Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2018, 11:03 AM   #1

Cruiser Fun Finder Axles

Question for the minds that know. My Fun Finder is a 29DS, right at 32 feet, dry weight is 6065, gross is 7200.

I never tow with anything in any of the tanks. Loaded out with 2 lp bottles, batteries, plates, dishes, etc am at 6700 lb.

Ps, hitch weight dry is 640.

My truck is a 3\4 ton, cooler, bikes, kayak gear are all in the truck.

Here is the thing, it's 2 years old (2017) and the rear axle has bent twice. No curbing, no big crater size potholes. I suspicion the damage was done by an overpass on the highway.

But, factory axles are 2 Dexter 3500 under slung units. My buddy has the same axles on his 25 ft 5000 lb trailer.

Do these seem too light from the factory. If I can't tow down the interstate at 65 without bending an axle, something must be wrong.
tco0608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #2

If the gross weight is 7,200 then right away, you've overloaded the axles The pair of axles is designed to carry 7,000 lbs. Out of curiosity have you looked at the weight carrying capacity of the tires?
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #3

1700 c rated. But I upgraded to Goodyear endurance d rated
Old 06-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lots of trailers only have enough capacity to carry the gross weight minus tongue weight. I believe in having some cushion there and would suggest going with the next size axles but it IS legal, just not smart.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #5

How do you know the axles are bent? They are bent upwards or downwards in the middle?
lcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcboy View Post
How do you know the axles are bent? They are bent upwards or downwards in the middle?

Not the uppward bow in the middle of the axle. You can see the negative camber on one rear wheel. (passenger side rear to be exact)

And actually when the shop replaced the first axle, the new axle does not have the bow in it, the new one is flat.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
All trailer axles are supposed to have an upward bend in the middle which makes the wheels have a slight outward lean at the top of the tire when unloaded. As the load increases the tire stands up straight, at least that is the theory. When overloaded the top of the tire leans inward causing wear on the inside edge of the tire.

Improper jacking or hitting curbs or other obstructions will bend them also.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #8

Thanks for the info guys. I drug it up to my dealer this morning to see what they say. This is the forth trip. First time they had it 4 months. God knows how long this time.

Service manager craws under and says yep, its bent, bad! He gets a mechanic who says its bent bad and don't tow it anymore. He says the axles are too light.

They are calling the manufacture on Monday, lets see what kind of fight this ends up being.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tco0608 View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I drug it up to my dealer this morning to see what they say. This is the forth trip. First time they had it 4 months. God knows how long this time.

Service manager craws under and says yep, its bent, bad! He gets a mechanic who says its bent bad and don't tow it anymore. He says the axles are too light.

They are calling the manufacture on Monday, lets see what kind of fight this ends up being.
Without knowing the certified weights for your trailer's GVWR loaded, GVW = dry weight, vehicle certified axles GAWRs, maximum cargo capacity and vehicle manufacturer recommended tongue weight, no one can determine the axles are to light.

To figure the proper axle size take the trailer's GVWR and subtract the trailer manufacturers recommended (published) tongue weight, divide by number of axles. That's the minimum acceptable GAWR axle weight requirement. Tires total load capacity must equal each GAWR they are fitted to.

The only official numbers for GVWR, GAWRs and original tire sizes are those displayed on the trailer's certification label. It's found on the LH forward external section of the trailer.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Without knowing the certified weights for your trailer's GVWR loaded, GVW = dry weight, vehicle certified axles GAWRs, maximum cargo capacity and vehicle manufacturer recommended tongue weight, no one can determine the axles are to light.

To figure the proper axle size take the trailer's GVWR and subtract the trailer manufacturers recommended (published) tongue weight, divide by number of axles. That's the minimum acceptable GAWR axle weight requirement. Tires total load capacity must equal each GAWR they are fitted to.

The only official numbers for GVWR, GAWRs and original tire sizes are those displayed on the trailer's certification label. It's found on the LH forward external section of the trailer.

yep we did that 7675 -640 = 7035

7035 /2 = 3517

So yeah, they are over loaded.

This is the second axle bent with basically nothing in the trailer.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tco0608 View Post
yep we did that 7675 -640 = 7035

7035 /2 = 3517

So yeah, they are over loaded.

This is the second axle bent with basically nothing in the trailer.
In your first post you said your gross was 7200 with a 640 pin. Those figures worked. Is the 7675 the certified GVWR or is the 7200 the GVWR? I can't find the specs for that model on any website.

On edit; Found the specs for a 2017 Cruiser Fun Finder Xtreme Lite 29DS. They list the GVWR as 7640# with a 640 pin. That leaves 7000# for two 3500# axles. All legal when fitted with four ST205/75R14C tires.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
In your first post you said your gross was 7200 with a 640 pin. Those figures worked. Is the 7675 the certified GVWR or is the 7200 the GVWR? I can't find the specs for that model on any website.

On edit; Found the specs for a 2017 Cruiser Fun Finder Xtreme Lite 29DS. They list the GVWR as 7640# with a 640 pin. That leaves 7000# for two 3500# axles. All legal when fitted with four ST205/75R14C tires.

7200 was from a flyer I had from 2016, the 7675 was from the factory sticker on the door of my camper.

Even if the axles are 3500 and the trailer weight works out to 7000, that leaves no room for the momentum weight, nor any weight transferred by the WDH.

None the less this camper has bent the rear axle twice with nothing in it but sheets, plastic plates and a little food in the pantry. Not even a cooler or anything of any weight. The last one bent it on the first trip since getting it back from the dealer. All interstate driving, no curbing, nothing that should have bent it. And bent it to the point the dealer and mechanic said it wasn't safe.

Sticker says I have 1400 lb to play with. LP bottles 60, battery 50, no water, cooler in the bed of the truck, bikes in the bed of the truck. 2 camp chairs, plastic table that came with the trailer, and the grill that came with it too. All in the front cubby. rest is nothing, I am nowhere near 1400lb.

So I'm not over weight, nothing really to remove. And I have to do something.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #13

So here are the specs for the 2018 model, and check this out, its GVW is considerably higher, and I am guessing this is a correction to my problem.

Exterior Length 31' 11"

Exterior Width 8'

Exterior Height 10' 10"

Axle Weight (lbs.) 5,900

Hitch Weight (lbs.) 580

GVWR (lbs.) 9,380

Dry Weight (lbs.) 6,480

F-29DS | Cruiser RV
Old 06-17-2018, 06:02 PM   #14

There is no such thing as an official door sticker for rv trailers unless you're referring to the CCC label. I already explaind where to find your trailer's certification label. You are also reading the wrong info about weights. All propane weights are part of GVW when the trailer leaves tha factory. Its been that way since 2007.

The dealer is authorized to modify the CCC label whenever they add options/equipment that totals more than 100#. Nothing they add has anything to do with the trailer's factory certified GAWR or GVWR values. They can only be changed by the vehicle manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier.

If all the weights, as manufactured and certified are correct, and in accordance with FMVSS standards, in the eyes of the industry, its safe as equipped.