RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2020, 06:29 PM   #15

Sounds like they are trying to make everything right while being fair. Hope all goes well with the purchase. I'd recommend considering the slide topper, but that's just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
I'm going to keep updating, because, at least so far, I'm having a good experience..

So I talked to the person handling the scheduling and prep of the trailer today. They actually called us, because they got the pictures from the sales person, but a couple of things weren't obvios.

re the TV: While she didn't recognize what was wrong right away, as soon as I mentioned to look how close it was to the ceiling I got a "whoa, that's not right", we'll fix that.

reL the under oven drawer... They were already on that. The westcoast model has a large outdoor kitchen so I loose ALL of the under-counter storage. She agreed that doesn't fly... period. I'm not sure I'm getting the actual matching oven door, by the way, she said.. "We'll do something" in maybe just regular drawers, or a deep drawer, but she was with me. Can't take all the storage away and leave nothing.

re the bottom door on the pantry.. that is a "design choice" for them, but she is going to price a door for me. The above picture must have been taken without the slide all the way out because the door would clear the bench. I have a picture on my phone showing that it would. I offered to buy the door, but it was going to have one.

re; the missing doors in the bathroom, she agreed, that's not acceptable. We'd have to load in and load out every time as stuff would be on the floor on the first bump or turn.

So, all in all, they seem to be doing us right.

One other issue, and I think this speaks to the level of the dealership. I realize their job is to sell, but a good salesman recognizes where the limit is. When we did the paperwork at the show, I was reading while Lisa was listening. As I was going through the "extended warranty" info, I thought it was a pretty cool deal. However, after re-reading it in the comfort of my home, I realized I was reading the "NOT INCLUDED" list, thinking it was the "INCLUDED" list.

As we had to go down and re-sign the paperwork anyway yesterday (because the bank actually came back with a LOWER rate than initially quoted), I asked for the extended warranty to be removed. I explained what I did.. I also explained that for the cost of the warranty I could REPLACE any appliance (actually I did the math, could replace ALL of them) and still have money left over. She took it off the bill.. no argument.

So, so far, my "buying a new RV tip" is know what you want going in, acknowledge you understand they aren't in the "give away free stuff" business, but you want certain things a certain way. Meeting them halfway on items of concern seems to go a long way. I realize that's not always possible, but it seems to have helped here.

Unfortunately, we can't schedule the walk-thru for another three weeks. This is due to our schedule not aligning with theirs. Can't be helped.

P.S. They did try to sell me a Slide-out Topper and a vent cover. While the slide-out topper is intriguing, and i guess the vent cover is too, I can purchase and install both of those items for a fraction of the price they want to do it.

Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 06:56 PM   #16

Quote:
They did try to sell me a Slide-out Topper and a vent cover. While the slide-out topper is intriguing, and i guess the vent cover is too, I can purchase and install both of those items for a fraction of the price they want to do it.
Both are worth having. The vent cover is a quick and easy job, while the slide topper takes a little more doing. Having installed one by myself,
I would consider letting them deal with it.

steve52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
Sounds like they are trying to make everything right while being fair. Hope all goes well with the purchase. I'd recommend considering the slide topper, but that's just my opinion.
I agree. It does sound like they are at least trying to make things right. Working with people is significantly easier than fighting against them. I vote for working with them if you're seriously interested in the trailer. (To the OP, not Gigattime, obviously)
Itchytoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:42 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
So I got a phone call today and apparently they are doing anything about the cupboards, however, I'm pretty sure they are taking care of the under-stove drawers, and they are ordering the cupboards for me to install. I priced out the parts and on this, it's the same if I buy them myself and I don't have to hassle with figuring out color, or getting specific hardware... so for within $10 of DIY, they'll get the parts for me. I think that's fair.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:45 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
Both are worth having. The vent cover is a quick and easy job, while the slide topper takes a little more doing. Having installed one by myself,
Could you send me a link or something to a vent cover. I'm not sure I understand what they are talking about. They say it has one vent, but the only one I'm aware of the bathroom vent with the crankup cover..

As far as the slideout cover... I just can't justify $400+ for labor. I know they are worth it, but I am much cheaper... I run on coffee.

If you don't mind letting me know, which slideout and vent covers did you get?
Old 02-14-2020, 12:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post

I purchased two vent covers and installed them on our new trailer. It's not a hard job at all if you are comfortable working on a ladder. The vent cover does in fact cover the crank up cover in the bathroom. Our trailer has a second vent in the living area.
BurienTimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:54 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurienTimmer View Post
I purchased two vent covers and installed them on our new trailer. It's not a hard job at all if you are comfortable working on a ladder. The vent cover does in fact cover the crank up cover in the bathroom. Our trailer has a second vent in the living area.
Ok... I gotta ask what it does. My current TT has three of the crank open vents. The ones in the kitchen and bath have fans. The one in the bedroom the screen is actually missing but the cover works. It has one of the pillow-plugs stuffed in it. None of them leak and in fact the one over the bathroom is cracked and has tape on it... but doesn't leak. This is a '92 so has something changed in design? Why would I all of a sudden need vent covers? I must be missing something.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:58 AM   #22

Vent covers are simple to install. The cover allows you to vent the camper while stored without worrying about water intrusion. Also, protects the seals from UV damage and is nice if you want to leave the vent open in mild temperatures when camping.

The slide topper is doable yourself, but plan for at least a day's work for the install with a helper.

I've installed both vent covers and slide toppers in the past. On our most recent fifth wheel had the dealer do the slide toppers... wasn't worth the time and effort to do it myself. I did the rest including installation of 3 max air vent covers which took 15-20 minutes each to install... fairly easy to do.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
Vent covers are simple to install. The cover allows you to vent the camper while stored without worrying about water intrusion. Also, protects the seals from UV damage and is nice if you want to leave the vent open in mild temperatures when camping.
Thanks... And I appologize for being so thick, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around what the cover covers. So I took a picture. This is my cover, it's open for circulation (about 1/4" in the inside, you can definately feel air coming in/going out.). Never had any water come in.. it is UV protected plastic, but replacment tops if you need them are less than $20.00 but I think these are the original.

Are we talking about different things?

UPDATE>>>>
Ok... nevermind. I went and looked at the DIY MAXAIR II Vent install video. I get it.. I don't think I need it. We never open the vent that unless something being cooked in the kitchen or released in the bathroom really needs it fully open. Most of the time, it's just like the picture below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200215_150152.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	688.0 KB
ID:	275228  
Old 02-15-2020, 05:15 PM   #24

Quote:
...We found the model of RV we like. ...We have NO money in it at this time so we could just cut and run...
I'd walk away.

If they treat you like this BEFORE they have your money think how they will treat you AFTER they have your money!!!!!!
WantAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Thanks... And I appologize for being so thick, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around what the cover covers. So I took a picture. This is my cover, it's open for circulation (about 1/4" in the inside, you can definately feel air coming in/going out.). Never had any water come in.. it is UV protected plastic, but replacment tops if you need them are less than $20.00 but I think these are the original.

Are we talking about different things?

UPDATE>>>>
Ok... nevermind. I went and looked at the DIY MAXAIR II Vent install video. I get it.. I don't think I need it. We never open the vent that unless something being cooked in the kitchen or released in the bathroom really needs it fully open. Most of the time, it's just like the picture below.

Conesus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #26

Sounds like the dealer is treating you well, going "above and beyond." I think most dealers would say "This is how it is, take it or leave it." Kudos to them for helping you customize it
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:58 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What the vent covers do is allow you to leave your vents open no matter what the weather is...One of the first things I've added to both the trailers we've owned.