Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2022, 09:11 PM   #1

Cover for camper while in storage? Yes/no?

I have access to uncovered storage. It seems to me campers sitting out in the elements degrade much quicker than those that do not. What are everyones opinions on a cover for the camper?
fastpedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2022, 10:05 PM   #2

Yes cover. I washed, waxed, and covered my Trailer in April. When I uncovered it in September it looked like it just been washed.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:02 AM   #3

I am fortunate enough to have a covered shed to keep mine in, but if outside storage were my only option, I would absolutely put a cover on. I think sun exposure does more damage to RVs than anything.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:26 AM   #4

Just my view.
From reading on multiple sites, expect any cover to last 2-3 years. They are heavy and many have commented on difficulty installing and removing. Some may cause wear on the trailer from the fabric rubbing. Cost is going to be >$200. RVs are built to be outside in the weather. Absolutely, do not use a tarp - major issues with mold and mildew. So, it is probably a wash overall. I've just left mine outside with a pretty generous tilt to encourage water to run off the roof. And around me in SE Michigan, the vast majority of RVs in storage lots do not have covers.
Your money and time, your choice.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:00 PM   #5

While they can keep out UV, they don't keep out dust or moisture and can actually trap excess moisture. Add in the wind and you have a good environment to wear on the exterior, Airstream in particular cautions against covers for just this reason.

Most good covers will be $$ and will wear out in about 3 years. For my car, I replaced it every other year.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:38 PM   #6

I believe you should have your RV covered with something to protect it from any and all elements BUT at my age of 75 cloth covers are too heavy to install properly any longer. A few years ago we had a mid sized Lance TT, before that we had a diesel pusher and I covered them without a problem. Today we have a 27' Lance TT and find a cloth cover to much to handle.

So if you can handle the weight of the cover you should do it.
Ivins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:17 PM   #7

I'm putting up a car port cover. Here it's the sun that bakes things. Any vehicles last longer if stored out of the sun. It almost doubles the life of tractor tires if parked under a cover. DR
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:23 PM   #8

I'm building a car port cover. It's mostly the sun that eats up vehicles here. By parking your tractors indoors the tire life is almost double. DR
DR60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:15 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Those that cover, will tell you to cover. Those that don't will not. I cover all of my vehicles because I live among the pines and sap will quickly ruin any vehicle that's exposed if not cleaned off right away.

Would I cover if my situation was different, probably not.

I will add that I have not noticed any issues related to paint damage or excess moisture but will confirm that they only last 3 years max.
JaytheDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:03 PM   #10

I like to keep mine covered, but recently found the cover is rubbing down the EPDM roof membrane on the edges where it rolls over the side, the black under layer started showing.

Until I figure out a way to protect the roof edges, I'm not covering it.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:45 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Everybody does what they does...For us, we use the TT year around and see no reason to stop. No covers, out in the open year around, keep it polished, washed and used. Cheers! BTW, up to 8 feet of snow where we live...
Bigfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, cover, storage