Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2019, 06:37 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Charleston SC. Real reviews.

So my wife and I are looking for real reviews from you all of the rv parks/campgrounds near Charleston SC for the summertime. Looking at the web to find reviews has seen its share of positive and terrible reviews of places near Charleston. We we're hoping for some real reviews from people we feel are trustworthy that have been in the area to make a better informed decision.

Any help would be Great and I hope helpful for other members who may be planning to go through at some point.

I am also hoping that the title will help shape the search so it is friendlier using the search on the app.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2019, 07:02 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I stayed at James Island County Park Campground and thought it was fantastic. I stayed in Feb so don’t have summertime experience. I know there is a pool and splash park and lots of walking/biking trails. Very convenient to get into downtown Charleston for sightseeing. Not too far from Foley Beach. Don’t have experience with any other parks in the area.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:12 AM   #3

Have stayed at this campground twice.

Very good location for visiting Charleston and Folly Beach

Oak Plantation Campground, Charleston SC - Home
Old 02-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #4

We've stayed at James Island and Oak Plantations and you can't go wrong with either one. Charleston is a great walking city. The restaurants are super. Have a great trip.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:55 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Have stayed at this campground twice.

Very good location for visiting Charleston and Folly Beach

Oak Plantation Campground, Charleston SC - Home
Thanks!
Old 02-23-2019, 10:56 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Pilot View Post
We've stayed at James Island and Oak Plantations and you can't go wrong with either one. Charleston is a great walking city. The restaurants are super. Have a great trip.
Thanks
Old 02-23-2019, 12:42 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I start my search with CampgroundReviews.com and after I narrow my search I start looking up each campground on campsitephotos.com to get an idea of what it looks like on the ground. After one passes those tests I search the camp on Youtube and more often than not it will come back with several videos of it, sometimes with drone footage.

That gives you a pretty good idea of what type of campground it is, how much space you have and what the scenery is like.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #8

Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks is a collection of reviews by people who actually stayed and often has a picture of the site they stayed in.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:50 PM   #9

Mt Pleasant KOA is a very nice park. Close to everything.
allenb12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:18 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I start my search with CampgroundReviews.com and after I narrow my search I start looking up each campground on campsitephotos.com to get an idea of what it looks like on the ground. After one passes those tests I search the camp on Youtube and more often than not it will come back with several videos of it, sometimes with drone footage.

That gives you a pretty good idea of what type of campground it is, how much space you have and what the scenery is like.
[emoji41] now those are great tips I never knew to look for!!!!
Old 02-24-2019, 05:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st-tt2018 View Post
Thanks

FYSA James Island County park runs a triathlon series in the summer. 5 Sundays in summer are busy for a few hours in the morning. It is clear by noon.
redbicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenb12 View Post
Mt Pleasant KOA is a very nice park. Close to everything.
X2...
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
I stayed at James Island County Park Campground and thought it was fantastic. I stayed in Feb so don’t have summertime experience. I know there is a pool and splash park and lots of walking/biking trails. Very convenient to get into downtown Charleston for sightseeing. Not too far from Foley Beach. Don’t have experience with any other parks in the area.
X2 on this.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:19 PM   #14

We stayed at Oak Plantation for 3 weeks in November 2017. It wasn't the best place we've ever stayed but certainly not the worst either. Everyone is different, but here are our pros and cons.
Pros
Nice size RV sites. Reasonable in price. Outside of town but an easy drive to downtown Charleston. An easy drive to one of the nature preserves a little further out of town. A short distance to a bicycle path.
Cons
The water stunk. We run our water through a filter outside the RV and then have a Brita water filter inside the RV for our drinking water. Running water through both filters and the water still tasted like swamp water so we had to drink bottled water the whole time there. It's on a fairly busy 4 lane road that can be hard to get out on the road especially at rush hour. I used the bathroom/shower house a couple of times during our stay and it always had a musty smell, it was clean, just had a musty smell.

If we ever go back I would not hesitate staying there again. The Pros outweighed the cons.

If you enjoy eating out in restaurants may I suggest you do a "food tour" with one of the companies that does this sort of thing. We did one, I can't remember the name of the company we used but we were able to sample quite a few places and the food was fantastic! We also got a good history lesson of Charleston along with it.