Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2018, 06:55 AM   #1

Disadvantages of a V-nose trailer?

Since my wife and I are looking into bigger trailers we have come across a couple that are v-nosed. She likes the layout of them with the kitchen up front in the V.
There must be some disadvantage to this or you would see every company utilize the space over the hitch better. The one I see is that you lose the big outside pass through storage up front but it seems like it has more storage in the rear.

What else am I missing?

Thanks folks, I did a search but maybe I am not using the right terms as I couldn't come up with much at all.
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2018, 06:57 AM   #2

Not that it's a disadvantage but I would imagine it would have better gas mileage for the tow vehicle. I could imagine there's a lot less wind resistance
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:00 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
With all the weight of the kitchen really "up front" it can be a very tongue heavy unit. I thought they were popular 5 years ago. I just don't see many on dealers lots.

Remember your frig will be filled, all your dishes, pots and pans, canned goods, beverages....The weight of the cabinets, counter-tops...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We used to own a Viewfinder trailer with a v-nose. It was only 19 feet in length but felt much bigger inside because of the kitchen in the V. It towed like a dream. We went all over the country including a trip from Phoenix to Fairbanks, Alaska. We towed it with a Volkswagen Touareg Diesel, no less. Didn't even know the trailer was behind us most of the time.
Carefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
From the reports I have seen the fuel mileage was not improved and Many folks report that they react to wind more than traditional trailer shapes.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #6

That's interesting.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fuel mileage improvement is indeed negligible BUT it handled great in any weather. We drove through some heavy storms and with the WD hitch and a sway bar the trailer was rock solid behind our SUV.
Carefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #8

I guess some like the space for propane, batteries, toolboxes and possibly weight distributing hitches.

My large snowmobile trailer is a V-nose, when traveling together with another similar rig that has a square nose, he always gets better mileage.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I only met one couple that had a V nose travel trailer, and they loved it, until they had to refill their propane bottles, which were kept in a compartment on the back that was accessible from the outside, but under the bed. Had to stoop down to remove them and replace them.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #10

We just traded ours in. It pulled OK, but the new camper I just bought pulls better and weighs the same. The one we had, the bathroom was in the V-nose. We liked the floor plan but we had to lift the 2 recliners and move them for the slide when traveling.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:00 PM   #11

The Vee nose IMHO is a great design to help with aerodynamics. I would think the heavier front along with no pass through are the big 2 disadvantages.

I would say added areodynamics and front kitchen layout as advantages.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #12

I have a v-nose cargo trailer and one disadvantage over a flat front cargo trailer is tight turns when backing. I would assume this may be true for the v-nose camper as well.

I have found the v-nose gets really tight to the bumper (jack knife position) in a tight manuever and could be damaged if not careful.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
I have a v-nose cargo trailer and one disadvantage over a flat front cargo trailer is tight turns when backing. I would assume this may be true for the v-nose camper as well.

I have found the v-nose gets really tight to the bumper (jack knife position) in a tight manuever and could be damaged if not careful.
agree. this has been my experience.

the math is: R = ½ρCAv**2.
R = drag
A = surface area
v= velocity

fact: a "V" increases the surface area facing into the induced wind, and thus increases drag. (consider a triangle). more drag = more fuel consumed. more surface + more speed = greatly increased drag.

to reduce drag, a curved surface area is required, which produces a laminar flow.

A V can be handy though, for interior space. a front kitchen will create high hitch weight, so a heavier truck is required. the pro to this is better stability when towing.
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:48 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The rear of the trailer has more effect on drag than the front. A model A Ford is more aerodynamic in reverse. Whales, submarines etc have a tapered rear for just that reason. Semis are using tapered cones at the back now too.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer