Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2021, 07:51 AM   #29

The XLS 22MLE looks like a nice floor plan. Paired with your Ram you should have a great setup.
Happy Camping.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2021, 08:02 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjunkie View Post
Thank you all for your input.

We found a deal on a one year old Grand Design Imagine XLS 22MLE that we couldn't pass up. The overall length is 26' and it fits in our side yard. We haven't had it out yet but a short trip is booked for the end of the month.
It's a big step up from our 19 year old popup. We'll see if we out grow it and wish it were longer. Our popup was still in pretty good condition considering it's age and a nice young couple will hopefully get another 5 or so years out of it.
Congratulations on the new trailer! I just looked at the floorplan and that is a really great layout and better than what we had when we owned a Winnebago Minnie. It is as good a layout as I think I have ever seen in a trailer of that length. Our Minnie didn't have any seating other than the dinette, and we ended up really disliking it. So, we removed the dinette and replaced it with a nice couch. But, a year later, we decided we needed something larger for our longer trips....which led to purchasing our MH. But if I were going back to a smaller rig....the trailer you found would be on my short list! Great choice!.

Get out and enjoy it! Over time, you'll find out what you love about it, and what you don't. The more traveling and camping you do, the more you will be able to find out if the size is best for you and/or what size would be preferable when and if you decide to change rigs.

And...there's a lot of fun in adapting an RV to meet your lifestyle. So, enjoy!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:40 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Small is good: More option to camp into smaller campsites, lighter, less maintenance, less time to wash and wax.

Big is better: More easy to back. Great on long duration trips, when weathered in, and when you have grand kinds and guest along for a trip.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #32

Sounds like you got a great TT. For two+ years we had a Nash 17K which was 22-1/2' tongue to bumper. We ended up liking camping with it more than we thought we would and decided it was too small for longer trips and for rainy winter days when staying inside it more. It did not have a bedroom door which was an issue as my wife gets up a couple of hours earlier than me. The most important feature for us was the large rear window so when we started looking for a larger TT, the rear window was the first factor. In order to keep the rear window, get a bedroom door, and not get too long, our options were somewhat limited. We ended up with a Nash 26N which is 29' tongue to bumper. We originally thought we did not want a slide out for mechanical/dependability reasons. But the 26N came with a dinette slide so we have it. I love the extra space when the slide is out, but I hold my breath every time I cycle it in and out. I would say for us the ideal size would have been a foot or two shorter. That would make it just a bit easier with Forest Service campgrounds. Also, the Nash line has extra high clearance and a tall interior ceiling so it is probably at least a foot taller than it really needs to be.

I guess the moral of this long story is that there are so many other factors that go into determining what length TT is best for you. In our case we ended up a bit longer than we thought we wanted to be, but there are other features of this floorplan that make the extra length a good compromise.

Even once we had the TT, I still thought about all the factors that went into the decision. I even measured the inside of the TT and made notes to see if the exact floorplan could have been made any shorter. I determined the Nash 26N could have easily been 28' or maybe even 27-1/2' instead of 29' and no difference would be noticed inside. So if I had designed it, it would have ended up the Nash 25N! But overall it is a great floorplan for us. Anything longer would really start to limit our campsite choices.
WillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:19 PM   #33

Wow, great floor plan.
Trailer envy setting in.
It’s the one we really wanted, but alas, we couldn’t get it up our steep windy mountain driveway.
Hope you have fair winds in your travels.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:33 AM   #34

Thank you all for the well wishes. We are very excited about the next chapter in our camping adventures.

The Imagine 26RB was our other consideration. Also a great layout. But we couldn't pass on this deal.

Even though backing up a longer trailer may be easier it takes a larger radius and in cramped quarters a larger radius can be a problem, I found that out putting a rented 30' TT into a spot designated up to 25' TT. I got it where I wanted it but the truck was practically in the ditch on the other side of the road getting it in.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:58 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Sit down in both trailers and do a bit of role playing.

If you have to spend several days inside because of inclement weather will you be comfortable? Is there room to cook and lay out a hobby? Is the bed comfortable? Is the shower large enough? Is there enough room to store everything you will need to spend whatever time to plan to be away.

Am not aware of many parks that are not able to accommodate a 30' trailer. Must be some but most parks tend to be conservative when stating the length (they likely estimate based on a newbie driver).

If both check your boxes get the one the wife likes the best.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjunkie View Post
Thank you all for your input.

We found a deal on a one year old Grand Design Imagine XLS 22MLE that we couldn't pass up. The overall length is 26' and it fits in our side yard. We haven't had it out yet but a short trip is booked for the end of the month.
It's a big step up from our 19 year old popup. We'll see if we out grow it and wish it were longer. Our popup was still in pretty good condition considering it's age and a nice young couple will hopefully get another 5 or so years out of it.

NIce! Congrats on the new trailer!
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer