RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #1

Charging question

Iím doing a one time dry camping at a farm in Tennessee at the end of November. Iím going to replace my weak battery on my 26 foot Winnebago trailer with a good deep cycle battery. I just plan to use the led lights, propane fridge, and if itís cold Iíll have to use the furnace sparingly. Iíll be there three days and imagine the battery alone wonít get me through. If I thought my truck would charge the battery by plugging in the seven pin Iíd do that, but what Iíve read says thatís doubtful. So I may suck up my cheapness and get a small generator about 2000 watts. I could aways use it at home if I have a power failure to run the fridge and a light or two. So if I do go the generator route how long does it have to run to recharge the battery? I donít see needing one for any other purpose other than recharging the battery if thatís needed.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2020, 03:01 PM   #2

It will vary but 2 or 3 hours pobably. Get a cheap digital voltmeter and that will tell you when the converter drops back down from it's charging voltage. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #3

Save some more money and pick up a 1000 generator, if battery charging is its only job.
Plug the trailer into it and put the onboard charger do its thing. 3 to 4 hours will do it for each day but not if your going to put it away, in storage. You want a 8 plus hour charge to get it to 100% before storing it.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:07 PM   #4

Thanks. This is for a temporary stop on my way to Florida. Afterwards Iíll be in a CG with full hookups.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:11 PM   #5

Then again maybe buying a second battery is smarter.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:38 PM   #6

I did a 3 day boondock once before I went to the 2 battery upgrade. I simply used a jumper cable set to my truck and left it idle for 3 hrs each day. Got us thru. Good jumpers are usually 6 gauge wire.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:19 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree with the use of jumper cables along with a decent DMM. If the voltage on the batteries drops near 12.00V then hook the jumper cables up to your truck battery and use the alternator to charge them. The wiring in your 7 pin connector is way to light to due much charging - jumper cables are usually heavy gauge and short and can easily handle the current for charging. You may just be able to make 3 days without charging - it mostly comes down to furnace as that fan motor is a heavy draw - as is the slide motor (if you have one).
Old 11-15-2020, 05:42 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Though call on what to do.... Borrow a small Genny.. And charger...

Get a good battery. A 24 vs. 31. Group can be. 3-6 hours of use..

A good vehicle to TT chger. Would. Be good for future. 10 to. 20 amp max CHG rate at best is what u can get out of OEM wiring. 6 to 8 hrs to recharge a dead dead single rv bat.
Those normally won't smart charge off truck. So you may only get 90% CHG..

I for one only used basic bat chgers forever.. Switched to smart charge .. Rv batteries last longer in both rundown and storage...

Now for you weekend trip.. IMO.. Harbor freight. 2000 watt predator. With warranty and coupon.. Add a good charger the u can us at home to keep battery good.
2000 unit is quiet.. Will run a bit more stuff. . I have extra batteries and my Honda 1000 rn hard trying to run fridge and bat charger ... It works but the cheap ryobi I have stays on eco and will run my coffee..... If need be.

I boondock 2-3 times a year... Over last 12 years.. I grabbed. My 2000 unit.
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:51 AM   #9

Thanks for the tips. If I can swing the money I’ll buy the gen. If not I’ll try using the truck.
If I buy a gen I see they all have standard outlets on them. Do I just buy an adapter to plug in my 50 amp TT plug? Also which gen do you recommend? The harbor freight only has a 90 warranty so that concerns me.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:48 AM   #10

You will need one of these.lClick image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2020-11-15-08-47-31.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	308073
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:17 AM   #11

2000 gen is great, I have a Honda.
I have only dry camped once for 3 or so months in AZ.
Ran gen for about 4 hours a day, to charge 2 batts, one I used the DC plug on the batt charger, other a 6 amp/highest setting on my batt charger. I would run/charge the hotwater on elec and cook on elec wile gen was running. Tv and box and sat dish till about 9 then shut off gen. Used a inverter to watch tv later into the night, but had to disconnect inverter before bed, because cooling fan always running.
2 days, one batt, not using the furnace, no problem.
For heat, I use a blue flame heater, some hear hate it, im not dead yet and have no problems with it. It uses no electric, will heat in cool AZ night for 2 or more weeks on one 20lb tank. And, that's at times hot water and cooking.
If your going to run the gen, then use the power, AKA, crockpot, hotplate/s, hot water.
Cool thing about a 2000 is one is sopposed to be able to get a slow start kit for the ac and run the ac from a 2000 gen.
Traveler4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You will need one of these.lAttachment 308073
Thatís what I thought.
If I can honestly charge my deep cycle battery with my truck and cables that will save me some dough. My TT shows the charge level on the battery ie 75 percent etc so I can charge it each morning. So if that works I can run the truck till the gauge shows 100 percent. I guess at the end of the day I need to succeed or fail to learn what I need to do.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj48009 View Post
I’m doing a one time dry camping at a farm in Tennessee at the end of November. I’m going to replace my weak battery on my 26 foot Winnebago trailer with a good deep cycle battery. I just plan to use the led lights, propane fridge, and if it’s cold I’ll have to use the furnace sparingly. I’ll be there three days and imagine the battery alone won’t get me through. If I thought my truck would charge the battery by plugging in the seven pin I’d do that, but what I’ve read says that’s doubtful. So I may suck up my cheapness and get a small generator about 2000 watts. I could aways use it at home if I have a power failure to run the fridge and a light or two. So if I do go the generator route how long does it have to run to recharge the battery? I don’t see needing one for any other purpose other than recharging the battery if that’s needed.
I have a 21' Kodiak Cub. The pair of group 31 100 amp hour AGM batteries will run the furnace and everything for three nights with reserve when temperatures are below freezing at night. Your rig is bigger so three nights may be a stretch.

I have a 1000 watt Honda portable generator. It fits easily in the Cub pass through storage. It is easy to lift and move. It runs at near idle for 5 hours on a tank full while charging house batteries. On the other hand it cost almost as much as a 2000 watt Honda.

Less expensive brands are now available. Make sure you store it with no fuel in it for long term storage. Drain tank. Run fuel lines and carb dry. Small engines don't do well with old gas.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:52 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I had a popup I'd run that, and charge the battery from the tow vehicle exclusively. There's two ways I'd do it, depending on what I was running.

Method one is to just connect the trailer battery to the vehicle via whatever handy means, usually it was a 12ga extension cord. Yes, that's a lot of drop and could potentially take a long time to charge but the popup battery was small, and so where the loads. I would leave it connected all the time so the tow vehicle battery also supplied some capacity when the vehicle wasn't running.

Method two was to run an AC inverter off of the tow vehicle battery, plug the popup AC into that and run the onboard charger in the popup to charge the battery. I'd call that the "turbo" charge because it would charge at full rate and it was a pretty hefty load on the alternator (30-40A). As a plus, I would have low power AC in the camper for running small devices.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging