RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2020, 09:34 AM   #1

Concerns about quality

Saving up to buy a No Bo 16.8. Never owned a trailer and am concerned about the internet postings how trailers just disintegrate..twisted frames, stoves and fridges falling out, broken electrical, leaks, trim and doors falling off on new trailers due to poor quality control. Is this indeed a widespread issue...woud love feedback before buying..
Gabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2020, 09:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just stay away from the ultra-lightweight stuff and you should be ok. Examine construction methods and materials. Since you are buying a smaller trailer you can probably afford to buy and tow something more heavily built. The No Boundaries line seems to be a decent product even though it’s owned by Forest River, but I would dig in and look closely.

On another note, some close friends bought an 18’ TT and the floor plan has the bed across the front, bath and kitchen in the middle and a large convertible dinette wrapped around the rear. It’s a very functional floor plan for a trailer that size. It will sleep four adults, but also can seat 4-6 comfortably at the table and has great visibility with windows all around the rear.

So just something to think about. Depends on your camping life style, but when the weather sends you indoors, it’s nice to have a larger, comfortable, open hangout with good visibility. I don’t recall the brand but it’s very similar to the pic below.

What will you be towing with? This link might be helpful in your search:
https://campaddict.com/rv-manufacturers/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B2F8EEA6-52A9-4089-83F5-36B62547CDED.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	304790  
Old 10-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #3

Quality Travel Trailer Brands

Check out this thread. It is getting a little old by now, but it may get you started. There are lots more makes and models today than are covered. You can compare the details of the best and worst to the models you are looking at.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/best-...-443427-2.html

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:38 PM   #4

I think the travel trailers being built now are pretty good. Better manufacturing methods, better material for the most part.

As you look at a travel trailer you do need to evaluate if it is put together good enough. This is not always easy for the long term but I open and close all drawers and cabinets, I step in the shower and if the shower pan flexes too much I am done. Look for loose trim and try to see where they cut any corners. I bought my 1st travel trailer in 2008. So in 12 years I am seeing better construct than I did in 2008.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:41 PM   #5

Seeing as No Bo is a Forest River product why not jump over to Forest River Owners Group and see what owners have to say about them.
Wiscampsin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:06 PM   #6

There is also a Forest River Forum.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:49 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Some trailers are just better built than others. We have about 25K on ours and it has been trouble free. It seems logical that light weight trailers have made sacrifices somewhere and some of those cuts would seem to be made in the structure and frame. Conditions or our roads anywhere in the country are tough on any vehicle, so if you are looking at putting some miles on the rig, pay attention to the frame, suspension, and build quality.

Safe travels.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:05 AM   #8

Good luck in your search! My advice would be to look at a lot of different brands and spend a LOT of time examining every nook and cranny. After doing this for quite a few trailers, you will get a better eye for seeing quality vs. poor construction.

Also, investigate the differences between typical trailers and those designed and built for cold weather use with better insulation, heated tanks, etc. I would try to get one with more insulation and heated tanks as the added insulation (and double pane windows) will also be very beneficial in hot and sunny weather.

Our last trailer was a Winnebago Minnie (2014) and it was what I would consider above average. We didn't have any problems with it. But it didn't have any features for cold weather, but it was comfortable even in cold temps when we made our winter treks to Florida.

If looking for one today, I would be considering Arctic Fox/Northwood, Lance, Outdoor RV and Winnebago. I'd also consider buying a higher quality used trailer rather than lower quality new.

Good luck and have some fun in the process!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:38 AM   #9

Our first RV was a Signature Series Ultra Light from Forest River. It was very poorly made with cheap material. As said earlier-stay away from any light or ultra light unit. After our experience we wished we had bought an Arctic Fox, unfortunately there are no Arctic Fox dealers in our area and we did not learn about them until we started traveling. There are probably other good units available, not sure which ones they are.
Good Luck with your search.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #10

I think it's impossible to say. Decades ago I owned a reliable Fiat X-1/9. I had two friends who owned Spiders, one was reliable and one wasn't. Fiat didn't exactly have a great reputation back then (or now for that matter) but 2/3rds were reliable in my small little sample.

Also, some people like to complain. I saw one owner with the same model and year of Winnebago as mine complain about sawdust left in places where holes were cut through the floor. Mine you could practically eat off of, but I'll admit it wasn't spotless.

The only issue I've had on mine were the adjustment of the side compartment doors, and I did need to apply grease to the door lock to get it to operate smoothly. I think the latter just needed a break in period.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #11

I've looked at the NoBo line at RV shows and really like them. As far as quality goes, well you can have a lemon or even one that needs 4-5 trips back to the dealer if you're not a DIY person with any RV. Like tuffr2 said most MFG's today build a quality RV.
I own one of the supposedly heavy quality trailers and it's had it's fair share of issues. Thicker wood, bigger tires, etc doesn't make it assembled any better. You can have a lightweight TT made well and have a heavy duty off road trailer sloppily put together.
In other words the sum of the parts may or may not equal quality.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:47 AM   #12

First off, good on you for saving up to buy instead of financing a TT. Thats a hole you dont want to be in.

imo, while the state of the industry construction isnt that good, youre going to hear a great deal more of the horror stories than you are stories from the satisfied owners. I really cant add more to whats already been said (so i will repeat some i think are most important); look at a lot of units to develop an eye for quality, look in all the nooks and crannies, make everything in the unit work before signing, and most importantly find a dealer you can trust and depend on when (not if) problems develop.
Remember that youre not buying the average quality of a manufacturer or model- youre buying an individual unit and you want that one to be the best it can be.
Cferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #13

I agree with a lot of what is said above. Especially two things, every manufacturer makes lemons and you are way more likely to hear about the bad than the good.
I was going over the issues I have had in my head and one conclusion is I could break the issues into two groups, things I could have identified up front and things it would be impossible to identify.
Things I would know to look for now:
1. Fresh water tank too far forward
2. Fresh water drawing valve too low (goes along with the first thing)
3. Window on a slanted surface. I will never buy another RV with a window not on a vertical surface.
4. Floor not adequately supported
5. Non walking roof. Maintenance is way easier if you can walk on it.
Things you couldn't find are mostly workmanship issues. Most are hidden and you'd have to tear things apart to find them:
1. Awning not supported per MFG installation requirements (no backup fittings)
2. Window Hole cut too large making sealing impossible. On the upside, I am now familiar with fiberglass repair.
3. Split framing on interior walls. I have uncovered a few places where staples have split the wood used to attach the Luan to the floor.
4. Hole in floor where fresh water fill line passes through looks like it was made with a hammer. Large gaps all around it. I found it because the tank fill line leaked due to a loose clamp.
My personal opinion is preventing water intrusion is the biggest issue and hardest things to resolve. The floor support is also very difficult to fix. Most of the other stuff can be fixed. It is like a house, The roof and foundation better be solid or everything inside is going to be ruined.
Tomahawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbie View Post
Saving up to buy a No Bo 16.8. Never owned a trailer and am concerned about the internet postings how trailers just disintegrate..twisted frames, stoves and fridges falling out, broken electrical, leaks, trim and doors falling off on new trailers due to poor quality control. Is this indeed a widespread issue...woud love feedback before buying..
We love our Flagstaff. Well built for the price. Lots of features the higher end units have yet affordable. Don't know if the brand makes a floor plan you like but it's worth a look.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality