Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 07:35 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cracked frame on old Airstream

I am looking at buying this two axle Airstream travel trailer that has been gutted completely down to just the metal. I thought this would be ideal for me to start from scratch and make a modern one. Even the floor has been removed. Upon closer inspection I saw the frame is heavily rusted and cracked in two places. On each U channel (the main backbones) it is cracked down to just about one inch of metal holding them together up near the front.

I was almost ready to back up to it and tow it home. But realized that if either one of those were to break on the road it could cause a serious crash.

I'm entertaining any thoughts on whether it is worth the risk of trying to fix. It's a really great price! Does anybody here have any experience with this sort of thing?

My three ideas.
1. Bolting angle iron on over both cracks and hoping that it doesn't break anywhere else on the one hour trip home.
2. Loading it up on my flat bed trailer. But that would be problematic too since the frame could break while loading it. And the Airstream wheels and axles would sit right on top of the flat bed wheels. It would have to be blocked up in the air to clear them.
3. Removing the Airstream shell and bolting it down onto my flat bed trailer to make a sort of hybrid thing that still looks like a cool Airstream. Which would still involve going with the first or second moving methods.

Thoughts?

Also if anybody is an Airstream expert could you guess what year it is? I'm thinking seventies. (there is no title)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_2619886288301630.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	319230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210224-172702_Facebook.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	319231  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210222_134923.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	319232  
phil8656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #2

If I wanted the trailer to travel to your home I would call a local welder that has a portable welder that could add / weld a piece of steel in the U Channel if there is enough metal to weld to. If there is not enough metal left to weld to I would walk away the cost to replace the U Channels could be more than you want to spend unless you can weld. Next issue is getting a title so you can get plates for it.
jimjenturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:48 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
That frame is repairable. A good welding shop or heavy truck/tractor repair shop can handle it.
The trick is getting it there. Will it fit on your flatbed backwards?

Maybe performing a temporary repair on the spot is the best way. Weld or bolt in doubler plates over the cracked areas.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:14 AM   #4

A common issue especially on rear bath models. The good news is that all the warts are visible allowing you to make a good decision for you.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:11 PM   #5

If the price is right and it is what you want just get a mobile welder to make the repair or a temp repair to get to their shop.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:10 AM   #6

Some frames 'can' lose their temper by welding, important to know. If you see rivets for attachment points then be wary, if you see welds then, additional welding is generally OK.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:05 PM   #7

Does anybody here have any experience with this sort of thing?
Yes, I do.

My three ideas.
1. Bolting angle iron on over both cracks and hoping that it doesn't break anywhere else on the one hour trip home.
This is your best option.
With it gutted like it is the weight is low. Far lower than the frame is designed for.
The angle iron will need to be at least 6' and some heavy 2x2 or bigger.

2. Loading it up on my flat bed trailer. But that would be problematic too since the frame could break while loading it. And the Airstream wheels and axles would sit right on top of the flat bed wheels. It would have to be blocked up in the air to clear them.
More work than putting a band-aid on the frame and towing it home.

3. Removing the Airstream shell and bolting it down onto my flat bed trailer to make a sort of hybrid thing that still looks like a cool Airstream. Which would still involve going with the first or second moving methods.

Thoughts?
I've rebuilt many salvage campers, I hope you're getting this thing for a song.

...a $500 or less song
Old 02-27-2021, 06:36 PM   #8

A crack in a frame can easily be repaired by welding. No big deal. I'm sure you can tow it as is because there's no load on the frame after everything's been stripped out.

Go to airformums.com. There are airstream freaks there that know everything about Airstreams.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:06 AM   #9

The body of an Airstream sits on the floor, which sits on the frame. There are a number of good blogs and Youtube video series that cover a frame up, body off restoration. You will have to remove the entire body to sandblast/repair/paint the frame and then fit a new floor to it, and then the body.

Try this series of videos out, its an Argosy (Airstream's cheaper sibling), but the same except for some minor differences.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...dBhW-7GXFIEzRI

The Airstreams built during the time that Beatrice Foods owned them (1967-80) are noted for having lighter frames that cracked easily, but some say the ones in the '70's are good.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f35...oid-36858.html

Those frames are typical mild steel and easily repaired by welding and gusseting over.

Since you are a member here, I would go over to the Air Forums and poke around, it is an RVLife forum under the same umbrella as iRV2 and uses the same log in as here.

Charles
Old 02-28-2021, 09:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Does anybody here have any experience with this sort of thing?
Yes, I do.

My three ideas.
This is your best option.
With it gutted like it is the weight is low. Far lower than the frame is designed for.
The angle iron will need to be at least 6' and some heavy 2x2 or bigger.

More work than putting a band-aid on the frame and towing it home.

Thoughts?
I've rebuilt many salvage campers, I hope you're getting this thing for a song.

...a $500 or less song
THIS RIGHT HERE ^^ use the angle iron and some bolts to get it home your not talking about much weight. you can then get it repaired properly when you get it home. BIG but fun project.
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, airstream, frame