RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2019, 08:03 PM   #1

Chock Question

I have a packed-gravel area where I would like to park my Mallard M185 (21' about 4,500 lbs). I have sturdy chocks, but I'm worried that they may slide on the gravel and the trailer will roll.

I was thinking of mounting each yellow chock on the end of a 2"x8"x4' board so that each wheel would be resting on a board and a chock. That way, a chock could never dislocate allowing the trailer to move.

What do y'all think of this solution? Asking also for better ideas.

Thanks,

Brenwol
Brenwol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2019, 08:14 PM   #2

Are they the plastic ones? Or heavy rubber?
JSPulliam21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:37 PM   #3

Big yellow hard plastic. From CW.

https://www.campingworld.com/large-wheel-chock
Old 01-26-2019, 08:41 PM   #4

I use a short 4X4 bolted to a rubber mudflap, and a 2X4 bolted and spaced so the tire fits between the blocks. I put wood down so I back onto the flap, over the 2X and against the 4X. This way the chocks don't move, and the flap keeps weeds from growing near the tire, reducing the chance of string damage.
I keep the store-bought chocks in the trailer to use when camping.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:00 PM   #5

I like your idea Brenwol1. I would think it would be difficult for the hard plastic to bite into the hard pack gravel
Old 01-26-2019, 09:07 PM   #6

I've also seen/read that tires should rest on a rounded artform to prevent "flat spots" from forming on the tires. Is this really important for trailer that will not be stored for more than 8 or so weeks at a time?
Old 01-26-2019, 09:18 PM   #7

Take a look at X Chocks....no, mine sits for 6 months every winter with me in it...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:21 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When parking our RVs I have a 6 x 6" timber spiked into the ground (24" long rebar) to serve as the rear stopping alignments and then place a heavy duty rubber chock in front of two tires. No issue about it rolling as the gravel parking pads are leveled to +/- 1" in every direction. The tires rest on concrete pavers to keep them off the ground. I also painted a red line on the 6 x 6 blocks to serve as a left/right alignment mark. To make everything fit into the required space at home and still open the slides I have to be within 1" forward/backwards and left/right of the target spot when backing in.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:24 PM   #9

Ours sits for up to 6 weeks at a time with no tire issues. When we are in it I use x chocks and heavy duty rubber chocks in front and back of the tires unless I need to level it then I use my andersen leveling chocks. No issues.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:33 PM   #10

FYI...our trailer is single axle, so X chocks are not an option.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:07 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenwol1 View Post
I have a packed-gravel area where I would like to park my Mallard M185 (21' about 4,500 lbs). I have sturdy chocks, but I'm worried that they may slide on the gravel and the trailer will roll.

Brenwol
Parking on wood would work. Last winter I parked on wood slabs only my chocks were the small yellow chocks and it never rolled even though the chocks were not tacked down. Drop your stab jacks with wood under them as well so there's plenty of weight on them and combined with the tongue jack you have 5 additional points on the ground to keep your trailer from rolling.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Parking on wood would work. Last winter I parked on wood slabs only my chocks were the small yellow chocks and it never rolled even though the chocks were not tacked down. Drop your stab jacks with wood under them as well so there's plenty of weight on them and combined with the tongue jack you have 5 additional points on the ground to keep your trailer from rolling.
Most books say don't lift the trailer with stabs. If a tire looses air in the weeks it is setting the weight will transfer to stabs, the frame will not know you are not lifting...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Most books say don't lift the trailer with stabs. If a tire looses air in the weeks it is setting the weight will transfer to stabs, the frame will not know you are not lifting...
I said nothing about lifting the trailer. Use them as they are intended to be used - as stabilizer jacks. Whether the stab jacks are used or not check the tires once a month and keep them properly inflated. More often if need be.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
I said nothing about lifting the trailer. Use them as they are intended to be used - as stabilizer jacks. Whether the stab jacks are used or not check the tires once a month and keep them properly inflated. More often if need be.
I think his point was that setting the stabs properly could result in too much weight over time as the tires naturally bleed off air.