Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2021, 05:23 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Castle Rock Tires exploding

We bought our brand new 2020 Coachmen by Forest river in Dec 2019. We have about 3000 miles on it. Last week our first tire blew out and took out my whole inner wheel well with it. I changed out on the hiway and made it home on my spare. Upon getting home I checked the remaining tires and found that the other 3 had steel belts showing, bulging and twisted threads meaning they too were about to blow. All tires were made in same month with the same DOT number. I contacted my dealer they said contact the tire manufacturer. I did, lions gate sent me a form with a bunch of conditions and told me they would not replace the tires until all the conditions were met. I completed the form and conditions (pics, vin, description etc) a few days ago and still waiting for them to contact me back. Best they will likely offer is a new set of garbage tires. Mean while I contacted my dealer about the damage and they said that they were not responsible because I'm beyond my year warranty and that they could not look at it till Dec. I contacted Forest river and they said contact the tire company. I asked them for the parts to replace and they told me they would not help me out. I'm at a loss. This Forest river customer service is garbage and so is any warranty they apply. Its buyer beware. If you have these castle rock tires ST 205 75R 14, DOT JUJT 1119 change them immediately! If anyone has any advice on how to get the dealer or Forest river to fix this let me know
Shawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2021, 05:31 PM   #2

I’m guessing this is a travel trailer? Is it possible you have an axel alignment issue? Just replacing the tires may not solve your problem.
jondrew55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:31 PM   #3

Sorry to hear about your problem. I never heard about Castle Tires so I looked them up. They appear to have a 5 year warrantee. Probably pro-rated but who knows. Normally companies will not cover 'collateral damage' caused by their products. You may get lucky and they will, but don't hold your breath.

I wouldn't see where it is Forest River's responsibility either. Lots of times the induvial parts manufacturer will warrantee something, but not the end user or Forest River in this case.

Keep us informed, OK?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:37 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Jondrew55 Would that have caused all 4 tires belts to let go or shift? Tire wear is even some cupping but basically I would think that alignment would have un even wear like a car. Interesting thought though. Thanks
Old 09-09-2021, 05:40 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Yes Bigd9 they have a 2 year warranty based on my paper work from the dealer but the web site they sent me to says 48 months from date of purchase. When you read the warranty claim details they will only replace the tires not collateral damage. Thats why I went to forest river. My Dealer says they can't do anything either. I am basically left with garbage tires and a big hole in my brand new trailer. Thanks for the response.
Old 09-09-2021, 05:40 PM   #6

Steel belts showing in 3,000 miles

Can you post the pictures here ?
Old 09-09-2021, 05:47 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I'm new to the site if you tell me how to post pics I can
Old 09-09-2021, 05:49 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Figured it out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire damage.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	342546  
Old 09-09-2021, 05:51 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Skip426 above The pics show the belt exposed on a fully inflated tire. The exploded one is the one that blew up and the third has a bulge on the side wall. The 4th tread (no pic) was all twisted as is the 2nd and 3rd when you look down it.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #10

Call your insurance company and file a claim. They will cover the damage.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:15 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Mich F thanks, I did call my insurance they said that they doubt that it will be covered because it was not caused by any road hazard. I likely could fight that but they said its $1000 deductible I can fix and replace all for less than that. Its all just extremely frustrating to be honest.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:41 PM   #12

Those tires only have 3000 miles on them? They look like they have about 30,000 on them. Something is definitely wrong here. I wonder if your axles are way out of alignment? If so this is a Forest River issue.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawz View Post
Mich F thanks, I did call my insurance they said that they doubt that it will be covered because it was not caused by any road hazard. I likely could fight that but they said its $1000 deductible I can fix and replace all for less than that. Its all just extremely frustrating to be honest.
That not being caused by a road hazard is BS. My son (fortunately for me) own's an RV repair shop. He frequently gets RVs (mainly trailers) in his shop that have had blowouts and are covered by their respective insurance carriers. Your issue could be your $1000 deductible. On the other hand depending on what has been damaged or needs replacement, it doesn't take much to get well over $1000 to get things back to where they should be.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:17 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Tap4154 Thanks for the feedback. The pics are deceiving because they show the damage with little context. Here is a pic of the 4th tire tread. You can see the alignment looks off almost twisted I guessed from the belts broken The tread itself looks good and this tire is relatively even wear. I would think if the alignment was off the tires would be worn much like a bad car alignment. Im no expert though. Perhaps someone else knows?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire 3.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	342555  

Tags
tire, tires