Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2021, 06:48 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cougar Half ton series

Greetings,

Any thoughts or experiences with the halftone series?

Thanks,

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2021, 06:59 PM   #2

Tow them with a 250/2500.......LOL
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1956 View Post
Greetings,

Thanks,

Dave
We have had ours since Dec 2019. Have taken it cross country 2x as well as a numerous 2-4 hour trips.

We have had a few issues

- Bent axles, causing two separate blowouts. Unit was still under warranty and was not overloaded. Keystone determined the issue was caused by a defect and all repairs covered under warranty. All 5 tires were also replaced under warranty. We went from the notorious Trail Kings to Carlisle HDs (which is a highly recommended upgrade).

- Darco material under sofa slide wearing due to rubbing. Keystone covered this repair under warranty as well.....slide was adjusted and thin metal sheeting was affixed to the slide underside.

- This past July while heading back to AZ from OH, noticed fraying on one of the slide cables. Mobile tech repaired and all but $100 deductible was covered under my extended warranty.

- Same trip, reefer went dead. Determined issue was thermal fuse. Replaced and all is well.

- Myriad of other minor annoyances.

All that being said, we really like our travel trailer and floor plan. It has 2 opposing slides, plus a wardrobe slide and has a sofa as well as a couple of recliners. Plenty of room for the wife and I and our dachshunds. Although the '1/2 ton' is in the 'luxury line', do not expect fine quality craftsmanship. Just about ALL trailers are slapped together as fast as they can pump them out and ALL will require constant tinkering, tightening and fixing.

Finally, DO NOT believe the '1/2 ton towable' BS. Most every one will require a 3/4 or 1 ton. My tongue weight is brochure listed at 815 pounds. Real world I am over 1200. That's a lot of payload coming right off the top of a 1/2 ton truck.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
About the only way you can tow them with a 1/2 ton truck is to never put your supplies in the trailer and you never have more than you and a box or tissues in the truck.

Plus, they are built light to try and keep the weight down.

Ken
Old 10-10-2021, 09:39 PM   #5

1/2 ton towable is a BUZZ phrase in the industry , to sell trailers to unsuspecting 1/2 ton owners who won't look at the numbers .

Truthfully less than 10% of the 1/2 tons; built in the past 10 years ; on the road are capable of towing them safely.
Older than 10 years probably none will have the payload capacity to handle the weight.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:23 PM   #6

Can't wait to see how this is gonna work. My wife and I just bought this brand new Cougar 22RBS. We're pulling it with a 2012 gmc yukon denali xl. We are first timers in all of this world. Used to learning everything the expensive and hard way. Oh well we will figure it out a little bit at a time I reckon.
TurtlteB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:30 AM   #7

Turtle - I think you will be ok. I towed a 26.5' travel trailer that weighed 5,500lbs. with a 2011 F-150 5.0 coyote engine. I just used a Draw Tite WD hitch. It was one of my best towing set-ups that I have had. No sway or effect/affect? from Semi's that I passed. I would tow around 72 mph.

Your trailer is a little heavier and a tad longer.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:32 AM   #8

Hi: We have a 22RBS that we tow with a 1500 Ram. I don't know if I would want to pull anything bigger with it but we just returned from a 5,000+ mile trip with it and we had no problems due to the setup at all. I do not know your wheelbase and that may be a limiting factor. Loaded up we have about 800 pounds of tongue weight and about 6900 pounds of trailer. At 140.5 inches our wheelbase seems to be enough to handle the trailer. A Reese Dual Cam w/d hitch makes towing easy. We tow at 60 to 65 most of the time as that is the sweet spot for the truck.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:29 AM   #9

Thanks for input

Thanks to Tuffr2 and Martian for a bit of a confidence booster. We appreciate the feedback. Hopefully we will bo ok then. Have installed a Reese Weight Ditribution Hitch to the Yukon. Mostly for peace of mind and to try and not kill our Yukon at the same time. It pulled fine w/out it on way home from purchase but it was empty then. We did order the chip to plug in Yukon to disable fuel management system so we don't have to worry about pulling with only 4 cylinders instead 8. Thanks again y'all.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:36 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Don't believe the Hype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1956 View Post
Greetings,

Thanks,

Dave
The only way to be sure is to weigh the trailer and your truck. The Cougar so called Half ton 5 th wheel Towable trailer that I use to have had a Tongue weight of 2400 Lbs Loaded and it was all my f250 could do to carry it. total gvwr truck and trailer weight was over 19,000 lbs loaded. A 1/2 ton would have never pulled it. get a 3/4 ton f250 or 2500 beter to be safe than sorry.
Mel
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:45 AM   #11

I doubt if cylinder deactivation would ever engage while towing. the biggest drawback with that setup will most likely be the 6 speed trans. pulling my trailer with one was a whippin so I eventually traded for a ram 1500 with 8 speed..just an amazingly better towing experience. YMMV
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I doubt if cylinder deactivation would ever engage while towing. the biggest drawback with that setup will most likely be the 6 speed trans. pulling my trailer with one was a whippin so I eventually traded for a ram 1500 with 8 speed..just an amazingly better towing experience. YMMV

Ram 1500 with 5.7 with cylinder deactivation will engage while towing, at least mine does. Selecting down to 7th gear will keep it from activating.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:37 PM   #13

i'm waiting delivery of a 22mls that should be here by spring. i will be towing with a '21 power wagon, so essentially a half ton . wdh and crossed fingers at this point.my last rig was a 5.7 ram 2500, northstar 850sc and a 16 ft. fishing boat on the hitch with zero issues. all the negativity on new tt builds has me a little freaked out but i'm 99% sure i can fix most minor issues as they arise.
hemifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:02 PM   #14

Update. My wife & I just had our maiden voyage trip with 2012 GMC YUKON DENALI XL pulling our 2022 Cougar 22RBS. Everything went perfectly, even getting to the site in the dark. We were extremely satisfied and shocked at the same time. Been married for 25 yrs and this is probably only the 5th time we haven't had some kind of disaster happen during vacation that caused us to go home early. SUV pulled trailer perfectly. That WDH really makes a difference too. We were maxed out on trailer weight just like I figured we would be. 13,660lbs together trailer was 7,220lbs. 20lbs over. Only down side is fuel mileage which I already knew was going to suck. Anyway we can't wait to go again in a few weeks.