Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2020, 09:15 AM   #1

Cha-chunk cha-chunk - what's that noise!

Hi!

When we pull our Trailmanor, behind our Toyota Tundra and pull off slowly the ball/hitch/trailer, makes this cha-chunk sound over and over again every few seconds. It's like the trailer goes forward and then goes back and we can't figure it out.

My husband seems to think it's because the hitch is adjustable, and not one piece. We had to get an adjustable one to raise it up because our bumper is pretty low on the truck. We know our weight measurements are correct, it's under 3000 lb, unload it.

The ball size is correct we double-checked. I'm starting to wonder if it's the trailer brakes? It seems like it slides around to me on the ball and that's what's making the noise, or maybe it's the trailer brakes firing off pulling it back? Any thoughts?

As soon as we get going to a good speed it just goes along fine. It's as soon as we slow down or start to go up to 10 mph maybe a little bit more we hear this horrible noise every few seconds. Thanks for the help!
~
MommaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2020, 09:38 AM   #2

Is the hitch pin holding the receiver in place on the truck the right size? Maybe too small?
Stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #3

My utility trailer does this. I don't worry about it
Old 07-19-2020, 04:31 PM   #4

Good thought. It is the pin that came with the hitch. ����

Ok KenZ71, thanks good to know!
~
MommaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:59 PM   #5

Anything in the hitch arrangement that has slop in its fit can cause shifting sounds at low steady speeds. A worn drawbar, worn hitch, worn holes in either, worn pins, loose ball, etc can all be culprits, There are anti-rattle hitch tighners you can buy to help take some of the slop out and minimize the noise.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:05 PM   #6

Here's a link that may help -- I use something almost identical to this, and it really works to take the slop out of the hitch:

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Anti-...8aAgT2EALw_wcB
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:52 PM   #7

I'd borrow a bicycle and ride alongside as someone else starts from a stop. You might be able to home in on the sound.... you'd at lease be able to tell which side it was coming from, and from the tow vehicle or from the trailer.

Mike
Old 07-20-2020, 03:54 AM   #8

Ride a bike next to a moving vehicle & trying to focus in on odd sounds? Could work. Could also go quite bad, I would end up trying to look at trailer and not see something that would lead me to falling under a wheel.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:54 AM   #9

No bike for me. I would try sitting in the back of the truck and watching and listening.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:16 AM   #10

What ever it is I wouldn't just ignore it. I ignored a strange sound before and ended up spending the night on an overpass on hwy 101 north of San Fran.

If you have concerns, chase down the problem so you know what it is then deal with it before it gets worse.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:48 AM   #11

The ball mount fits kinda loose in the receiver on our rig. Trailer pulling was fine but I carried bikes on it as well. The bikes would move side to side more than what I thought they should so I ended up making a shim to take care of the slop. This helped with the clunking noise as well.

Both my Jeep Cherokees are unibody and really pick up the noise when I pull a trailer at low speeds. Not much to do about them but I do routinely check the mounting to make sure nothing has come loose.

MommaRN,, you're probably fine but I would get under there and make sure everything is tight.

Btw, a tightened friction sway controller on a trailer will sometimes cause popping/groaning noises when turning at low speeds as well. A lot of people loosen it when maneuvering backing into a campsite.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #12

I'd double check your trailer hitch. Sometimes the latch in the hitch gets rusty and sticks when you lower the latching lever. Lubricate it up and make sure it slides all the way forward to engage the bottom of your hitch ball.
Travis98146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:33 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Are you sure you have the right size ball?
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #14

Since there several different tow ball and trailer hitch sizes, I'd try to see if there is a size stamped on the tongue of your trailer.
Travis98146 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise