conditions were met. I completed the form and conditions (pics, vin, description etc) a few days ago and still waiting for them to contact me back. Best they will likely offer is a new set of garbage tires. Mean while I contacted my dealer about the damage and they said that they were not responsible because I'm beyond my year warranty and that they could not look at it till Dec. I contacted Forest river and they said contact the tire company. I asked them for the parts to replace and they told me they would not help me out. I'm at a loss. This Forest river customer service is garbage and so is any warranty they apply. Its buyer beware. If you have these castle rock tires ST 205 75R 14, DOT JUJT 1119 change them immediately! If anyone has any advice on how to get the dealer or Forest river to fix this let me know

These things are garbage.
I got 16 ,000 miles on my 2019 Grey Wolf by Forest River.
ONe blew out. Got to Discount Tire and replaced it.
60 mile later another blew out.
Got to Discount tire and replaced it and noticed wire sticking out all around the remaining two and belts belts were obviously broken.
IF you buy a new camper demand that they get replaced.
I was lucky. I got 16K out of mine.
66lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:12 PM   #52

There's a retired tire engineer on this forum, he also has a blog. Lookup TireMan9. Send him pictures of everything, he can give you guidance.
Also, get new tires on your rig and get it weighed. If you went heavy, it's your fault. (Sorry) If you are heavy and one tire blows, the rest are now even farther overweight, and will go soon.

If you are not overweight, get a lawyer. Dealer won't help you otherwise.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:08 PM   #53

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have ...NOPE, what I had pictured in MY MIND is NOT what your pictures reflect, and PICS appear to support defective tires... ( I was leaning to Unbalanced/ BOUNCING TIRE wear at SPOTS around the tire)... but THAT is NOT what I see with steel exposed in groove between good treads? LUCK to ya in your repairs and claims reimbursement. Even if denied, (I suspect) you still have small claim court rights?
Old 09-17-2021, 06:18 AM   #54

Exclamation Oh. Oh.

Quote:
We bought our brand new 2020 Coachmen by Forest river in Dec 2019. We have about 3000 miles on it. Last week our first tire blew out and took out my whole inner wheel well with it. I changed out on the hiway and made it home on my spare. Upon getting home I checked the remaining tires and found that the other 3 had steel belts showing, bulging and twisted threads meaning they too were about to blow. All tires were made in same month with the same DOT number. I contacted my dealer they said contact the tire manufacturer. I did, lions gate sent me a form with a bunch of conditions and told me they would not replace the tires until all the conditions were met. I completed the form and conditions (pics, vin, description etc) a few days ago and still waiting for them to contact me back. Best they will likely offer is a new set of garbage tires. Mean while I contacted my dealer about the damage and they said that they were not responsible because I'm beyond my year warranty and that they could not look at it till Dec. I contacted Forest river and they said contact the tire company. I asked them for the parts to replace and they told me they would not help me out. I'm at a loss. This Forest river customer service is garbage and so is any warranty they apply. Its buyer beware. If you have these castle rock tires ST 205 75R 14, DOT JUJT 1119 change them immediately! If anyone has any advice on how to get the dealer or Forest river to fix this let me know
Now you tell me. I just bought a new 2022 43 foot Sabre fiver by Forest River with those tires. However, my trailer came with an all inclusive warranty, including the tires ( I checked ).
Klieva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:36 AM   #55

I have a 2021 Forrest River Sierra fifth wheel. Came with those castle rock tires. So far two had separation and over a 3 month period I have switched all 4 out. I went with Saliun's, so much better and not really that expensive. I had a 2016 TT from Forrest River before this unit. Same Castle Rock tires and they crapped out too!
cuttymcgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:48 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klieva View Post
Now you tell me. I just bought a new 2022 43 foot Sabre fiver by Forest River with those tires. However, my trailer came with an all inclusive warranty, including the tires ( I checked ).
If it were me, I would take this thread back to the dealer to read, and demand that they put some decent tires on. You don't want to have a blowout on a 43ft fiverr!

Ask the dealer if they'd rather replace those tires now, or pay for the damage and possible personal injuries or deaths that happen when they explode on you.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires