Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2022, 05:41 PM   #1

Cold weather trailering

Happy new year all from a frost bitten Canadian. Wondering if anyone has experience trailering in sub freezing temperatures. Specifying worried about my poop tank/hose freezing. I figure insulation might work but not sure what kind. Also I considered putting a glue on block heater meant for cars on the tank. Does anyone have another suggestion?
TralrVirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2022, 05:54 PM   #2

Trailers are often more difficult to deal with than MHs in freezing temps, because often the water lines run under the floor and are exposed to the elements. Running electrical heat tape along exposed water pipes with foam pipe insulations should solve that problem. Tank heaters will also help. Don't forget the grey/black water dump lines. They need to be insulated/heated as well.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Insulation reduces the rate of heat transfer and does not stop heat transfer. If you have a heat source, it will have to have enough heat to keep the line from freezing. The stagnant line as in the exposed dump valves, they will freeze eventually. If you have heat pads on the waste tanks, they may or may not have enough heat to prevent freezing in the stagnant portion of the line. While traveling, there will be air moving over the exposed lines which will accelerate the heat loss.

A motorhome will typically have the dump valves in an enclosed and probably an unheated area. Being enclosed, it will reduce the likelihood of freezing.

My suggestion for travel in freezing weather is to completely drain the waste tanks and then pour a jug of RV antifreeze in each one to reduce the chance of freezing.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TralrVirgin View Post
Happy new year all from a frost bitten Canadian. Wondering if anyone has experience trailering in sub freezing temperatures. Specifying worried about my poop tank/hose freezing. I figure insulation might work but not sure what kind. Also I considered putting a glue on block heater meant for cars on the tank. Does anyone have another suggestion?
Good advice posted above.

Using the plumbing in freezing weather needs significant design features.
  • Belly cover insulated and sealed
  • Heat source like furnace duct to belly or electric heating pads for stationary use
  • Dump valves insulated and possibly with their own heat source.

Your fresh tank and water pump may be inside your heated cabin. That may work. Use a thermometer to monitor temp in closed spaces where there are water pipes. You may need a hair dryer to melt the fresh tank drain pipe for re-winterizing.

The stinky slinky may work without heat if you disconnect it and store in a warm place when not flushing. Some plastic ones may harden in the cold.

Electrically heated drain hoses are available. Stick on heating pads for waste tanks are also available. But you still need insulation and you need to protect the insulation from water intrusion to keep it working.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
RV antifreeze in the black tank and really limit home much water is put in the tank. It makes poopsicle but doesnt freeze hard and crack the pipe or tank. You will need to get it some place warm to drain it out . 4~5 gallons antifreeze in the tank first and flush with antifreeze while on the road to warmer area. The sell RV tank heater that can run on 12 volt or 120 volt , the 12 volt isnt really a good idea on larger tanks or more then a few hours in my opinion. 120 volt only works while your plugged in .
Old 01-02-2022, 06:32 PM   #6

Wow, thanks all for the awesome replies. It seems I should have taken more preparations before a cold snap fell on me. I’m plugged in and have two external outlets. So maybe one heat pad and.one string of heat tape might do the trick. Any thoughts on brands? I’ll likely have to Amazon them as I’m in a small town.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:05 AM   #7

Holding Tank Heaters
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-RV_...ating_Pad.aspx

Pipe heater
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Wa.../W01-1573.html

Valve wrap
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Wa...77-000161.html

Water hose heated
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...ng_Water_Hoses

All this and more comes with expert advice from etrailer.com.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Any thoughts on brands? I’ll likely have to Amazon them as I’m in a small town.
Check with the local hardware store or the general store if there's one there. Heat tape is a common thing needed in cold climates and I would expect any hardware store to have them, general store not so much. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Do NOT use a stick on heater that is for cars - they get way too hot. I think they say they are only for use on metal oil pans/tanks. You need a holding tank heat pad, they do not get as hot as the ones you are referring to.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:07 PM   #10

I just came back from a really cold camping trip in SW Utah. My trailer's underbelly is enclosed, I have heat pads on the tanks, and I put heat tape with insulation on the main drain line. I do have a vent from the propane heater that blows into the underbelly. The first night was in the mid twenties and we had no issues. Unfortunately, the following night we dropped down to 10 degrees with a stiff wind. We were using water from the freshwater tank however, in the morning we found that the shower and bathroom sink had no water. The kitchen was fine. I discovered that the water lines to the bathroom run on the opposite side of the trailer where the heating ducts are. This was also the side the wind was hitting.
We weren't worried as we had water at the kitchen sink however that drains into a really small tank at the rear of the trailer. This tank is heated however there are about 6 inches of pipe plus the valve exposed and they were completely frozen. I needed to dump this tank if were were going to continue to have fresh water but it had frozen shut. I hit the valve with a hair dryer for about ten minutes and was able to get the valve open but the pipe had an ice plug in it that I was unwilling to work on as the temp was 13! The grey and black tank with the heated pipe also had frozen valves. I made the call - we packed up and headed home! IF we ever plan to go out when it is below 20 I will have to get the bathroom water lines heated and wrapped and the exposed drain valves and pipe will need to be covered.

I think if I had some skirting the valves might not have frozen. I did learn that even if the tank is heated and you're putting warm or hot water into the tank any exposed and/or uninsulated lines and pipes WILL freeze.
alybry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:05 PM   #11

Thanks again all for the advise and experience. Special thanks to Paul for taking time to dig up those links for me. I will do some research and also check out the website you mentioned. Another member mentioned checking the local hardware store, I have done, all there carry looks a bit bulky for my one small plastic pipe that’s exposed, might work for the drain hose though, I’ll have to do some research into that as well. Hopefully I can save things before anything cracks. The cold snap has passed for now, sitting at a brick -2c. Still these issues require immediate attention. Thanks again for the help
Old 01-04-2022, 08:55 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
One thing to remember about the heated water hoses. They do not heat the hose bib. You will have to heat trace and insulate the hose bib.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 03:50 PM   #13

So much depends on your rig. If a trailer is 4 season then that means all the waste lines are enclosed. Need tank heaters (most efficient) or enclosed and heated belly (propane hog) and the other heated bits folks have mentioned. I had a "3 season" trailer with an enclosed under and the weak spot was the waste lines. I was going to set up some 12v heat to them but decided to sell the trailer. Those gate valves will freeze in minutes, and likewise with any exposed section of pipe. Now that I am in a Class A, I realize how weak trailers are in this department.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:39 PM   #14

Do you need to use the water? We have winter seasonal camped the last 4 years. We leave the trailer at a provincial park, with electricity but no water or sewer. There is a heated bathroom with showers in the campground, and we bring a porta-potty from the popup days for night time requirements. Also bring a 5 gallon jug of water with a hand pump for dishes, etc. We heat with an electric fireplace and a portable ceramic heater, and only use the propane furnace when we first arrive to speed things up. About 100 nights over this time, and we only finished our first 30lb tank this year.

The best thing to keep it warm is to add those foam floor panels that fit together like puzzles. The floor is warm to the touch once the trailer has heated up, makes all the difference. We like it so much we use them in the summer now too. With both electric heaters, we have kept the inside at 21C when it was -20C outside, no furnace required.

I ran an auxiliary 110 amp circuit which runs the fireplace, so we can use the second heater and the microwave, toaster over, or coffee maker and or blow the circuit.

When we leave, we dump the porta-potty and waste water in the vault toilet. Honestly, we prefer it to summer camping now...

Good luck, eh!

Blake
theflake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, trailer