Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 04:26 AM   #1

Question Do I Need A Slide-out Awning?

Hey Everyone,

I recently bought a new 2016 Lance 1995 TT. Its on the lot and I cant pick it up until my truck arrives at the end of April as its being built right now.

My TT had most options, but it didn't have a slide-out awning.

My question is this to you knowledgeable fellow RV'ers... do I need it?

What are the pros and cons that you have found with your slide-out awning?

I have to make a decision pretty quick if I want the dealer to order it in and install it for me.

Thanks so much!
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 04:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Do you mean slide out topper? An awning you sit under for shade, a topper covers the top of the slide. If you are asking about the topper I would say yes. It keeps the top dry and and debris off it that you wouldn't see before sliding back in.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-14-2016, 04:36 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
No. you don't need one. A slideout cover keeps the trash off the top of slideout. You need to clean the top of the slideout before bringing it in.
whmprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:02 AM   #4

A slide topper reduces but does not eliminate potential for rain leaking in as the seals are fairly good at that. Slide topper does a good job at reducing the number of pine cones, needles, or other tree debris that should be removed prior to retracting the slides. With or without it is a good idea to visually check before activating the slide switch. Needed, probably not, helpful, yes.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:29 AM   #5

Our first trailer came without one. I got tired of getting on a ladder to clean off pine needles, small branches etc. everytime we packed up, so I had a slide topper put on. And, the newer Minnie has one. They can make some flapping noise in windy conditions and they can puddle water in very rainy conditions which is easily taken care of by just retracting the slide to remove the water and putting it right back out. A lot of people like them, but there are those that don't.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:40 AM   #6

Well, that depends on how much jingle you have left in your pockets ??? My pockets only get fill once a month, when my SS check arrives. So i get out my ladder and just sweep off the top of the slide as part of our packup procedure, I can do that i lot of times for the 3 to 4 Hundred for a topper.

Jim & Pat
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Do you mean slide out topper? An awning you sit under for shade, a topper covers the top of the slide. If you are asking about the topper I would say yes. It keeps the top dry and and debris off it that you wouldn't see before sliding back in.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sorry my bad. Just new to all of this. Yes.. I meant a slide out topper!
Old 03-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Well, that depends on how much jingle you have left in your pockets ??? My pockets only get fill once a month, when my SS check arrives. So i get out my ladder and just sweep off the top of the slide as part of our packup procedure, I can do that i lot of times for the 3 to 4 Hundred for a topper.

Jim & Pat
Until you fall off the ladder.

We camp in a lot of wooded areas, as well as in direct sunlight. The slide toppers help keep excess debris off the slide, and in sunlight help keeps the interior cooler.

To each their own. I like mine.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:57 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
personal preference, so it's up to you and only YOU know YOU

If you like to tent camp then you won't need them.

I WISH I had them in my previous 5'er with minimal air conditioning to keep the sun from baking the top of the minimally insulated slide outs...

AND to keep 'stuff' off the top of the slides.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
My trailer came without one so I bought a carefree of Colorado and installed it my self. It is a lot better now for those times that I want to leave first thing in the morning
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #11

Would never go with out one thank good I only have one14ft slide or you'd be breaking the bank.. Nice to just hit the bottom and not have to go clean it off.. I bought from camping world because it was on sale installed my self I measure flange to flange plus 1.5 on each side so it has a large over hang
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #12

Its kind of funny that the questions you keep posting are on the same trajectory that I followed a couple months ago when I bought my first trailer. In my case, I started out thinking that a topper would be mandatory. But at some point, I realized that it was time to close my wallet and gain some experience before buying more stuff. So far, I am happy living without one.

Mike
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
Its kind of funny that the questions you keep posting are on the same trajectory that I followed a couple months ago when I bought my first trailer. In my case, I started out thinking that a topper would be mandatory. But at some point, I realized that it was time to close my wallet and gain some experience before buying more stuff. So far, I am happy living without one.

Mike
Great minds think alike Mike
Old 03-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
At this point in time (on our second TT) we still like convenience. With our first TT, in the beginning we didn't have a slide topper. When we forgot to clean off the top of the slide and ended up with debris and water inside and when a small branch jammed our slide, we opted to have the topper installed.

On our new TT, we had it installed straight away. IMHO, it is worth it.

Have fun camping and read, read, read while you are here. There is so much information and many veteran Rv'ers that have a wealth of information they share.

Tags
awning, slide