Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2021, 04:57 AM   #1

Deep cycle batteries

I need a new battery for my TT. 2002 Hornet 25 FL. Just the wife and myself.
I'm sort of confused on what to get.
I have no solar. Need one that will get me through a four day stay at least.
What's your suggestions ?
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2021, 05:24 AM   #2

Batteries come in group sizes 24, 27, 29/31. Each bigger size has more capacity. I my mind the best battery for my budget would be a group 29/31 AGM battery. At least that is my current mindset. AGM is the best designed acid battery. They are supposed to last a few years longer too.

They you have the 6v battery option. You will need two 6v in parallel to get to 12v. These are typically refered to as golf cart batteries. Anyway these batteries give more cycles and can be discharged deeper. They also will last longer (more years) than the normal 12v deep cycle battery. I am not sure about how these batteries compare to an AGM battery.

The best of the best are the new Litium Ion RV batteries. Just like on your cell phone you get lots of recharge cycles plus you can discharge down to further. Not sure what convertor changes need to be made. These are nose bleed expensive like $800 - $1,000.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:25 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Need to know what you plan to run.. Just lights? Incandescent or LED?
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concord View Post
Need to know what you plan to run.. Just lights? Incandescent or LED?
Led lights, water pump. That's about it.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Jim View Post
Led lights, water pump. That's about it.
Depending on space available you might consider 2 options.
A pair of 6V GC battys in series to get 12V (either flooded or AGM)
A pair of GP 31 AGM in parallel... provides roughly the same AH as above. Good deep cycle performance in AGM only as FLA they are generally start batty.

Benefit of 12V is if you lose one disconnect and run on one until you can replace. You might even get by with only one. Might be worth a try if you have space to add 2nd if needed. GP31s larger foot print so check space.

With 6V if either goes you lose evrything. GCs are taller so check clearance

If you have 12V fridge or furnace blower they are bigger loads but just LED & occasional water pump should be pretty low AH needs.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:22 AM   #6

I went with a pair of GC2's in series (golf cart batts)...

I found them easier to carry around. Two 65lb batteries instead of one 120lb Batt...

The biggest feature I can think of is how you don't have to match them as tightly as a pair of 12v in parallel... (Unmatched parallel Batts will draw each other down, and ruin service life)...

Lithium Ion, is the best performing type... You can draw them down to zero and they'll take it without damage...
They also charge much faster... (Sometimes too fast when charging from your TVs alternator)...
But you need different charge voltages to use them. Some converters have a setting you can change, so check that first...
But .. they are pricy...
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:28 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Whatever battery it has now is a baseline in terms of how it worked for you unless you just got the trailer. If you're starting from scratch you could measure the loads you have, apply the time you'd use each in a typical day and come up with a pretty good estimate for what you'd need in a battery.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

They you have the 6v battery option. You will need two 6v in parallel to get to 12v. These are typically refered to as golf cart batteries. ...
Probably just a typo... but to be sure, you have to wire two 6 volt batteries in SERIES to get 12 volts.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:53 AM   #9

I'm probably not going with two six volts.
Just 1 - 12v
Old 07-06-2021, 07:19 AM   #10

What do you think of this one?

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP8...+cycle+battery
Old 07-06-2021, 07:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Jim View Post
I need a new battery for my TT. 2002 Hornet 25 FL. Just the wife and myself.
I'm sort of confused on what to get.
I have no solar. Need one that will get me through a four day stay at least.
What's your suggestions ?
Lots of good advice above.

How much you need is of course personal. However, there is some advice I can offer.
If you always camp connected to shore power, You don't need much.
If you dry camp or boon dock, you need quite a bit.

LED lights, water pump, refer on propane, water heater on propane, and charging cell phones does not require much.

Add furnace in cold weather, charging computers, and maybe a CPAP machine and you may need more.

We run all of the above. We have 200 amp hours of Marine AGM deep draw batteries. It lasts at least three days in freezing temperatures. It lasts 5 days in mild summer temperatures. There is a substantial reserve at the ends of the times listed.

I installed two 100 amp hour AGM group 31 batteries. A 50 amp converter/Charger would charge fast, so if you use a generator to recharge you would need a charger that big or more.

I use a 30 amp WFCO charger. It works fine using shore power for recharging.

Choosing An RV Battery https://www.irv2.com/forums/download...do=file&id=231
This is a good article, but its recommendations against “Marine Batteries” does not apply to “Marine AGM batteries”.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:50 AM   #12

If you plan to hang onto the trailer for awhile, consider going to AGM.

LifeLine makes a good battery, and is a company that stands behind their products.

https://lifelinebatteries.com/products/rv-batteries/

The LifeLine GRP31XT is 125AH's. If you have the headroom, their 30 series bumps you to 150AH's in a single 12V.

Trojan is another respected line of Deep Cycle batteries, and they have a T1275 12V you could compare in your shopping.

And basically the bigger the battery, the higher the Amp Hours.

I have no first hand experience with the Napa battery you asked about. But usually a battery marked as Marine/Deep Cycle - is sort of a compromise between supporting say starting a motor, and then also providing lighting and other minimum draws, in a single battery. (They say Deep Cycle, but most of these are not a true Deep Cycle battery.) (And they cost less for a reason. Not a knock to this battery or NAPA, as they are built to a specific purpose and price point.)

As noted by others in this thread. Do the math on what you feel you need, and then make your choice!

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:34 AM   #13

Since the Napa battery says "Marine" ,
it implies that it's for starting also?
How about this one from Interstate?
I'm not really looking for a boondocking setup I really only boondock it for a one nighter at the most.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...u/rv-equipment
Old 07-06-2021, 08:44 AM   #14

That NAPA battery is a run of the mill battery. Nothing really special about it other than it is a group 31 which is good. One thing that use to be true is a small group 24 had thin plates and the vibration of travel would sometimes break the thin connection between the plates. I was told group 27 and group 29/31 had thicker connections between the plates making them last longer in general over a small group 24 before needing replaced.

I like the Interstate brand more than a NAPA brand.

For me - I am looking to buy my 1st AGM battery to see if it as good as advertised.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries