Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2022, 06:34 PM   #1

Controller question, 2007 Cherokee 27q

Hi,

I have a forest river 2007, cherokee 27q.
I've been trying to figure out why my micro wave isn't working (no power is going to it). I traced back power to the controller and found the wires coming out the converter controller are puzzling. The black wire does not have any power and the white wire is hot. The white wire is going back to the neutral bar (and is hot) and black wire going to the braker. Can anyone help as to what I should do? I was told that those wires coming out of converter controller are factory installed.
Plowjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2022, 07:13 PM   #2

Ok ; your converter is for 12 volt operation and your microwave needs 120 volts ( shore power ) to operate .

Only if your RV has an inverter and a large battery bank will you be able to use the microwave without shore power.

Are you on shore power ?
Can you post pictures of what you're seeing ?
Old 05-14-2022, 10:50 PM   #3

Is your trailer plugged into shore power,
and is your microwave plugged into an outlet?
Zulu Kono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:55 AM   #4

Plug in one of the outlet testers (3 lights and outputs a code, $10 at HD). Make sure the polarity isn't reversed. Start at shore power post where you connect the Trailer (need an adapter). Then an outlet in the trailer. I'd guess most things aren't smart enough to detect reversed polarity on alternating current. The GFI might be (haven't tried and don't understand it well enough to know) and the microwave might be. Could also be that a GFI to the microwave is tripped. I would disconnect from shore power until I understood what was going on. Having the neutral bar hot sounds dangerous.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 08:55 AM   #5

That’s wrong. The white wire should not be hot.
Check what you are plugged into.
Something is miswired.
Kipkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:11 AM   #6

I have a forest river 2007, cherokee 27q.
I've been trying to figure out why my micro wave isn't working (no power is going to it). I traced back power to the controller and

I assume "controller" is a breaker and fuse panel. It may have an integrated converter/charger.

found the wires coming out the converter controller are puzzling. The black wire does not have any power and the white wire is hot. The white wire is going back to the neutral bar (and is hot) and black wire going to the braker.

White wire to ground must be zero or close to zero volts.
Black wire to ground if it is working must be 120 volts. Zero volts means no power out of breaker.

It is highly unlikely there is 120 volts on the neutral bus. No other 120 volt appliances would work either. If it is truly at 120 volts to ground, there is probably a loose, burned, or corroded wire to the bus from shore power.

Troubleshooting:

Switch circuit breaker "off" and then back "on". Sometimes they don't appear to be tripped when they are actually tripped. This is easy to do so do it first.

A GFI outlet may be tripped. Any GFI outlet may be the cause, but it is usually one near the non-functioning appliance. It could be on the other side of the wall.

Push the "test" button on the outlet. If it was working, it will "click" and then stop working. Next, push the "reset" button. Outlet should then start working again.

GFI will not trip or reset unless there is 120 volts to its input terminals.

There is probably a 120 volt outlet behind the microwave. The plug may have fallen out or it may be a GFI outlet that has tripped.

Can anyone help as to what I should do? I was told that those wires coming out of converter controller are factory installed.

They are most often factory installed.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:17 AM   #7

I would start at the beginning. Where you plug your camper in for 110 power. The pedestal. This may help. Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1465180170869.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	365533
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 11:31 AM   #8

OP has not been onsite since he started this thread .

We need more info from him to confirm he's giving the correct names for the components he's been checking and voltage info from his testing in order to help him further .

Pictures would be a huge help.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:47 PM   #9

Thank you all for your interest in this issue.
I'm connected to shore 30 amp.
All 110v plugs, refrigerator, water heater works well.
Black wire (not hot) going to circuit breaker from converter (in pictures) is producing no current to appliance.
As you see in the pictures white wire (hot) going to neutral buss bar.
I haven't start switching thing in the circuit breaker area until I contacted you folks. Especially what to do with the 3 wire coming out of converter.
I'm done with my Sunday commitments and will be more responsive with future conversations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220515_191504741_HDR.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	365555   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220515_191630731_HDR.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	365556  

Plowjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:01 PM   #10

The black wire in your picture is coming FROM a circuit breaker to power the converter. The 120 volt input is converted to 12 volt output for lights, pumps, fridge.....
It does not power the microwave.

Power to the black wires on the bottom of the breakers comes from the breakers they are connected to, with the exception of the 30 amp breaker.

All Of the screw connections should be hot ( have power ) from the hot bus bar behind the breakers.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:05 PM   #11

In the picture, it looks like the wire coming out of the wire nut is broken. Check that, it could our microwave problem. Seems like someone did a repair, it is unlikely that wire nut was there to extend the branch wire coming out of the breaker 4 inches when it left the factory.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 10:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
In the picture, it looks like the wire coming out of the wire nut is broken. Check that, it could our microwave problem. Seems like someone did a repair, it is unlikely that wire nut was there to extend the branch wire coming out of the breaker 4 inches when it left the factory.
He has a good eye. He maybe right.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
What that is.... is a double tap. Wire goes from the wire nut to the breaker and another black wire is also under that screw on the breaker. Its possible that they used a ferrule to put two wires together and call it one under the screw, Winnebago does this. Then what they did was leave a pigtail from that double tap and the installer just wire nuts the circuit to it.

This is commonly done on low draw items such as putting the fridge and the converter on one breaker using the ferrule/double tap.

What we need to know is what breaker is labeled as being the MW.

Op is chasing something that isn't a problem. MW circuit is simple, runs from the breaker to the MW receptacle. 99% of the time that is all that is on the circuit. Pull the MW out and measure for voltage at the receptacle. If none, go back and measure for voltage from the neutral bar to each breaker terminal screw. If they are all hot, go back to the receptacle and remove it and open it up (after you kill the shore power). They are a punch down wire pinch type of connection and they don't always work well.

Charles
Old 05-22-2022, 07:18 PM   #14

This could have been the problem Click image for larger version

Name:	iRV2%20-%20RV%20Forum762048321.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	366296

Tags
2007, cherokee, controller