Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #1

Custom bedroom door

Hello

My bedroom only has a curtain. Has anyone installed their own door to replace the curtain and add privacy?

The doorway does not have a header. The curtain track is mounted on the ceiling.
kark0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #2
IC2

Not all RV doors have headers. But with that said, if you are handy with tools and have access to a power saw, this is a fairly easy mod, including adding a header. You just have to be careful that screws don't penetrate where they shouldn't. A Home Depot, etc., folding door might work well, painted or stained to match the interior.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #3

My brother-in-law added a accordion style door he bought at an RV dealer. Just use the same location of the curtain rail.

Not as good as a wood door but better than a curtain. Wireman
Old 02-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
At Home Depot you can get a framed fire door. Just kidding. If you just have a good solid side frame you really don't need a header for a light door.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kark0202 View Post
Hello

My bedroom only has a curtain. Has anyone installed their own door to replace the curtain and add privacy?

The doorway does not have a header. The curtain track is mounted on the ceiling.
I had one of those annoying according doors from bath to bedroom in my 2008 Keystone Springdale. Very noisy. I got a 24" pre-hung 2 panel interior hollow core door at Home Depot and put it in. I also changed out the bath to living area door with the same door but just the door, not a pre-hung unit. Pretty simple and straightforward job if you are handy with tools. I also did not have a header. But my trailer interior height is such that not much of a header was needed. Why in the world the factory didn't do this is beyond me. Cheap job and made a world of difference. Most all door come with the door knob holes already drilled out so you will end up with a short door knob, but that is no big issue.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #6

BTW, if you go with a pre-hung door you figure your header thickness by what ever trim piece you will use. I actually got a standard door trim kit and just cut the top, header, piece down a bit so I could have plenty of head room walking through. IIRC my total header thickness ended up being about 1".
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we have a built-in pocket door. You could possibly consider that.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:11 AM   #8
IC2

Our local Home Depot has/had several folding doors on the sale cart yesterday - they may be changing distributors or brand names.

That pocket door mentioned above is nice but it would take a lot more work to cut into the partition to add (our 5er has one as well)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:28 AM   #9

Ours was the same way in our jayco. This is what we did it works great. We already had the door left over from some remodeling, it fit perfect. Just got the hardware from lowes. It took me about an hour to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4322.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	119902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4324.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	119903  

Polk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #10

Custom bedroom door

Looks nice better then an accordion door mine has a pocket door which we love if if didn't I would of done this for sure
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door