Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2021, 04:57 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Jim View Post
IMO, I would go with this one. I

If you decide you need more later, just hang another one the same on, and double your reserve.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2021, 07:42 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
IMO, I would go with this one. I

If you decide you need more later, just hang another one the same on, and double your reserve.
I did get the Napa Group 31.
You have a great point on getting another one. I'm going to try out this one and see how it works out.
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:47 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Your going to have a tough time getting through 4 days with anything but lithium. You could put 2 in about the same space and weight but get your wallet out because on a good day you can get 200ah lithium for $1500.
Not so fast.
I paid $800 for 170ah LiFePo4. Made in USA. 3 year warranty. Buy on the phone and negotiate.

I can go 3 days without using generator. Could go longer if I had an absorption fridge instead of compressor.

I had 4 FLA in my last MH. Replaced them every year and maintaining them was a PITA. Done with that.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:19 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Not so fast.

I paid $800 for 170ah LiFePo4. Made in USA. 3 year warranty. Buy on the phone and negotiate.

I can go 3 days without using generator. Could go longer if I had an absorption fridge instead of compressor.

I had 4 FLA in my last MH. Replaced them every year and maintaining them was a PITA. Done with that.
What's that name of the company and number you called to buy over the phone ?

Replacing flooded batteries every year is a sure sign of battery abuse.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:47 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Your going to have a tough time getting through 4 days with anything but lithium. .
the type of battery has nothing to do with your battery banks' capacity; I have 4GC 6V for a total of 450 AH's......4 days isn't a problem. Some people may not have the space or may not be able to deal with the weight, but neither are an issue for me.

Dave
Old 07-13-2021, 08:50 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

As I said earlier, I've typically gotten 5+ years easily from a good quality lead acid 6V. I check the levels and I bring them in and put them on a maintenance charger in the winter. Not sure I'll need to do that now that my ORV has a built in multi-level charger.

Dave
Old 07-13-2021, 12:13 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

I could have been guilty of battery abuse when younger with kids. Putting the MH away in storage regardless of SOC, so we could get home from a trip early enough for dinner and put them to bed for school the next day. Surely many batteries suffer at the hands of working parents.

Now retired. Like I said, I don’t want to think about batteries any more. My LiFePo4 will surely last longer then me.

Purchased from https://bigbattery.com/
There is a sales phone number on the contact us tab. When I bought back in November, the web price was $900. I just said that it was too expensive for my budget, and the salesperson gave me $100 off and free shipping. Seems their prices have crept up a bit, and they may no longer offer a 170ah battery.
Some of the other things I really like about the battery is, LCD Voltage display on front of battery case, onboard on/off switch, rope handles, and single plug Anderson cable terminal. I didn’t use the 6awg cable they provided. I bought custom made 1/0 2ft long cables with Anderson on one end and ring terminals on the other end to connect to my bus bars. When I want to remove the battery, all I have to do is pull the Anderson plug, lift and go.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:34 PM   #64

Jayco Owners Club
Speaking of abuse, I have been guilty of that as well, with reason. I would go on Bass Tournaments while RV boondocking and every day I would run the boat trolling motor batteries all the way down, and every night I would end up running the RV batteries all the way down. Then I would try to fast charge the boat batteries and RV batteries to go another day. I will assure everyone with that type of abuse, you will be lucky to get even a year out of a lead acid battery. I know a lot of RV'rs abuse their batteries as well likely without knowing it. How many posts are there here in the forums from RV'rs who state their batteries don't last more then one or two nights? The question by itself tells you they are fully discharging their batteries. Especially when in the colder months where so many people ask why their heater will not run on batteries all night, regardless of everything else, the question indicates they are running their battery(s) totally down.

However, now with Lifepo4, that same type of abuse is not an issue. I suspect the reason is due to the Lifepo4 batteries BMS. I can charge the Lifepo4 RV batteries at a high amp rate and drain them all the way down when\if needed, which may not be optimal for thousands and thousands of cycles, but the BMS disconnects the battery before any significant low voltage damage occurs.

I have nothing against lead acid batteries as that is all I used (like most of us) until I started using Lifepo4 batteries. The weight being a big factor for my bass boat and my class c. One other thought, is that for those of you who say not to get Lifepo4's because they will not keep their RV all that long, my plan for that is that when I sell my RV, I will simply keep my Lifepo4's and install a walmart deep cycle battery prior to the sale. ~CA
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:39 PM   #65

Like Nigel Calder, the author of “Boatowners M&E Manual, has said batteries don’t die they are murdered.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:01 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Not so fast.

If LFP are "claimed" to last 10-15 yrs why only a 3 yr warranty?
I'm on yr 8 with East Penn AGMs in my boat and still doing well.

I picked up a dozen AGM UPS battys that were being pulled on a PM schedule. That was about 15 yrs ago and still using my last one. The ones not in use were kept on maintainers.

I have to wonder how many members have had the same RV / MH for 15 yrs that it would take to break even after investing in LFP? I may not live that long and likely won't be MHing or boating...I'm happy sticking with AGMs but realize other situations may be very different.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:36 PM   #67

Solo Rvers Club
Forest River Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Need help choosing an AGM battery

After reading this thread and another on 12v refrigerators, I'm fairly certain the RV dealership service killed the battery that came with my 2021 little Coachmen Freedom Express travel trailer. They let it sit and drain totally, several times. When I picked it up today, the Interstate deep cycle SRM-24 didn't even charge the least bit on the hour drive home. The trickle charger I've put on it in the past kept coming up with error messages. I won't be going back to the dealer again.

So, thanks to y'all's lessons, I'm choosing an AGM battery. I only want to be able to boondock a single overnight here and there, and run the 12v Everchill fridge. If you would be so kind as to look at a couple of these choices:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/VMAX-SLR1...00Ah/838809284

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...41?recordNum=2

Thanks!
Nana
Nanawriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:13 AM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanawriter View Post
If you would be so kind as to look at a couple of these choices:
I would lean towards one that is "deep cycle" vs "dual purpose". For the same money you could get a Trojan group 27 "real" deep cycle with what I consider to have a better record of performance.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:02 AM   #69

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:

So, thanks to y'all's lessons, I'm choosing an AGM battery. I only want to be able to boondock a single overnight here and there, and run the 12v Everchill fridge. If you would be so kind as to look at a couple of these choices:

Thanks!
Nana
For just a little bit more you could get this one and it will absolutely last much longer and allow a much deeper discharge with no
long-term degradation.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/386084520
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:22 AM   #70

Quote:
After reading this thread and another on 12v refrigerators, I'm fairly certain the RV dealership service killed the battery that came with my 2021 little Coachmen Freedom Express travel trailer. They let it sit and drain totally, several times. When I picked it up today, the Interstate deep cycle SRM-24 didn't even charge the least bit on the hour drive home. The trickle charger I've put on it in the past kept coming up with error messages. I won't be going back to the dealer again.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...41?recordNum=2

Thanks!
Nana
I think either one would be good.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries