Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2022, 12:28 PM   #1

Cover for Travel Trailer

Hi,
What do I need to know before buying an RV cover for my 32' TT?

I'm in a part of Maryland that gets 4 seasons of weather and close to half of it is damp. My TT is parked 6' away from the side of the house with tall trees about 15" away on the other side so the dampness sticks around day by day unless it's hot and dry. Trees provide shade promoting green and mossy growth on the older driveway edges and TT roof (no moss on the roof though). I scrubbed a lot of green off the roof (edges/corners) a few months ago.

Which types of covers/material should I avoid? I'm assuming, but don't know if cover quality affects how damp it can get underneath.

Is it worth getting a full cover or is just the roof sufficient?

Anything else that I won't realize is an issue until I put it on??

Is it worth getting a more expensive cover, or do they all need replacement in a 2-4 years making a something like mid-grade version the most cost effective?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions !
-Steve

2018 - 32' Grand Design 2800BH
2017 - Ford F350 6.2 / 3:73
murbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2022, 08:17 PM   #2

I bought an ebay special once! It lasted a week and the wind here shredded it. The local custom boat cover shop will build very nice covers that last but not cheap. I have since put up a building I keep mine in. Def want a good one that breathes or you could get mildew build up.
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:33 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Suggest building a hard cover vs. soft cover to protect your TT. I installed a lightweight cover for my 36 ft fifth wheel trailer which shreded in 9 months, then replaced it with a heavy cover and it shredded in just over 2 years while stored outside. Now I store my fifth wheel trailer and motorhome uncovered, both outside.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:23 AM   #4

Cover

I bought this one with a lifetime warranty and I like it so far. I used it last winter and it held up to the wind and heavy snow. If it rips, I'll test their warranty. Otherwise, I hope to have a carport type cover in another year.

Edit: link removed. It's a Gold Shield 5L RV cover
Old 08-18-2022, 02:24 PM   #5

A cover can't stop moss or mold from growing. The spores are already there.
I never use a cover in the summer. Too much work to put on and off each time I go camping.

However, to answer your question, what you need to know to order a cover is the dimensions of your RV.
To prevent the cover from ripping apart in the wind you will need a properly fitting cover, properly strapped down and secured. You also need to put down your radio antenna and cushion any sharp corners such as gutter drains.
Remember, good fit, properly strapped.

I bought a cover from Amazon 4 years ago and it is still in service. It's similar to this ADCO
https://www.amazon.com/Covercraft-74...-18-spons&th=1

You can spend a whole lot more on a custom-sized cover.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Suggest building a hard cover vs. soft cover to protect your TT. I installed a lightweight cover for my 36 ft fifth wheel trailer which shreded in 9 months, then replaced it with a heavy cover and it shredded in just over 2 years while stored outside. Now I store my fifth wheel trailer and motorhome uncovered, both outside.
I've been thinking about building a tall barn style carport attached to the garage for the RV, but it's out of reach financially for a few more years. The wife disapproved plans for a metal structure.
I built an A frame out of 3/4" pvc that rests on top of the TT's roof so I can toss a large tarp over it and still keep 12-18" of air space, but it's too much hassle even for winter only usage. Just a real pain in my arse.

Glad I asked. I'll keep my plans pointed toward a barn style structure. I'll procrastinate if I get a cover in the meantime.

Thanks !!
murbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:21 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We bought a full cover for our TT. It fit fine, and seemed to be just the answer to keep the snow off the trailer.
However, the only time we took the cover off, it weighed a ton (wet), and we had a real chore drying it off in the garage. Over a month to completely dry it.
The next month, we just gave up and rented a covered storage. Cheaper than falling off the roof or tying up the garage with laundry.
Not the answer you wanted, sorry.

Tags
cover, trailer, travel, travel trailer