Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2020, 07:11 PM   #1

Dexter 3000 lbs axles

We sold our 1984 Alpenlite 5th wheel because it seemed like every time we needed something it was obsolete. We then bought a 2014 Passport ultralight thinking we wouldn’t have that problem for awhile.
Today I decided to pull the wheels, repack the bearing and check the brakes. Everything looked pretty good but the brake shoes have a little grease on them, not much probably would be fine but I wanted to change the shoes.
Keystone put 3000 lbs axles under this trailer. No one has the brake shoes for this axle. Even the dexter web site don’t list a 3000 lbs axle. [emoji35]
The trailer supply shop that is a dexter dealer kept trying to sell me backing plates with shoes for a 3500 lbs. I finally got through to him after showing him the pictures of the tag on the axle, bearings, shoes, and drum that what he is trying to sell me won’t fit! Then he just said I don’t know where you going to find those.
The only place I found them online is etrailer for $191 for a pair on backing plates with shoes.
All I want is brake shoes. Everything else looks new on the axle.
Ok. I’ve vented enough, I cleaned the shoes up and put it back together. But if anyone knows where I can get some 10” x 1 1/2” shoe let me know!
Stableduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2020, 09:29 PM   #2

Etrailer also has JUST the brake shoes 10" x 1 1/2" $39 set LH and RH

If brake assembly are bolted to axle...check depth of drums.......could use 10" x 2 1/4" brake shoes

https://www.etrailer.com/question-84358.html
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:45 PM   #3

Parts Catalog
https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...rsn=6321eb48_0

Left Brake
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...23-472-00.html

Right Brake
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...23-473-00.html

$167 for both.

Charles
Old 06-06-2020, 03:58 AM   #4

You need to correct the grease issue before replacing the brakes. New seals at the very least. Once that is done a good dousing of brake clean can take care of the grease on the shoes if it isn't too bad. If there is grease on the shoes there is grease in the drum. More brake clean.DEXTER AXLE RESOURCE LIBRARY
Old 06-06-2020, 09:25 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply’s. Thanks for finding the shoes Old Biscuit. I’ll try to order them.
My drum is not deep enough to use 2 1/4 shoes.
CharlesinGa that appears to be the correct backing plate, but I would rather just replace the shoes. Thanks for taking the time to look.
Toby Dog, I inspected and repacked the wheel bearings. Which you have to remove the seal to do. I installed new seals when I put it back together.
The problem with cleaning the shoes depending on how much grease/oil is on the shoe is the grease/oil get impregnated in the linings, you clean it off and it looks good, but when the brakes heat up more oil/grease comes to the surface and you have the same problem again.
Stableduck is offline   Reply With Quote