Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #15

I bought my Northwood 5th wheel 5 hours and 307 miles from my home. Northwood and ORV will help with any warranty work needed. They will find an independent RV shop near you that can help if any warranty work is needed. They all need a little tweaking, so if you're the least bit handy and don't mind working on one, you can save yourself a lot of time. Google and YouTube are very good for RV work. We had a slight water leak from a bad part in the 1st week we owned our 5er. Northwood located an independent RV repair shop near me and the leak was fixed as I waited at the RV shop.
We had a few very minor things that needed attention after that. Going in to our 5th season in a few months. Couldn't be happier.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS View Post
HI-

--I've done a LOT of research online and talking with folks at shows, etc. To be honest, I'm also thinking of just bagging the whole idea of getting an RV based on all the problems and maintenance issues I see. At this stage of life, I want to have fun and travel not spend my time trying to get something fixed or repairing "China Bomb" tires alongside a narrow mountain road. I do remember the GREAT times I had as a kid in our family travel trailer though.
Bag it. It isn't for you. RVing provides its own challenges and problems. From what you wrote it isn't for you.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #17

Sounds like you have your porta cabin mostly figured out. The only other thing I will add is watch length. Depending on the model the height changes significantly in the 24-26 ft range. Heavier running gear needs more room so the height jumps up a foot or so. I don't think you will be going there given what you are looking at now but it is something to keep in mind when doing the what abouts.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #18

What you probably didn't notice when you were: a kid in the family trailer" was your father taking care of all the maintenance issues and fixes while you were out playing.
Anything you buy or even borrow will require repairing or fixing anything that goes wrong. I can't believe you have a car or truck that NEVER needed anything done to it? Not even adding fuel?
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:16 AM   #19

If you are shopping in Florida, I recommend checking out LA Mesa RV in Sanford. That is where we bought out Winnebago and were well treated.

Of course, YMMV....
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #20

Worth checking into maybe?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ApexBrochure.pdf (2.75 MB, 37 views)
Old 02-13-2017, 05:27 AM   #21

"Couples Camper" advice..

Try questions more basic.

How many years will you keep the trailer?

How many nights aboard annually?

How many miles towing annually?

When each of these becomes a high number, the better to consider a TT that doesn't fall apart by 50k miles or less than ten years (which is is all the square box trailers).

My parents, grandparents and I all recognized that a TT would be a long term possession. An asset to low or controlled cost travel.

In those fifty years, nothing has changed the advantage of an aerodynamic, all-aluminum TT. My folks kept theirs 27-years. My grandparents travelled the whole of the US, Canada and Mexico. I'm restoring mine as I work toward retirement. Every dollar I spend would be reflected in an increased sale price.

One needn't buy new. A quarter century old and still better than what's mainly at the RV shows.

A seasoned RV dealer used to steer his customers towards boxes if "travel" was a day or so away, and consisted of a week or more at a location before returning home. Those who really would travel he'd point out the advantage of aircraft type construction. An indefinite lifespan is just part of it.

I'm 6'2" 200#. I've no challenges to height in my 35' Silver Streak. Nor lack of storage, etc. And on the flats average 15-mpg as to other one ton Dodge diesels pulling similar trailers.

One doesn't need a truck this size unless, like me, one is full time and carrying a garage worth of tools, etc. plenty of nice SUVs and sedans can do the job, better, as well
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice