Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #1

Curb ramps

I just bought a 18' single axle TT. Took it out camping once, had a great time, but I do have one problem. Backing in my driveway, the rear bumper drags, and then when I go further the tongue bottoms out. I made some 5' ramps out of 26 boards but need something better. The ramps I saw on amazon that had 5000lb capacity cost $450. Has anyone found a cheaper brand / solution?Click image for larger version

Name:	20200803_125630.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	296100
kbustaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2020, 12:30 PM   #2

I have seen PVC pipes put in the gutters when needed to stop a vehicle from dropping into it. Easily removed when not needed.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #3

I use the plastic leveling blocks as I'm backing in. I use them under the trailer or the truck tires, depending on where I need the height.
modrodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:01 PM   #4

To clarify, because the street slopes down, the rear bottoms out before the wheels get anywhere near the curb....
Old 08-06-2020, 01:05 PM   #5

Ok, maybe I can look into this, I would need a lot, but at least I can use them for leveling when I go camping..
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrodr View Post
I use the plastic leveling blocks as I'm backing in. I use them under the trailer or the truck tires, depending on where I need the height.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:43 PM   #6

The trailer looks like it is running nose down. The truck looks level. This may be an optical illusion. I can not see the WDH but I think it is there and properly adjusted.

If the TT is actually running nose down, it should be raised. That may help with the tongue dragging.

There is nothing wrong with keeping a couple of 2x10's in the garage to use going in or out of the driveway. I keep 2x10 stabilizer pads at home to keep the painted steel off the cement.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:37 PM   #7

Maybe raise the nose and attach swivel casters at the rear (?) .

Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
The trailer looks like it is running nose down. The truck looks level. This may be an optical illusion. I can not see the WDH but I think it is there and properly adjusted.

If the TT is actually running nose down, it should be raised. That may help with the tongue dragging.

There is nothing wrong with keeping a couple of 2x10's in the garage to use going in or out of the driveway. I keep 2x10 stabilizer pads at home to keep the painted steel off the cement.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Thanks... 2x10's would be an improvement over my 2x6's. I'm in the sacramento delta, and everything is sinking. The middle of the circle in the picture is not sinking, so it's all sloped down ! Maybe I'll just look into getting stotage.but I like having the trailer right there.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seon View Post
Maybe raise the nose and attach swivel casters at the rear (?) .

I can try to look into them, could be a solution....the black tank hangs just as low as the bumper, so they would have to be tall enough.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:27 PM   #10

I'd make the ramps with one long 2 x 10 with layers of progressively shorter pieces underneath it so it matches the profile of your road to driveway transition. That way the ramp won't need to actually carry the weight of your trailer. If it's too heavy you can make it in a couple of sections that get stacked on top of each other.

I had a similar problem when backing out of my drive. It was solved when I bought new tires in a slightly higher size. They raised the back end of my trailer enough that I no longer dragged.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:30 PM   #11

Why not raise the whole trailer. Spring works place can do this for you. Just add fully boxed material between the axel and frame. Added 3 lift on mine.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:32 PM   #12

Get an axle flip kit and raise the trailer a few inches.

You don't actually flip the axle, you bolt it under the springs.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:13 PM   #13

I would try leveling the trailer to see if it helps.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Why not raise the whole trailer. Spring works place can do this for you. Just add fully boxed material between the axel and frame. Added 3 lift on mine.
I would like to raise the trailer. But unfortunately I have limited overhead clearance in my carport....Click image for larger version

Name:	20200808_175917.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	296452