Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2020, 03:58 PM   #1

Did I ruin my trailer roof killing bees?

I applied Spectracide PRO to a rather large bees nest in my a/c unit on the roof of my 2019 Keystone Bullet. Within minutes after spraying the nest I thought to myself that the spray may not be good for the roof so I immediately rinse the roof off with the hose out of caution. I know this was a dumb afterthought and I should have thought ahead.

I let the spray do its work and kill all the bees and a couple hours later got up took the shroud off the AC unit and removed the nest. I then thoroughly cleaned the area of the AC unit with paper towels, a vacuum, and paper towels again to get all the residual spray and nest out as much as possible. I use the vacuum to suck up any remaining moisture as much as I possibly could. I then put the AC shroud back on and buttoned it back up. I noticed on the roof it appears that the roofing material seems slightly bubbled right near the area I sprayed (see attached photo). based on what I've read so far it appears that it could be the petroleum within the spray that caused this? How much damage have I caused and how concerned should I be? Have I just totally destroyed my roof?

After getting the AC unit button back up I got a foam sprayer filled it with a light dish soap detergent and completely covered the top of the trailer with it to remove any residual bee killer spray thinking that if there was petroleum in it which I'm guessing there was, would be stripped away by the dish detergent. I then thoroughly rinsed the entire trailer.

I feel like an idiot and tried to do my best to clean up the mess I have created. Just want to know how much damage I have caused?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00000IMG_00000_BURST20200614135558478_COVER.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	289542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200614-144536.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	289543  

Click image for larger version

Name:	00000IMG_00000_BURST20200614135604061_COVER.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	289544  
djnate1039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2020, 04:20 PM   #2

Since your not sure and the roof has bubbles already test on a small non affected area and see what happens.

Maybe the bubbles were there already?
mokurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #3

That could be a good test. If the test result shows the spray did not lift the material, there could be another problem covered under warranty. If that is the case, don't mention the bee adventure in the service department so they won't get any ideas on how to deflect a warranty claim

Read the back of the label for any application warnings. I picked up some rat spray deterrent wanting to spray my engine bay firewall and the can surprisingly said not to spray it in the engine bay.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:35 PM   #4

I would think that if the spray created the bubbles the material would be melted/gummy on top.

Like putting acetone on some plastics.
mokurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #5

To keep it from happening in the first place, I screened off all the open vents on the shroud from inside it......and all other areas that contained vents
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:49 PM   #6

Agreed. If not gummy, then I would move on and just inspect it as time passes.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:41 AM   #7

Stick a roll of EternaBond RV Mobile Home Roof Seal Sealant Tape & Leak Repair Tape in your trailer 'just in case'.

Not just for the bubble, but also tree limbs falling, etc and you can get a quick fix.

I put a layer where my antenna hits the roof just for prevention of wear. Fixin to re-seal all of my seams with it. They claim it should last 15 years... maybe?

Amazon is a good source.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:07 AM   #8

Hard to tell from the picture so I'll ask.

1) Is the roof bubbled up or does it appear to be just a top layer like maybe it had been sealed or treated with roof treatment and that pealed up?

2) how big an area is this?

If this is not a tremendously large area AND the dealer avoids doing anything under warranty AND it looks like roof replacement maybe it can just be covered with enterna bond or a good roof treatment.

Good luck and keeps us posted.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #9

Yes you ruined to roof.
Neighbor behind us at the camp ground did the same thing for the same reason and the same thing happened.
Were permanent so its not as big a deal, but pulling it down a highway might cause it to lift and get worse.
His were leaving it alone for now keeping a close eye on it, it may never be anything but ripples and bubbles but if it does change were gonna cut that out and buy a new piece of roofing and replace that section.
Conesus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:59 PM   #10

Not gummy, so that's good.
djnate1039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 11:55 PM   #11

FYI:

For future reference foggers are quite effective for killing wash/hornet nests and you can find them in water based formulations. I've taped them to poles to fog into large bald faced hornet nests up under eaves and in trees, or nests in wall cavities. Even used them for ground nests although it can be tricky to get them to spray properly when pointed downward. Waaay more effective than the jet sprays which can't get up into the inside of the nest. With a fogger just make sure any electrical power is shut off to the device. Water based shouldn't be flammable but you need to take care about getting moisture in electrical components. They have a locking activation tab that can be released with upward finger pressure so for small nests you don't need to empty a whole can. If you can't get close during the day, hit 'em at night when it's cool, or use the pole trick. The foggers are also effective when you can't hit the nest directly with spray.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:44 AM   #12

I am logging this information in my brain. Foggers - Yes, chemical killer - No

Very good to know because I would have used a chemical killer.

Thanks guys.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:04 AM   #13

Being a retired lineman, I have used lots of bee spray. The good old days it had Freon in it and worked great. The new junk is some kind of oily stuff that just oils them up. I keep permithrin around for any bug types. You can get it online and at some hardware stores. Kills wood ticks in 30 seconds. Wipes out ant hills and would work great on bees. I spray around the screen door so anything that does come in, don't last long.
The oil in the bee spray cant be that bad, as ive seen it on cars and fiberglass high voltage rubber products, and did no damage.
Traveler4321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, trailer