Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #1

Comparing TT quality and features

So I've decided on a floor plan and narrowed it down to 4 manufacturers. I don't want this to turn into a 'this manufacturer is better because....' so I've decided not to mention who they are.

What I am interested in is what do I look for in terms of better features and quality between them. For example:

- does the unit have a roof ladder(no access to the roof could be a problem)
- dual axle spacing (a little further apart seems to provide more stability)
- are the cabinets screwed or stapled together
- awning covers a slideout (providing less space under the awning)

Please let me know of anything else that I should consider when comparing that may indicate build quality or practicality issues.
peco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #2

I am not afraid to mention manufacturers but I like the Winnebago BAL frame that is fastened together with huck bold vs welds.

Also BAL has a leveling system that I like.

I also like Flagstaff/Rockwood trailers with fully laminated sides and roof plus all the modern features like the wifi extender and command center that can be tied to your phone.

I want a PVC roof but might have to settle for TPO.

Lance and Starcraft use PVC roofing.

If I had to buy a RV in an hour I would buy the Winnebago 27 RLTS mid profile 5th wheel as good enough. But I am hoping I find a travel trailer that I like better.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:53 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Go see each on yourself...
Look at the quality of craftsman ship on the models you tour...
and when I say look, really look. dont just walk thru and look at all the shiny objects and bells / whistles...

I think most cabinets are stapled together.. Dont know for sure... Does it really matter?
Ladder.. Nice to have but how often do you plan on going up to roof in reality?

Awning covers slideout? If the slide out is on passenger side your losing space anyways... does it matter? If so dont buy a TT with a slide out on passenger side...

Axle spacing? Really? Do you plan on riding in the TT?

Best bet is find the floor plan you like and see what each MFG has in that floor plan..... Then compare them down.

Features and Practicality... Nobody can answer that but you...........
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:14 AM   #4

No ladder would be a sign of a cheap trailer.

Axle spacing is a myth sorta. I've owned 3 TT's and one had the so called spread axles. It handled no better than either of the two other TT's. Spread axles are also really hard on themselves as they tend to really scrub the tires in tight turns.

Staples are inferior obviously. But not always bad. I've found that most MFG's use a combination of screws and staples. You can have poor quality with both if the employee messes up. Of course screws are more secure but in some situations staples are good enough.

For me I look at the RV's cargo carrying capacity and how well the structure is built. Low CCC is a sign that the MFG didn't use higher capacity parts. I also look at what materials are used in the walls, floor and ceiling. I look at how they design the interior and are there any quirks that would be frustrating after several trips.

I wouldn't own an RV trailer that didn't have a fiberglass front cap vs rolled filon/Luan.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:54 AM   #5

We all have ideas, and areas that concern us the most, so quality can be substantially different, depending on who your talking to.

Materials, methods, and workmanship are all important. Most manufacturers will hit two out of those three, but very few, if any hit all three, all the time.

My current trailer has the BAL frame, Azdel inside and out, PVC roof, and fully laminated with foam board including the roof, and floor.

Plumbing is crimped correctly, and wiring is all neatly ran and installed. Good fit and finish is evident throughout the trailer.

Even though ours has been trouble free, many with the same brand have not. Workmanship is hard to control, and anyone who has worked in a factory setting know things get pushed through.

So that brings me to my last topic.....warranty. I like manufacturers that have their own service center. There are big issues that will get passed through, and many dealers don’t have the expertise to repair. Having a manufacturer that is known to take care of you after the purchase, and even many years down the road is important. Knowing that I can take my trailer back to the factory now at three years of age, or down the road at 10 years was a big factor in my purchase decision.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #6

I actually worked on an assembly line. Most of the work I did was good I could not drill out holes correctly when the assembly was off a bit so I would drill a hole crooked and pop a rivit so it held 90%.

I understand how some trailers are good and some not so good.

If you open all draws and cabinets and check all trim that is a start. I look at the CCC if it is low I move on.

I saw a used trailer, the sand I almost bought 5 years earlier. It was junk with spongy laminated floor and basically falling apart. Whew I thought.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #7

Striking a balance...

We researched and bought a TT this year... just two of us. Our priorities were as follows:

Suitable floor plan (no extras, all necessities), comfortable (17' - 21-), lightweight (easy to tow), affordable (obviously), like new condition (well kept, everything works), no slides or popouts (keep it simple), no ladder (not using roof for storage), strong, nicely finished and reliable, double axle.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/images/irv2/attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0812.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	543.3 KB
ID:	306082  
CARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by peco View Post
So I've decided on a floor plan and narrowed it down to 4 manufacturers. I don't want this to turn into a 'this manufacturer is better because....' so I've decided not to mention who they are.

What I am interested in is what do I look for in terms of better features and quality between them. For example:

- are the cabinets screwed or stapled together
- awning covers a slideout (providing less space under the awning)

Please let me know of anything else that I should consider when comparing that may indicate build quality or practicality issues.
Like most I am always shopping for my "next camper". One reason I participate in these forums is to benefit from the knowledge, experience, and research of other people, rather than rely on just myself.
Not including the names of manufacturers and the reasons you've narrowed the search down to them feels like a bit of a rip off to me.

When I ordered our current unit, in the belief that fewer roof penetrations is better, I had the ladder deleted. I should have let them install a ladder. It can be really hard (even dangerous) stepping from a folding ladder next to the camper onto the roof.

If one wheel was placed under each corner of the camper, it would be very stable indeed. Moving those wheels closer together is going to reduce stability. It's only logic. In my experience, the spread axles do not offer enough difference to have a meaningful effect on stability.

If the cabinets feel solid, then you're probably in pretty good shape. You'll find the facings are screwed together while the panels are very thin and stapled in place. Just make sure the facings are wood and not adhesive vinyl.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:38 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies. Interesting point about the CCC. What do you consider low? A percentage of the GVWR?

I plan on comparing all the manufacturers...hopefully at the next RV show, and I was just trying to get a better feel for what I should look at. I've done a lot of reading on-line and learned a lot but it's a whole different story actually using something.

And just to make everyone happy :-) I am looking at Grand Design Imagine, Northwood Arctic Fox and Outdoor RV Mountain. One problem I have though is that it's very hard to find Northwood or Outdoor RV in southern Florida.

So I may extend my possibilities to others, such as, Forest River Vibe, Gulfstream, and Highland Ridge. In my opinion, these manufacturers quality is not as good as my top three choices....hence my inquiry.

Thanks again for all the information.
peco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:16 PM   #10

The one thing that strikes terror in the heart of every camper owner is a water leak. An undetected leak can cause absolute havoc - it can destroy the value of a camper or even render it unusable.
My own research has led me to the Keystone Cougar line of travel trailers. They use aluminum framing in the floor and exterior walls. I can't remember if the interior walls are wood or metal, though. Insulation is block foam rather than fiberglass batting which can settle and leave large air pockets in the walls.
The floor does not have any wood. It is a composite material.
The exterior walls, however, are Filon, which makes me nervous.
Interior door frames are wood, rather than very common plastic. In fact, one of the indicators of the "quality level" of a camper is the amount of plastic used in it's construction. Plastic toilet or porcelain, plastic sink or stainless steel. Thin stainless steel sink or thick stainless steel. Faucets look residential but are primarily plastic. The industry has, thankfully, changed to Pex lines rather than the grey PVC of the 1980's. It's much more flexible and less likely to rupture. However, look under the cabinets to see what kind of connectors (elbows and manifolds) are used. Are they plastic or metal? Of course, going through the plumbing fittings yourself and upgrading all the plastic to metal is a reasonably straightforward upgrade for an otherwise great camper.
These days pretty much every camper that is not entry level uses wood stiles to build the cabinet faces with pocket screws. The use of jigs and power drivers has made them economically rewarding to do. Wood lathe is usually screwed to the wall and the cabinet is stapled to that. This can actually be a stronger mounting method than using screws, so don't dismiss it out of hand.
For Forest River the ascending hierarchy is:
Wildwood
Wildcat
Vibe
Sonoma
Flagstaff/Rockwood
Heritage Glen/Hemisphere
Old 10-27-2020, 06:36 AM   #11

I agree with most of the comments posted.

But, whether a ladder is mounted on the rig would not be an indication of quality as there are too many variables. The dealer could have ordered it without one. I purchased a 2014 Winnebago Minnie which was an above average trailer in quality (at least the one I got!) but it didn't have a ladder. Being just a days drive to the factory, we went out and had Winnebago install one as it was cheaper than purchasing and paying the shipping cost.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Some roofs on cheaper trailers are not designed to be walked on, so that is something to check out.

Quote:
I'm not sure where this idea comes from, but further apart is probably worse. Imagine if the four wheels were at the four corners--what the stresses would be like on the tires around corners. Closer together is probably better, and BTW, many people say you should only use trailer tires on tandem axle trailers because they are designed to handle the cornering stresses.

Quote:
Checking out the floorplan with sliders closed. Many you cannot open the refrigerator or use the bathroom. On mine I simply cannot use the TV or access one cabinet well.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #13

Quote:
T

I am looking at Grand Design Imagine, Northwood Arctic Fox and Outdoor RV Mountain. One problem I have though is that it's very hard to find Northwood or Outdoor RV in southern Florida.
I am also looking for a trailer and the Arctic fox and Outdoors RV are at the top of my list. .....haven't looked to hard at the Grand Design. ....so much crap out there. My wife loves the Rockwood Mini-Lite 2506s but I'm having trouble wanting one after spending time with the Outdoors RV....

Dave
Old 02-07-2021, 12:45 AM   #14

Everyone has differing priorities, that is why they make different trailers. For ME, these are required items.....1. Walkable roof and rear ladder are required because roof water leaks will cause serious damage and every RV manufacturer makes a huge deal out of checking your roof seals and repairing them. Transferring from an A frame ladder to the roof is dangerous, and I can't carry a 10 foot A frame ladder with me when traveling. If a roof can't carry my weight, that is a huge flag to me. 2. Vacuum bonded walls. Keystone used pinch rolling, so that eliminates all their brands (which kills me because I love the Cougar 22MLS) but delamination kills me worse. 3. My opinion, I want Azdel in the walls. 4. plywood floor. ----- This year, Rockwood Mini Lites have gone to Azdel for BOTH the interior and exterior walls, rear wall, and front wall. They now have a molded fiberglass front cap. All walls and even the roof is vacuum bonded. They come with 30 pound propane tanks instead of 20. You get the large Max Air fans with rain covers from the factory standard instead of having to yank out the cheap tiny fans most use. Frameless windows will cut down on maintenance on window seals. All framing is aluminum with block foam, but Rockwood even frames out the beds and dinettes in welded aluminum. Every unit standard with the larger 22" oven instead of the 17" you always see in trailers. If you get the 10.7CF 12 volt fridge, it comes with a raised panel 190 watt solar panel on the roof and inverter. Rockwoods ship with Goodyear Endurance tires instead of having to switch out the China Bombs. Rockwoods have 5/8" thick tongue in groove marine grade plywood floors which is screwed and glued. All cabinets are glued and screwed together (reach inside and feel) Rockwood Mini Lites also ship with the Torflex torsion axles which are more expensive than leaf springs and I personally greatly prefer a torsion axle. Rockwood Geo Pros and Mini Lites all come with the features I've listed, and these are all features I personally value.
JeffInDFW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality