Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 09:47 AM   #1

Cooking: Interior, Exterior, or Portable?

Currently looking at what TT designs are out there and we're finding a mix of ones we like that have interior only kitchens and some with the additional exterior.

So is the built in exterior kitchen worth skipping a particular model without to find one with? Or are those who have brought the own portable grill just as happy as with a built in?

I am finding that if I bring a portable then I have a larger cook area than the built in ones.
nick112288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 09:53 AM   #2

Cooking

I think you have the right idea there. I rarely use the range/oven inside, nad mostly use the Coleman "TailGater" portable grille for most everything else. I also have a Coleman camp stove for "just in case" or emergencies. Gets too hot in the motorhome otherwise.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:29 AM   #3

You are wise to ask this question before settling on an rv model. We have a 22" Blackstone and use it at least half the time for dinner. You just have to decide how much you would actually use an outdoor kitchen. I do a lot of cooking inside either for the whole meal or portions of the meal. For me the outdoor kitchen would not be a plus and would not get used.

I use my gas range about a quarter of the time but use my single burner induction Duxtop just as much, especially because it has a timer and better control of temperature on certain foods. I have never used my oven. I don't leave the pilot light on for an oven and hate having to stand on my head to light it every time. The oven is replaced by a NuWave oven. It takes a little while to learn how to use it for various foods, but we use it about 5 days a week for some purpose or another. I don't need a toaster, either, with the NuWave.
NCPearlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:08 PM   #4

As you probably know, outdoor kitchens can be difficult in bad weather. If you rarely camp in cold or wet weather, then that's not a major problem.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:49 PM   #5

In a travel trailer, fifth wheel or motorhome, I would want an interior kitchen but I could live without the oven. Our second travel trailer had an outdoor kitchen with small sink (hot and cold water), small bar fridge and a two burner propane stove and I really liked it and used it a lot. Our motorhome was purchased used and we had to sacrifice having an outdoor kitchen so I travel with my Weber grill, a Coleman two burner propane stove and a nice lightweight aluminum table large enough to hold both. We do a lot of cooking outside, but also inside depending on weather and menu. With our Bay Star, I really don't have a good spot for a bar fridge, so I use a cooler chest for extra drinks and simply pay for some ice as needed.

But, an outside kitchen will probably reduce storage room, so it all depends on your priorities and the size of the rig you want to buy.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:03 PM   #6

We don't do a lot of outside cooking. We find it is just to darn hot outside in the summer. We use a grill for steaks and burgers, but all the rest of the cooking is done inside.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When weather is not that good or down right bad. Inside, except to grill. We have a small Webber grill and 3 burner stove we use for outside.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:06 PM   #8

I was thinking of getting a trailer with the outside kitchen but...what would I cook. Bacon pops to mind - but then that would bring racoons and who knows what else.

I am deciding against an outside kitchen and sticking with a Webber potable Grill.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:49 PM   #9

I'm not a fan of outdoor kitchens on TT's; too much expense, weight and space taken up. I carry a grill and camp stove and do most of our camping outside. As per everything else; the best choice will depend on usage, expectations and budget.

Dave
Old 06-14-2021, 04:11 PM   #10

For some reason my DW always prefers to cook inside. We have an outdoor kitchen and I’ve only used it once in the 5 years I’ve been camping with RV. I also have a Coleman grill for backup but again I’ve probably only used it once as well. Looking back I’d prefer to have the storage space instead of outdoor kitchen
Old 06-14-2021, 06:09 PM   #11

I'm actually surprised at the number of replies saying they don't really care for the outdoor kitchen!
nick112288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:19 PM   #12

Agree with others, as I prefer the quality of the Camp Chef, and can place it anywhere. Where we camp just dealing with the slide out position between trees can be a challenge.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:18 PM   #13

Depending on which Weber you have, you just may be able to unscrew the regulator and go to a propane supplier and have them put a quick connect on it and supply a hose to hook into the quick connect that is on your trailer. Also have them put the mating part on the regulator so you can use a tank at home. Been working for me for five years now.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
I'm not a fan of outdoor kitchens on TT's; too much expense, weight and space taken up. I carry a grill and camp stove and do most of our camping outside. As per everything else; the best choice will depend on usage, expectations and budget.

Dave
A man with the right idea. out door kitchens waste space
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, interior