Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #1

Charging batteries while towing trailer

What system do recommend so that the batteries on my trailer will charge while I’m plugged into my truck while towing it.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2020, 02:15 PM   #2

It is likely that all of the required wiring is already in place. It is also likely that there is a fuse in the truck that was not installed. The factory leaves that fuse out in order to avoid having a hot unterminated wire.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:39 PM   #3

Yes there should be a hot wire in the plug receiver on the truck.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #4

Looks like the OP got his answer. Been thinking about the TV feed into the trailer.

Does the voltage regulator on the truck "see" the trailer batteries or is charging voltage only based on the TV's battery(s)??

For example, if the TV battery(s) were discharged deeply and the trailer was fully charged, would the truck continue to push 14.4 volts plus into the trailer batteries? Would a potential overcharge exist? Boil the Trailer batteries on a hot day?
Oregon RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:18 PM   #5

The voltage of the TV battery will drop, once you connect the lower voltage, trailer battery to it. Voltage flows from high to low.

If you ever jump started a car with a running car, you can hear the alternator of the running car whine a bit as it ramps up its output.

How much the TV battery volts drops, and how many amps move thru it, depends on the wire size, lenght and alternator amp capabilities.

The alternator will sense the TV battery voltage drop and increase its output.

All alternators are regulated for 12 volt batteries, they will not overcharge them.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:05 AM   #6

Thank you for your replies. I’m going to check the fuses and truck info. It’s a 2019 Ram 1500. Thanks again
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:18 PM   #7

Some tow vehicles are different from others regarding charging ability. Usually they are designed to efficiently charge the engine start batteries.

In general, a truck tow vehicle will not likely overcharge the TT house batteries. The line loss and connector loss will limit the charging of house batteries. 10 gage wire from the truck alternator to the 7 pin hitch connector and ground tend to limit charging. Larger cabling can do better.

I would measure it to see what it is doing. Measure the voltage at the house battery terminals. Or better yet measure the current flow. Test when house batteries are low and again when they are fully charged.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:35 PM   #8
Cat

FYI 2015 up Ford F150 not sure about other models, have a very small power wire running back to the trailer plug, 18ga wire if I remember correctly. So you are not going to get much back to the trailer with a 11 foot long 18 GA wire. I like others ran a wire 10ga from my truck battery back to a new truck side 7pin connector.. Also the truck with the Ford wiring will not supply any power out unless you start the engine put the truck in gear. After that, it stays powered until you shut off the engine.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:24 PM   #9

Roof top solar works both in camp and while driving down the road.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocamper View Post
Roof top solar works both in camp and while driving down the road.
That's my solution too. In the 15 years my panels have been on the trailer roof, I haven't had to worry about charging the batteries, except in extended cloudy/snowy winter time.
billyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:56 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Be aware that the Ram trucks may discharge the truck battery if you leave the trailer connected overnight. Ford will not, don't remember if GM does. You should add an isolator if you put the charge relay in or eventually you will be needing a jump start, usually when it is least available.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Be aware that the Ram trucks may discharge the truck battery if you leave the trailer connected overnight. Ford will not, don't remember if GM does. You should add an isolator if you put the charge relay in or eventually you will be needing a jump start, usually when it is least available.

How do i determine if my TV battery can be drained if TT is connected overnight?

2017 toyota tundra trd pro. First TT arriving this week.

Thanks
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #13

Get a test light or volt meter and test for voltage on one of the trailer plugs pins of the TV, with the key on.
As long as the lights are off and no one is stepping on the braked, the hot one is the trailer feed charge line.

Now turn off the key and see if the power goes away. If it does, its a switched circuit.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:55 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
How do i determine if my TV battery can be drained if TT is connected overnight?

2017 toyota tundra trd pro. First TT arriving this week.

Thanks
See the attached image below for the pin out on the 7 way connector. Use your voltmeter with positive to pin 4 and ground to pin 1 on the Truck connector per twinboat's procedure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7_pin_trailer_plug.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	276034  

Tags
batteries, charging, tow, towing, trailer