Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #1

Cracked Sidewall

I have a 2011 8319SS Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite. Recently I opened the 2 slideouts. The temp. was about 5 Celcius and the trailer was not completely level. Anyway, when the large slideout opened, a crack formed above the top corner running to the slide topper rail. Is it possible to repair. I have no warranty and I know that replacing the entire sidewall is extremely expensive. Any help would be appreciated!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	150954
madmax0527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Maybe someone else can chime in here. We repaired fiberglass hoods on the trucks, but they were much thicker and there was room to build it up from the back side. I can only think it will have to be ground out and repaired with new glass matt and resin. Then painted. Any idea how thick that is? Good luck on the repairs.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #3

Put a piece of eternabond on it and go camping. I have been told that these side walls are pretty thin and not actually gelcoat so not sure of the repair process.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #4

I would check with a reputable dealer about a recommended repair. Depending on what they say and how much you are willing to pay, it might warrant going with an Eternabond type fix. Just my thoughts.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:57 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Go to West System Epoxy website for some tutorials and help. Fiberglass is not hard to repair. The bigger question is why did it crack?
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:51 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Something had to have caught on it. Were you level and did you sweep off the slide out roof before closing it the last time ?
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #7

Update - I've talked with a few RV dealerships as well as a couple of companies that do fiberglass work. From the replies I've received, fiberglass repair and restoration can be done but no one will guarantee that the repair will properly blend in to the surrounding wall, and obviously that it won't crack again. What I have decided to do is have the crack cleaned up and have a 1" trim piece installed over the crack. They've insured me they can install and seal properly. At least I won't have to worry about it cracking in the same spot. I will post a picture of the finished product upon completion.
madmax0527 is offline   Reply With Quote