Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2021, 07:01 PM   #1

Concerned about my first tow( and I don’t even have a TT yet).

So I presently own a F150 3.5 EB with a 6.5 bed. The year of Covid has wife thinking again about the RV life- again. We had gone through this search before and we couldn’t make the decisions.
We have gotten down to a Rockwood Mini Light 2509 ( 26 ft, 5500 dry wt) or a GD Imagine 2800( 32 ft ,8000 lbs.)
Wife very much wants the larger which probably pushes up to a super duty which is fine.

Problem is I’m very concerned about my very first tow ever with a 32 ft trailer and whichever dealer I pick it up in Central Florida there will be extremely heavy traffic for 45 minutes - 2 hours( depending on dealer). I really think my chances are much better with the smaller 26 ft trailer but wife is totally against that. Reason is she expects we will take my son’s family and that 6 will be too tight in the smaller trailer.
So I’m asking. Is there a significant difference towing with the 26 ft compared to 32? ( I’m wondering if that last 6 ft actually gets home with me towing and making those turns at intersections.)Too me it seems like there is.
Without any practice is what has me worried. I mentioned to someone it’s like giving a young recruit in WW2 a rifle, and saying “ you don’t need boot camp, welcome to the war.”
Any simulators out there to practice? LOL.
I’m not sure what can really help me. One more aspect of this story. We were finally thinking about actually putting in an in ground pool. I’ve been fighting against this for years so when wife fell for the 32 ft trailer, she decided for that instead of the pool. I was hoping the 26 ft would win her over, but that’s probably not happening. So it’s a pool or the 32 ft trailer.
What can you do when it’s your first tow under “live fire?” under these circumstances? Any advice is gratefully appreciated.
Larry Mac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2021, 07:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac01 View Post
So I presently own a F150 3.5 EB with a 6.5 bed. The year of Covid has wife thinking again about the RV life- again. We had gone through this search before and we couldn’t make the decisions.
We have gotten down to a Rockwood Mini Light 2509 ( 26 ft, 5500 dry wt) or a GD Imagine 2800( 32 ft ,8000 lbs.)
Wife very much wants the larger which probably pushes up to a super duty which is fine.

Problem is I’m very concerned about my very first tow ever with a 32 ft trailer and whichever dealer I pick it up in Central Florida there will be extremely heavy traffic for 45 minutes - 2 hours( depending on dealer). I really think my chances are much better with the smaller 26 ft trailer but wife is totally against that. Reason is she expects we will take my son’s family and that 6 will be too tight in the smaller trailer.
So I’m asking. Is there a significant difference towing with the 26 ft compared to 32? ( I’m wondering if that last 6 ft actually gets home with me towing and making those turns at intersections.)Too me it seems like there is.
Without any practice is what has me worried. I mentioned to someone it’s like giving a young recruit in WW2 a rifle, and saying “ you don’t need boot camp, welcome to the war.”
Any simulators out there to practice? LOL.
I’m not sure what can really help me. One more aspect of this story. We were finally thinking about actually putting in an in ground pool. I’ve been fighting against this for years so when wife fell for the 32 ft trailer, she decided for that instead of the pool. I was hoping the 26 ft would win her over, but that’s probably not happening. So it’s a pool or the 32 ft trailer.
What can you do when it’s your first tow under “live fire?” under these circumstances? Any advice is gratefully appreciated.
Find a neighbor or a friend that is experienced with a travel trailer, ask him to take you out for a day trip, have him show you how to hook up, do a trip check, have him drive you around a little, find a campsite or something that you can simulate as a campsite. Then have him take you to an abandoned mall or warehouse parking lot and take the wheel, Do some figure 8's, back up starting out just backing straight then making some 45s and then 90's. He'll tell you if you are ready to tow your new rig home, or if he is going to go with you. There is a lot more to a TT than just driving down the highway.

I've been driving since I was 6, backing trailers since I was 12, have driven Semi, dump truck, doubles and triples. Fear is your worst enemy. That is when you make mistakes. But you must have respect for whatever equipment it is, know your limits and stay under them.

And when you scratch it, be glad you were going slow, being careful, no one got hurt and remember its just stuff.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Oh yeah, and I forgot, when the day is over, get in the car, take him for a big steak and an adult beverage. You stay sober and drive him home.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Find a neighbor or a friend that is experienced with a travel trailer, ask him to take you out for a day trip, have him show you how to hook up, do a trip check, have him drive you around a little, find a campsite or something that you can simulate as a campsite. Then have him take you to an abandoned mall or warehouse parking lot and take the wheel, Do some figure 8's, back up starting out just backing straight then making some 45s and then 90's. He'll tell you if you are ready to tow your new rig home, or if he is going to go with you. There is a lot more to a TT than just driving down the highway.

I've been driving since I was 6, backing trailers since I was 12, have driven Semi, dump truck, doubles and triples. Fear is your worst enemy. That is when you make mistakes. But you must have respect for whatever equipment it is, know your limits and stay under them.

And when you scratch it, be glad you were going slow, being careful, no one got hurt and remember its just stuff.

I wish it was that easy. Don’t have that friend with a TT?
Old 05-14-2021, 08:33 PM   #5

First, completely ignoring dry weight numbers !!!
Look at the GVWR of trailer.
By the time you add water, gear, propane you will be getting close to that number.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:09 PM   #6

The six foot won’t make that much difference. Pick your time when traffic will be reduced if possible. Have someone follow you, when it’s time to change lanes the follower changes first and makes sure to block traffic and flash their lights when there is room to move over.

You will be fine towing, just allow extra time to stop.

As stated before, ignore “dry weight” and “towing capacity”
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapperjohn View Post
First, completely ignoring dry weight numbers !!!
Look at the GVWR of trailer.
By the time you add water, gear, propane you will be getting close to that number.

My fault. I didn’t elaborate. But if I’m towing that 32 ft, 8000lb trailer on my first day of towing ever, I’ll be towing with an F350 with 3500-4000 lbs of payload. GVWR will not be a concern. Me towing will be my concern.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceKeys View Post
The six foot won’t make that much difference. Pick your time when traffic will be reduced if possible. Have someone follow you, when it’s time to change lanes the follower changes first and makes sure to block traffic and flash their lights when there is room to move over.

You will be fine towing, just allow extra time to stop.

As stated before, ignore “dry weight” and “towing capacity”

Good idea with the following vehicle!
Old 05-14-2021, 10:54 PM   #9

If the traffic is of concern pick up the trailer and wait for the evening when traffic is less. The dealer might even let you stay on their property until then.
Old 05-15-2021, 03:07 AM   #10

Pools are fun, and a lot less work.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:24 AM   #11

I had a similar situation. If you're really concerned (I was!) I would take an inexpensive hotel room near the dealer that has room for your rig, have an early dinner, take a long nap, and leave after midnight - or later.

I will also add that my husband, a former long distance truck driver, said the longer the trailer, the easier it is to tow.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post

Our pool costs us more in a single year than our first TT cost over 6 years of ownership.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post

I'm not so sure about this you have to clean a pool every day, especially in Florida.
As far as towing goes your mirrors are your friends, learn to use them. If your truck doesn't have towing mirrors get some. On your first trip get on the freeway as soon as you can and stick to the right hand lane. Don't get in a hurry and if you get caught behind a slower vehicle just slow down, you don't have that far to go. If you want a little confidence builder go rent the largest U-haul trailer you can and drive around for half a day. The biggest thing to know is that the trailer will track inside of your truck so you have to leave more room on the inside of the turn. Watch your mirrors. It really isn't that hard you just need to be careful and don't get in a hurry.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Our pool costs us more in a single year than our first TT cost over 6 years of ownership.

Thanks for the great news. LOL

Tags
tow