Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2019, 05:46 AM   #1

Diesel Additive for Towing

Diesel newb here. Just bought a 6.7l Cummins Dodge Ram 2500. I have never owned a diesel before. Is there a fuel additive that will clean and improve fuel mileage? I've used these things on my gasser with success. Is this a recommended thing to do or are there cons about it too? Thank you for your help. Towing a 34' Grand Design Imagine 2970rl.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2019, 06:42 AM   #2

Not a diesel owner but slowing to 62 or 65 seems to be the speed the diesels like for best mpg.

IMO towing and MPG dont go together
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:44 AM   #3

62 or 65 seems to be the speed the diesels like for best mpg.

That depends on your gear ratio. For mine 72-74 is the best.

As far as additive, use Howe's Meaner Cleaner. I've had the best results with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Howes-103067-.../dp/B003G54MOG

I did try Lucas recently and got 02 sensor codes every time I put a dash in the tank. Doing noting, and not putting any more it, they have stopped.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:48 AM   #4

I've always used Power Service Diesel Kleen.
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:09 AM   #5

Power Service Diesel Kleen and Diesel Fuel Supplement are endorsed by Cummins. Those are the only fuel additives that are. Both contain cetane booster which may slightly increase mileage but its not going to be dramatic.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Nothing but diesel fuel goes in my tank. too many expensive sensors to screw up.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #7

Go over to a true diesel engine/ vehicle forum to find your proper answer. The on I am on is "Turbo Diesel Register. Com." This is a dedicated site for the Dodge/Ram Cummins vehicles. This is the longest running forum for just the Dodge/Ram Trucks equipped with the Cummins engine, in fact Cummins and FCA contact the members through the forum for comments on new or existing designs.

Now I do use a Power service additive but only during the winter months to insure that my fuel will not gel do to cold temps. I use Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost from Nov 1 to mid-March. Now if you use a lot of Bio-fuel I would also use BIO Kleen Diesel Fuel Biocide to prevent microbes from growing in your fuel tank. I also carry spare fuel filters in my truck if they become plugged do to bad fuel.

Enjoy your experience with your truck you will enjoy the torque and HP that the Cummins produces.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:03 AM   #8

I personally used Redline diesel additive for the past 7 months of ownership and so far all seems well.

I used there fuel system treatment in my old truck and everything was still well with it after 280 thousand kilometres.

If you go to Redlines website type in your vehicle info it will tell you what to use.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #9

A lot will depend on the quality of the fuel you purchase. I had a 2500 Ram prior to my Chevy duelly I have now. For both trucks I have seen mileage while towing vary 3-4 mpg based on nothing but the quality of fuel. I was pulling to FL in February and averaging about 11 mpg at 70 mph. As my truck's tank got low I purchased at a Shell station for around $2.85/gal, I stopped and flipped open my bed-mounted RDS aux tank. As the fuel from the aux tank (which I purchased at a Murphys Station for $2.66/gal) started hitting the injectors, I watched my mileage start south finally bottoming out around 8.2 mpg. Same road, same speed, two different fuels and I lost nearly 3 mpg. My point being, you will see shifts in your mileage largely based on fuel quality, summer blends vs winter blends, etc. Adding something to your fuel if you live up north in winter months to keep the fuel from jelling probably would't hurt. But I'm with others in that if you're pulling a small house down the road, worrying over a couple mpgs should be the last thing on your mind.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:58 PM   #10

If you go to the Ram 2500 forum DON"T call it a DODGE!!
Old 04-22-2019, 09:51 PM   #11

2015 Ram 6.7L

Per Owners Manual
Commercially available fuel additives are not necessary for the proper operation of your diesel engine

See 'Fuel Requirements' starting on pg 79
http://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/ma...sel-SU-2nd.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Nothing but diesel fuel goes in my tank. too many expensive sensors to screw up.

x2....
Old 04-24-2019, 08:11 PM   #13

6.5 years of diesel, no additives. Had plenty of power from the Factory. No tune, no additive needed.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:23 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Foxtrot View Post
I've always used Power Service Diesel Kleen.
That's all Cummins recommends now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, tow, towing