Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2018, 05:02 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My brother had spread axles and had tire issues from the beginning. A good WD system set up the right way is the way to go. The spread axle craze was going on 10 years ago. If it was so revolutionary, all RV trailers would be going that route.

Cant recall any 5th wheels with this configuration.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #16

Probably the spread axle in travel trailers are to help with sway where that need does not exist in a 5th wheel.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
It also makes the trailer much more stable when going over bumps or down a lumpy highway.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:41 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
While I was having my trailer serviced yesterday, I was taking to the service manager and he explained that on my trailer (which has spread axles) one of the axles is a floating axle to prevent sidewall damage. I don’t fully understand the engineering behind that, but I just thought I’d pass that along.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Look how far back boat trailer axles are. Zero sway for the most part.
Boat trailer have axles so far back due to the majority of the load is hanging off the end of the boat. IE the engines and the drives. If the axles weren't that far back, boats would have a negative tongue weight.
ohiost90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:41 AM   #20

Yep, I probably towed boats 30,000miles over 15 years before bought my 1st travel trailer. Holy cow was I in for a surprise. A 4,400lb travel trailer is not the same as a 4,400lb boat.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:54 AM   #21

[QUOTE=happycamperz;4217607]"the service manager ... explained that on my trailer ... one of the axles is a floating axle to prevent sidewall damage.[QUOTE]

Me thinketh thou got BS'd.....
Old 06-01-2018, 05:07 AM   #22

It's all about Bridge Formulas. The only benefit is load distribution. If you do "city slicker" driving, they are no good. If you haul heavy, uneven loads over the road for long distances...they are great. Reducing sway has nothing to do with the design.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:37 AM   #23

[QUOTE=L.C.Gray;4218977][QUOTE=happycamperz;4217607]"the service manager ... explained that on my trailer ... one of the axles is a floating axle to prevent sidewall damage.
Quote:

Me thinketh thou got BS'd.....
Yep. After that comment I'd fact check everything heard from that guy.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:55 AM   #24

A floating axle on a travel trailer is when you turn so sharp that the axle floats off the trailer and onto the road.

I am trying to convince the wife that any trailer we buy we need to be able to back into the driveway and not make the shape cul-de-sac dead end turn at the end of our street. I did this turn 1 time with a very shape turning F-450 and a 37' 5th wheel. That turn was not pretty as the tires and wheels were convoluted to a near breaking point, at least it looked that way. I plan to never make a turn like that again.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
A floating axle on a travel trailer is when you turn so sharp that the axle floats off the trailer and onto the road.

I am trying to convince the wife that any trailer we buy we need to be able to back into the driveway and not make the shape cul-de-sac dead end turn at the end of our street. I did this turn 1 time with a very shape turning F-450 and a 37' 5th wheel. That turn was not pretty as the tires and wheels were convoluted to a near breaking point, at least it looked that way. I plan to never make a turn like that again.
It'll be even worse looking with a spread axle. Do that too many times and somethings gotta give.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funding Fun View Post
It's all about Bridge Formulas. The only benefit is load distribution. If you do "city slicker" driving, they are no good. If you haul heavy, uneven loads over the road for long distances...they are great. Reducing sway has nothing to do with the design.

I doubt very much Bridge Formula has much to do with any RV.
The more space between axles, the more force sideways needed to change direction. Which means the tires need to slide on turns. Reduce sway? In theory, yes, but only if the axles are parallel, and stay that way. Cheap built TT suspension? No bet...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #27

How brilliant of you to point that out!! The OP's original statement was "looking at a trailer with spread axles". He initially said said nothing of an RV. So, go back to my comment...it addresses "spread axles" and their purpose...not their application with an RV.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #28

The trailer I was looking at is a camping trailer. A Winnebago Mini Plus 27 RBDS.

The really odd thing I saw another Winnebago Mini Plus 27 RBDS and this one did not have a spread axle.