Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #1

Do all TT dealers have "Prep" fees AND "Processing Fees"?

Is this normal to have a $300 processing fee and $500 prep fee on a new TT?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not that I know of, but I haven't bought a TT since the 1980's. Seems like it would be just extra dealer profit that should be in the purchase price.
Although the car dealers seem to charge a "document preparation fee", and again, that should be part of the sale and a dealers cost, not passed onto the buyer as a separate line item.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #3

The dealer I bought my used pop up from wanted to charge a $295 prep fee, but I got that waved by telling them I'd go somewhere else. When I bought my new TT ( at a different dealer ) There was no mention of any prep fees. They even threw in a WD hitch and sway control for no extra charge.
tomdinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdinwv View Post
The dealer I bought my used pop up from wanted to charge a $295 prep fee, but I got that waved by telling them I'd go somewhere else. When I bought my new TT ( at a different dealer ) There was no mention of any prep fees. They even threw in a WD hitch and sway control for no extra charge.
I have not bought a travel trailer in years, but almost every time I look at a vehicle of any kind there are goofy fees added by dealers. We looked at a car the other day that had a "competitive fee" added to the MSRP. The dealer said that was added as the auto was a popular model. When we start negotiating for a vehicle our first statement is that we will not even consider paying the extra fees, whatever they are.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #5

Dealers charge all manner of fees, some that are truly required and others that are pure BS/extra profit. The best way to sort it all out when shopping among multiple dealers is to always negotiate on an 'out the door' price, that way they can play all the games they want but the bottom line stays the same.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
edj

It is easy to get those BS extra charges dropped. If they don't drop them after requested by you, get up and go out the door. 95% of the time, you will find them dropped before you reach your car.... If they insist on being stubborn, there are lots of other RV dealers around.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
we bought our new 5er 2 years ago and after getting the best price we could, DW told the dealer that we werent paying any of the extra fees. After some talking they accepted our conditions.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
If comparison shopping, ask for the "out the door" price. All that really matters is the bottom line price; how the dealer arrives at that price (lowered purchase price, dropped fees, increased trade-in value, etc.) doesn't really matter.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #9

Just closed this week on our new TT, no extra fees were added, just taxes and enviro fee.
papaquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #10

Every vehicle I've purchased, new or used, has been on an "out the door" price. I tell the sales people that I'm not interested in what "discount" they are giving me or what the trade-in price is or what sort of fees they charge. All we are discussing is the size of the check that I write.

If the dealer wants or needs to charge a $300 "document fee" that's fine. He can cut the price by $300 on line two and then add the document fee back in on line three. I've been told that the document fee is a state law, but I've never seen a real reference to back that up, and I really don't care.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Every vehicle I've purchased, new or used, has been on an "out the door" price. I tell the sales people that I'm not interested in what "discount" they are giving me or what the trade-in price is or what sort of fees they charge. All we are discussing is the size of the check that I write.
Yep. If you start debating the fees/discounts/etc. with them then you're playing their game. All that matters is the bottom line.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
I've been told that the document fee is a state law, but I've never seen a real reference to back that up, and I really don't care.
It's probably allowed by state law but not required AFAIK.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #13

Bottom line, out the door price is all that matters, how they divy up the money is their problem, not yours. And don't fall for "your payment would only be $x", always go with out the door pricing as they'll give you a low payment but the terms will only be in their favor of making more money.
denverhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #14

I would tell them to drop it or I would walk. Those fees are instant profit add on's. Very few people are gullible enough to pay them but it's 100 percent for the dealer when a sucker does and it makes the dealer look like a stand up guy when he waives the fee when someone refuses or starts to walk out the door.
derald1961 is offline   Reply With Quote