Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 06:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
I'm the guy you passed who was doing 60mph.

No TPMS, but I'm also the guy you see checking his tire pressure every morning before pulling out. ...and even sometimes during fuel stops.
After the tire problems I've had, the slightest variations in pressures has me headed to the tire store.
What allowance do you make for temperature when checking tire pressure at fuel stops?
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
2500HD
When you upgrade to a new trailer why not simply buy a trailer made by a company that uses good tires in the first place?
(Common sense should tell you: if the builder uses useless tires on a "brand new trailer" everything about the trailer is suspect).
Mel
'96 Safari
You make a very valid and sensible point!
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #31

Quote:
2500HD
When you upgrade to a new trailer why not simply buy a trailer made by a company that uses good tires in the first place?
(Common sense should tell you: if the builder uses useless tires on a "brand new trailer" everything about the trailer is suspect).
Mel
'96 Safari
Perhaps you could point to a company that does use good tires. I have yet to find one. Maybe it's not so simple after all.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:17 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Perhaps you could point to a company that does use good tires. I have yet to find one. Maybe it's not so simple after all.
Ditto, only on some of the heavier 5ers are they now starting to provide them with good tires. Don't know of any TTs, unless you work that out in the deal.... otherwise "China Bomb".
scottygl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #33

I believe that having at least 20% over-capacity per tire, as listed on the sidewall @ psi, vs what is actually carried by each tire, is the first line of defense against blowouts. How many know those actual figures--at least what is ACTUAL trailer weight is that is on all 4 tires? Many mfgs provide tires that barely carry the gross weight - the tongue/pin weight--I think that is the primary tire problem. I just put Sailuns (chinese) on after a set of Michelins and later a set of Coopers. I was dead set against chinese-origin tires til I began to see the reports on Sailuns. I now have them on the front of my 450--will have to see how that works out.
I run trailer tires with 4805lbs capacity each against 13200lbs total on the tires = 3300lbs/tire.
While I haven't been able to weigh it side x side x wheel, I am at about 69% of total tire capacity. No blowouts in 8 years and many miles of towing, only one flat.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:34 AM   #34

Do what ever you need to do so you are comfortable driving down the road, asking a Tire question on here will confuse you more.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The brand ? What brand ?

Use what ever brand you want but at least share the name of the junk brand.
Tow Max.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #36

I agree. Cheapest tire means greater profit. I'd change asap. From someone who failed to do so and experienced several blowouts and tread separations before being convinced. My maxxis tires were still good after 5 years. Trail express began failing in less than 1 year and 5000 miles. Just my experience. V
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:22 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
The speed rating on ALL ST tires is 65mph..."
Incorrect. Some trailer tires now have higher speed ratings. The tires on my trailer are L-rated, good for 75mph. I still tow at 65mph or under, but mostly because that's where my truck's gearing meshes best with its power curve.

You need to check the specs on your specific tires, as a given model tire can have different speed ratings for different sizes, and even different sub-models of the same size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
What allowance do you make for temperature when checking tire pressure at fuel stops?
I don't check pressures at fuel stops, but I do feel the sidewall temperature at every stop - takes just a second per tire, so its part of my walk-around inspection. A tire loosing pressure will run hotter, and heat is what generally causes tires to ultimately blow before its time.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltimer View Post
You can also get the dealer to swap your wheels and tires with the new ones.
Not until it has changed hands and then the dealer is at risk with the manufacturer if changing to something not recommended by them.

Before the papers are signed the manufacturer would be violating a regulation with stiff monetary penalties.

The dealer can change name brands. They are not mentioned in the regulation. However they will have to be the same identical size including load range.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:55 AM   #39

Quote:
2500HD
Mel
'96 Safari
I'm not sure how up you are on TT's these days. very few if any come with name brand tires. I know Jayco offers 16in maxxis tires as an upgrade on the EAGLE, but we are not looking at the eagle line. Virtually no run of the mill company puts name brand tires on. When you get into high end fifth wheels a lot of them are coming with Michelin LT tires from the factory. That's about it.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:53 AM   #40

Quote:
2500HD
Mel
'96 Safari
I don't see where this is a valid statement. The majority of RV manufacturers are using Chineese tires unless the custormer negotiates an upgrade. Even the manufacturers of mid and upper level units have to compete by keeping prices low, and the net result is "adequate" tires from China.

But, it would be a smart idea for all RV manufacturers to include a tire upgrade as an option.

And, there are many owners that haven't had any problems with stock tires. I think this may be related to not overloading the rv, maintaining proper air pressure and not exceeding recommended maximum towing speed.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:14 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafordguy View Post
Tow Max.
I had Tow Max on my 2011 Palomino and they were good tires for 5 years, then my next to last trip I had a blowout. I always kept the tires covered and used 303 Protectant on them all the time. They still looked good, but I should have replaced them when they hit 5 years. I'd use them again. I replaced them with Maxxis.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:16 AM   #42

I bought Chinese tires for my MH. No problems. I run Michelins on my Pickup. After 2 years the Michelins cracked , Called the Michelin outlet and the gave me 4 new tires.
I assume their tires must be defective and they know it. Not only that, maybe Michelins and some other brands are made in China with their name on it.
Cheers Gerald
Gerald Duerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires