Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2021, 09:47 AM   #1

Dicor cross flex roof membrane

I am supposed to get my Apex Nano 213RDS sometime next month. I heard the rubber roof they have on the top gets bubbles and that is completely normal. Is this true?
Oconomowoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #2

I think bubbles between the plywood roof and the rubber membrane happen very frequently. They are a defect, a failure between glue and plywood or membrane. Manufactures have seen it enough that they "determine" that a certain amount (nearly all) is acceptable and does not affect the membrane performance. In my industry, we'd establish a maximum acceptable defect size, spacing, and other criteria to accept or reject defects. I'd love to hear a Travel Trailer manufactures criteria. With no published criteria, it is easy for them to say "that is normal".

I wouldn't use the word normal. In this context, the manufacture is saying it is not a failure. When they really should be saying "this type of failure is acceptable since it doesn't affect performance".
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:18 PM   #3

My Forest River does this. You can pick out every seam in the plywood decking by looking at the line of bubbles.

I don't like it, but haven't had any issues/leaks so I'm hesitant to tear it off and replace it just because it looks crappy.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:19 PM   #4

I'ts definitely a defect and it seems to be more common now than in years past.Either they don't use enough glue or the glue isn't any good. I have a 2018 Keystone Raptor and all of a sudden it started coming up in the front to the point it was rubbing on the A/C unit and cutting through the rubber. Even though Keystone has a 3 year structure warranty they say the roof can be repaired won't say how and won't pay for a new roof even though it's only a matter of time before it leaks. It's in the shop now having a flex Armor spray on roof being installed as we speak. I don't have any faith in the rubber lay down roofs any more. Trailer is less than 3 years old.
rblanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 08:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanch View Post
I'ts definitely a defect and it seems to be more common now than in years past.Either they don't use enough glue or the glue isn't any good. I have a 2018 Keystone Raptor and all of a sudden it started coming up in the front to the point it was rubbing on the A/C unit and cutting through the rubber. Even though Keystone has a 3 year structure warranty they say the roof can be repaired won't say how and won't pay for a new roof even though it's only a matter of time before it leaks. It's in the shop now having a flex Armor spray on roof being installed as we speak. I don't have any faith in the rubber lay down roofs any more. Trailer is less than 3 years old.
Can you post more about the spray on roof when it is done. I have been thinking about this as an option.
Thanks.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:05 AM   #6

I'll post an update when I get it back. I've been researching it for a while now and looking at pictures on the internet. If you want to research it's the Flex Armor factory website rvroof.com It's totally different than the roll on roof.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #7

I don't want to hijack this thread any more than I already have... so this will be my last post on it.
I researched the Flex Armor last night and there are no applicators out here in the west. I'd still be interested in seeing pictures, hearing about pricing, and hearing if there were any addons.
Thanks
Old 01-19-2021, 07:33 AM   #8

I was surprised to find a shop near me in the New Orleans area. I would have traveled before I would have another rubber membrane installed. They have the RV Armor system confusing isn't it that they come to you and roll it on. However I didn't want to put anything over the rubber membrane that suddenly started coming up. I made sure they were going to completely remove the rubber membrane from my roof in some applications they spray over the rubber. The roll on roof is rv-armor.com I found both these roofs on this forum on a different thread.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:32 AM   #9

Picked up the trailer yesterday and it looks really good no caulking anywhere. It is also very tough if you push on it with a key you couldn't damage it if you tried I also had them spray over the shower skylight so I didn't have to replace it in the future. Very satisfied so far feels very solid.

Tags
dicor, roof