Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2021, 04:32 PM   #1

Coupler and hitch pin locks

We just bought our first Trailer Jayflight 195RB. Do you guys recommend coupler and hitch pin locks and if yes, what are the ones worth buying?
NockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 06:34 PM   #2

Yes, to keep the coupler from opening or having some cretin walk by and undoing it. Yes for the hitch pin lock too, same reason. Any run of the mill locks will do, if you're trying to foil thieves, then you have to weld everything shut but that's not practical for obvious reasons. I got the stainless "dog bone" one for the hitch and a stainless one for the coupler too. Try to keep the key holes covered to keep out dust and road crud.
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:06 AM   #3

My understanding is that State Law in many states mandates something to keep the couple from inadvertently opening.

I was using a lock, but my trailer retailer recommended something like this pin, because you could capture the wire harness and the emergency brake cable in the hoop, and keep them from tangling up.

https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact.../dp/B001GN3H5A

So far, I rarely am far from my trailer when towing, and I tend to be anal about walking the trailer after any stop to just check for any issues, but I may go back to the lock setup. I haven't really looked at other options to minimize the tangling issues the trailer retailer cautioned me about.

Frankly, my wire harness is stiff enough and the perfect length that if I ever tangled it up, I would likely be upside down or rolling into a ditch, so worrying about my brake lights working properly is probably not going to be high on my list of priorities.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:30 AM   #4

I use a standard lock. Master lock. Also a hitch pin lock. While at the TA in Virginia having lunch one trip someone pulled the pin on my hitch. Thankfully I always do a walk around when I stop or continue on a trip and spotted it. Have used the locks ever since. Brands don't matter. This only took a second for them to so.
Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich View Post
Yes, to keep the coupler from opening or having some cretin walk by and undoing it. Yes for the hitch pin lock too, same reason. Any run of the mill locks will do, if you're trying to foil thieves, then you have to weld everything shut but that's not practical for obvious reasons. I got the stainless "dog bone" one for the hitch and a stainless one for the coupler too. Try to keep the key holes covered to keep out dust and road crud.

X2. In addition to the TT and boat trailer, we use the coupler locks on the gates to our side yards.

They won't stop a determined criminal, but are good against most miscreants who are looking for easy pickings.
Ldubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:46 PM   #6

For the cross pin in the receiver and for the coupler lock, I use the locks made by Bolt. They have ones that match most keyed trucks and you insert the key and turn it and it "cuts" the internals of the lock to match the key. As noted, the locks are to prevent miscreants and vandals from ruining your day.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #7

I use Paclock for both my receiver and coupler.

https://www.paclock.com/applications/camping-outdoors/
Bulletstoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletstoppe View Post
I use Paclock for both my receiver and coupler.

https://www.paclock.com/applications/camping-outdoors/

Just looked at their website. Nice products. Will be buying from them in the future.
If I saw this a month ago, I'd have been at the Home Depot in Crystal River Fla. making a major purchase. Hope that expansion to other HD stores happens soon.

Bulletstoppe, thanks for the link.

Tim
Old 05-09-2021, 01:30 AM   #9

Yes, by all means use a lock or at least a pin through the coupler. I used to have a great lock I used for 15 years on my boat trailer. It was made specifically to use with a trailer. Any pad lock I think would work but if you find one specially made for trailer use buy it.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB673 View Post
Just looked at their website. Nice products. Will be buying from them in the future.
If I saw this a month ago, I'd have been at the Home Depot in Crystal River Fla. making a major purchase. Hope that expansion to other HD stores happens soon.

Bulletstoppe, thanks for the link.

Tim
I ordered mine from Amazon, keyed alike. Can order for with the same key too, if desired later. Took about 5 days.

While Home Depot may carry them, my local store does not.
Bulletstoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:48 AM   #11

This is what I use when the trailer is parked and unattended:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=master+tra..._2000x2000.jpg
(The one featured in the center)
I also use a bicycle padlock to lock the hitch when using my trailer which is an enclosed 26' snowmobile trailer.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:29 PM   #12

For the hitch I drilled out the hole and use a medium length padlock that is keyed the same as my other trailer padlocks.

When towing, I use a standard hitch pin for the coupler in case I want to unhook in a hurry. After unhooking, I remove the equalizer hitch and attach it back to the coupler at the campsite. I use a matching padlock to secure it so it doesn't walk off or fall on someone.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:50 AM   #13

I used a small padlock on the coupler. I latch the trailer pigtail into it to keep it from dragging. Making sure it won't bind in a turn. I use a regular pin with a clip to hold the ball hitch into the truck. The ONLY one I've ever had stolen was when I was using a locking pin. There is only a couple of keys to those so if you think yours is secure with the key, it's not.

I usually just remove the ball fro the truck when I'm not using it, and my truck is not a daily driver.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:56 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
For 35 plus years of pulling campers. I only used a coupler pin with a looped spring and a lock in the receiver hitch pin. Never any issues.

Fyi. I do have a coupler pin and coupler lock. But only use it when leaving the trailer where I dont think it will be safe.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch