Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have two 6v GC-2 batteries. They work fine. I use a 200 watt folding solar panel system to keep them charged up when possible, a Honda EU2000i gennie when it's not. Both systems work just fine.

Remember that whatever batteries you add to the tongue will increase your tongue weight by basically the exact weight of the batteries. You do already know what your tongue weight is, don't you? And if your tow vehicle is towing the trailer in ready to camp condition within it's capacities?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2016, 10:12 PM   #16

I'm surprised. My TT came eith a WFCO 8900 Series Power Center. The manual says it includes a 3 stage converter and will fully charge batteries with Absorption Mode, Bulk Mode and Float Mode. So, that's one less thing I need to buy. I guess, since the power bank in the trailer is virtually useless, a digital voltage meter is the only way to see when the battery is fully charged, correct?
Mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It would be anyway if you didn't know how to, or want to, check it with a specific gravity tester/hydrometer.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:04 PM   #18

Thanks for your replies. I know I sound incompetent, and with this, I am....for now. Thanks for your input and patience. I know I'll have plenty more questions as I go.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:17 AM   #19

Off hand we had one 12 V battery in our first MH. It would make it through a warm night but not a cold one with the furnace running. No idea how beat up the battery was at that point but changed it out the year before we traded it off for our current one. Two 12 V trolling motors will make it through a cold night. I start the generator in the AM and run it for an hour or two to get heat, hot water and charge the batteries. I also run it at the end of the day to get the microwave, heat and hot water. Might be A/C instead of heat depending on the weather at the time. It works to do that partly because the heavy lifting is done by the generator and partly because I run long enough to get through bulk charging. If we are on the road I let driving top off the batteries. If I am parked without power I don't worry about it. That should give you a reasonable expectation.

Going to bigger batteries has it's issues. Mostly weight but also cost and an upgraded charging system. If you are doing a lot of dry camping it might be worth trying out how to make it happen. If not I'd go for some solar to top off the batteries during the day. Going all solar is costly but using it as a topping tool and way to cover daily occasional usage is not bad.

A lot of what you do depends on usage. If you seldom dry camp a good generator will solve most of your power issues. It takes a decent size to run an A/C and charge batteries. Not so bad if a fan will keep you happy. Big battery banks are easy with a 40 ft DP but not so easy with a gas MH or trailer. The weight and bulk are both issues. Keep that in mind when evaluating advice. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:57 AM   #20
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Or if you leave it in the driveway all the time just leave it plugged in and forget about it. Yes you need to turn the battery disconnect to on to charge from shore power, not sure about the truck side on that.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:57 AM   #21

I know I can't run A/C off of batteries, but I can heat through the night when dry camping, correct? I assume that will drain the batteries down, and I'd have to recharge with a generator the following morning. We won't be dry camping in the middle of the summer or winter with 3 little kids. That will be reserved for mild spring and fall times. But, heat will still be needed for smallest kids overnight, most likely.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #22

2 6v batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberry32 View Post
I know I can't run A/C off of batteries, but I can heat through the night when dry camping, correct? I assume that will drain the batteries down, and I'd have to recharge with a generator the following morning. We won't be dry camping in the middle of the summer or winter with 3 little kids. That will be reserved for mild spring and fall times. But, heat will still be needed for smallest kids overnight, most likely.
I bought 2 GC2 batteries from the Sam's Club in Bogart GA which is near you (I live in Jefferson) and also ordered 2 of the GC2 batteries boxes and a jumper wire to hook them together off Amazon. See links below to these items. This set up should serve you well and your charger will work fine with them.

You'll want to measure amount of room you have on your battery tray in the front of your camper to make sure that you can fit the two boxes side by side with the lids on. Badlands Bob has a Winnebego Minnie and his battery tray was not quite long enough for 2 of these battery boxes to fit so he bought 1 box that would house both batteries.

You can indeed spend a lot of money on the Trojan batteries or a lithium ion set but this set up will work fine at less cost. Since you are just starting out this would be an alternative that would meet your needs for a modest amount of money.

Link for batteries is here.
Link for battery boxes is here.
Link for jumper wire between batteries is here.
Krazy Kajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:35 PM   #23
RPr

The DW and I were camping without power to attend a 3day seminar. We ran LED lights and the pump in the evening and the furnace for about 20 minutes a day. A relatively light load.

However, the refrigerator, radio/dvd player on standby, propane detector and antenna booster, (dummy me I forgot to turn it off) were on 24/7. The battery lasted for 2 days. The pump was working but could not make enough pressure to turn itself off.

I was told charging through the 7 pin connector would take a while so I pulled the jumpers out and charged the battery for about 20 minutes directly from the truck. This got us through the 3rd day.

The battery is three years old and the temp was in the 30's and 40's.

I have measured the phantom loads as high as a half amp depending on what was drawing power, so I guess a two day run is a good guess on our off grid capabilities.

That is fine for us but I would not serve very well for boondocking.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:26 AM   #24

Good news on the 3 stage. I missed that yesterday.

A hydrometer is probably more accurate than a voltmeter for measuring state of charge but a voltmeter is handier and easier. Better is partly a function of quality of the test instrument and process so a general statement is a bad idea.

If your battery is below 50% you are significantly cutting into it's life expectancy. That is why it pays to be proactive with a generator It does not take a lot of generator to charge the battery. Significantly less that it takes to run the A/C or microwave. You can do it with one of the $100 specials but your neighbors will complain about the noise. ;-) That is why folks usually recommend 2000 watt inverter generators. YMMV.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:59 AM   #25

Thanks. We will be looking at generators in a few months. I had planned to buy a Honda, but stalled when I realized a 2000w wouldn't be enough. I understand with a 15.0btu A/C unit, I'll need a 3000 watt unit to run everything in the camper?

I saw an Echo Bearcat inverter generator at Ace the other day. Looked very similar to Honda and the manager said they are extremely quiet, much like Honda and much cheaper. I think the 3000 watt was $1300. 2000 watt was $700, I think. I can't find much about them online, but I've had great luck with small Echo engines before. All my yard tooks, and even my chainsaw, are Echo. Never a single problem. If they are as quiet as the Honda, I'll probably go that route. Would 2 2000 watt generators maybe be better than a single 3000 watt?
Old 12-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #26

When we bought our first TT in 2015 it had a 13.5 btu ac in it, so I bought a Yamaha 2400 watt inverter generator, but it would not run the AC until I put a hard start capacitor in the AC. Then earlier this year we traded that new TT for a bigger new TT and it came with a 15K AC and while I have read that the 2400 Yammy should be able to run the 15K AC if everything else in the TT is turned off I haven't tried it. I think I am going to sell my 2400 and get a 3100 watt inverter generator. We live in Florida, so having AC is a necessity here. I have read many great reviews on the Champion inverter generators and a friend has one for his TT and likes it. You might want to check the Champion line out. They are very reasonably priced. The Yamahas and Hondas are great units, but very pricy. While I have no personal experience with two 2K generators I have read that there are some advantages to using them. Less weight per unit to handle and the need to only take one with you if AC is not needed are a couple of advantages.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:14 AM   #27
RPr

I would be slow to purchase camping gear until I needed it. I have several "must have" items that I rarely if ever use.

If you camp and go like we do, staying perhaps two or three days sightseeing then moving on to the next state park; your camping accessories are far different from those who go to one spot to fish for two weeks.

Like wise if the DW want full hookups, your needs are different than those who boondock.

It certainly is nice to have the gear you need but hauling gear you never use gets old fast.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging