Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #43

If you find a TT and TV you like, post it and everyone will comment again!

Copy all the weight listings from both vehicles. The TV will have a sticker on the driver's doorpost stating several weights like GVW, CGVW, Tow Capacity, and or Cargo Capacity. Tire load weights are good also.
The TT will have labels on the front drivers side with Dry Weight, Gross Weight, Cargo Capacity, Axle weight, etc. Clear photos of the labels will do fine.

Post these actual weights for the individual TT and TV, we will help you calculate the possibilities and all of us will give you our opinions.

More than one combination to calculate for would be delightful!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Debora,
I agree. Most comments are way off the mark, but you have me a little confused.
2500 dry weight (probably 3500 gross vehicle weight)
3500 dry weight (probably 4500 to 5000 gross weight)
These are very different weights. You can pull a 2500# dry weight TT with just about any true SUV and some crossover SUV's, especially for short weekend trips. A 3500 # dry weight TT will require a more careful look at any given SUV.

Instead of looking at dry weights, look at gross weights. This gives you a realistic look at how your towing experience will play out.

Dry weight is often advertised because it looks like it can be towed with a smaller vehicle. This is one of the tools in the salesman's tool box to do anything to sell a trailer. Maxing out your tow vehicle with a TT's dry weight is going to lead to disappointing experiences.

Any given tow vehicle line has multiple tow capacities. Some of that is due to options that increase capacity, some is due to options that add to tow vehicle weight, but not towing capacity.

For smaller SUV's and Crossover's, factory installed towing packages are a significant benefit for less technical buyers. However, after market mods are good if everything is done properly and completely. Even factory packages sometimes need additional components. For instance I bought a 2015 Toyota RAV4 with factory tow package. It came without a hitch receiver, and without trailer wiring.

A 7 pin TT connector required running electric brake wire and 12 volt supply wire in addition to factory package. On the other hand it came with extra transmission and engine cooling built in. The fully configured RAV4 was rated to pull 3500 #. The RAV4 without the package was rated for 1500 #. I had good experiences towing a 2000# GVW folding "A" frame camper. I would not even think about pulling my current 3400# dry weight 21 foot Kodiak Cub TT (4400# GVW) with the RAV4.

Problem number 2: Don't rule out a Casita just yet. You may be able to find a late model used one in southern CA. A one or two year old low end TT is probably a better buy for both price and reliability than a new one. The one reason not to buy a used Casita is that it has poor cold weather camping tolerance.

Low end TT's frequently have lots of issues in the first year that spoil your experience. I bought my new Cub with high hopes of wilderness adventure. The Cub spent its first three months at the dealer getting fixed. I fixed other significant problems myself to avoid more months at the dealer. It was not a good experience. An owner who got all the problems fixed and tested, and is now selling is your friend.

The warranty's on low end trailers are mostly fiction. Each item installed in the TT has a different warranty from a different manufacturer. The component mfg blames the installing mfg and vice versa. They are all expert at finding real and fictional reasons the issue is not covered. A user tested TT is far better than new.
I wonder if I made a typo along the way, or perhaps hadn't yet settled in Casita. Definitely 2500 dry, just me, so does seem like doable with 5000 lb.rated SUV properly equipped. Not worried about season issues. Summer beach camping, never snow, California.

Only reason I would buy new is that it may be hard to find what I want at reasonable distance. Time my toughest resource. Time off work means no pay, so can't jet around looking at used RVs out of state too easily. However Casita is 1500 miles and 22 hours one-way. That's a lot.of driving. One step at a time. Picking tow vehicle obviously has to come first
DebiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #45

Say you buy a 6 cylinder Toyota Highlander. I know that vehicle will tow a 2,800 lb. little runabout boat just fine. I would think it would tow a 3,000 - 3,500 trailer also.

For a small trailer I like the Winnebago Micro Mini line and the Lance. A Toyota Highlander can easily tow the smaller trailers of each manufacturer.

But like mentioned above - 4,500 lbs is a little different.

Oh, you really want to pick out the trailer 1st, then the tow vehicle.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:46 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Say you buy a 6 cylinder Toyota Highlander. I know that vehicle will tow a 2,800 lb. little runabout boat just fine. I would think it would tow a 3,000 - 3,500 trailer also.

For a small trailer I like the Winnebago Micro Mini line and the Lance. A Toyota Highlander can easily tow the smaller trailers of each manufacturer.

But like mentioned above - 4,500 lbs is a little different.

Oh, you really want to pick out the trailer 1st, then the tow vehicle.
I agree! TT first!
Old 04-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #47

Casita's in LA area:

Casita's in LA area:
https://www.rvtrader.com/Texas-Used-...001&radius=any
Old 04-17-2019, 08:29 AM   #48

Other Small Sunny Clime TT's

For easy to tow small TT's, check these out. They require less horsepower to pull at highway speeds:
Forest River rPod's - all the basic TT amenities and can be easily pulled with smaller SUV's. Normal low price TT probabilities of delivered new or first year issues to deal with. There are similar units from other manufacturers.
Tab@ - Excellent one person TT. Among the smallest high quality TT's. Light and easy to tow with van or full size auto.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:05 AM   #49

Look at the new Chevy Blazer. New model. Might be good for towing. Make sure to go bigger than right on the edge. Better to have Overkill then having a vehicle set to tow and hills or wind causes a problem. Make sure to use an equalizer hitch and sway control and hook up the brakes with a good brake controller
onholdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:54 AM   #50

I've settled on. Dodge.Durango and Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 combo. Looking at a Casita Saturday, and might be having to order and wait for Durango with what I want on it
DebiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:56 AM   #51

Good deal [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:31 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymason View Post
I'd like to suggest staying away from unibody vehicles for towing. Just my opinion, but I would look for a used Chevy Tahoe or Yukon for SUV towing.

Smart choices- strong, proven, and safe. You'll never worry about capability. You could add Expedition also if you prefer it's styling.- We've had 2.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #53

Recommend contacting Andy or Philip at CanAm RV. They are the SUV towing experts.

We are super happy with our combo - Infiniti QX80 and 30' Airstream Classic. We also use our MB Sprinter, MB ML350 diesel, and the QX80 to tow our fiberglass Escape 19'.

Wish you all the best towing with your choice.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:02 PM   #54

May I suggest you look at mid sized 4 door pick ups such as a Chevy Colorado, Ford Ranger or Toyota Tacoma. Towing capacity of 5000 pounds or more, depending on how it’s equipped. May be less costly too.
WinnieJurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #55

Hi, I use a Mercedes GLE 350 to pull a boat and it does such a good job that I don't even notice the boat because of all of the things that Benz does to correct side winds and sway. I had had a heavier boat which I pulled with a 3/4 ton Suburban and I got rid of that and went to a GL 450, which did a much better job of pulling that boat. I even tried pulling that boat with a Ml 350, which pulled it, but the tongue weight was too much for it. Anyway, I also tried just about every mid-sized SUV made and I found out that the towing setup can be very expensive for some, so check before you buy. The BMW 5 series cost $2,000 for a trailer hitch, the Acura MDX cost $1200. The Benz is about $500. My wife and I both drive Benzes and I have for years without any problem except on an E series back in 2011 when a power window failed. So, people that claim Benzes have issues clearly don't own one. By the way, the boat I now pull weighs just over 4000 pounds and the GLE 350 is rated to 6600. A word on Hyundai. I use a Veloster as a toad and I like it quite a bit. It has less than 3000 miles, so I can't judge its reliability, but it did have a window leak and I had to change a battery cable. I was thinking about getting a new Wrangler JL for a toad so I could get an automatic and here is why I would stay away from Hyundai. My like new, low mileage, fully loaded Veloster Turbo with tech package and every option, even the $500 spare tire is now worth $13,000 tops on trade-in at multiple dealerships and it still has most of its warranty since it is only about a year and a half old. Sticker was about $30,000. So, what appears to be a good vehicle (and I think is) for the money, turns out to cost a fortune per mile of actual ownership. The Benz works out to a whole lot less per mile.
New to this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #56

SUV

I have a 2017 Durango and I pull a 2019 Coachmen Apex Nano which dry weight is 3800#'s. The Durango pulls it beautifully and I barley feel it behind me. The Apex Nano is all alum. welded structure with Azdel walls which makes it very light. My model is a 203rbk which has a huge bathroom with a neo angle shower. It has 1 slide out and with it in you can still get a everything. Ton's of storage, which I don't fill up.
Have a look at the models of the Apex Nano that Coachmen is making, they are a great light TT. I saw a couple of people on the forums here say they think Coachmen is an entry level trailer but I don't think they have looked at the Apex Nano because after all my searching and having a Keystone product they are a long way from what one might call an entry TT.
Jgriff1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing