Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2023, 10:06 AM   #29

+1 on covering. I do pay for covered parking for it, but it's just a big roof with slots. There are other TT's parked there and they are covered in grime and a zillion spider webs and bird nests so I cover it for the added protection. Certainly not easy to do, but being that it's at a public storage facility I feel more comfortable with the extra protection, plus I won't have to spend the time field-daying it before using it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2023, 01:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemifoot View Post
i cover my tt and all of my boats.we get an ungodly amount of snow.and spring hail. hopefully i will be able to construct a large storage building in the next few years.
Do they really protect it from hail? My wife wants me to cover it, but I don't see how one person on the roof can do this. She will not get on the roof.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Mac View Post
+1 on covering. I do pay for covered parking for it, but it's just a big roof with slots. There are other TT's parked there and they are covered in grime and a zillion spider webs and bird nests so I cover it for the added protection. Certainly not easy to do, but being that it's at a public storage facility I feel more comfortable with the extra protection, plus I won't have to spend the time field-daying it before using it.
Back when I had a 41' DP I had it in a covered storage. After just a few weeks it was the dirtiest it has every been. It was covered with bird poop and dust.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
This looks like a PITA to me. It appears that it would take two people on the roof to get it started. Plus the weight of getting the cover up there on a ladder. It may be easy for a young person, but I am 71 years old with a bad back.
I'm 57. I have a way to do it by myself but it isn't easy. It involves moving a ladder at least 6 times. I have the cover marked so I can easily identify the front and back. I lay it out in front of the trailer with the back of the cover near the tongue of the trailer. I then place the ladder on one side near the front of the trailer and drag part of the cover onto up to the roof. I pin it there with a brick. Then take the ladder to the other side and drag the other side up to the roof and again pin it with a brick. Gpp back to the first side and drag the cover back about 5 feet and pin it with the brick again. Move to other side and drag that side back about 5 feet. Then back to the front and drag the entire cover up to front is positioned correctly and pin it with the brick. Repeat on the opposite side. After that it is pretty easy to drag the cover back the rest of the way by moving the ladder from one side to the other. I use a broom stick to get the cover to move over the AC and anything else I can't reach. It is an exercise in patience because as soon as it snags on something I have to move the ladder and find the snag and free it. I have resist the urge to just tug harder, as that rips the cover. The whole process takes me about 30 minutes. My TT doesn't have a walking roof so getting on the roof isn't an option. I am pretty sure I won't be able to do this when I am 71.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:21 PM   #33

I cover our 5th wheel (13.5 feet tall, 40 feet long) by myself.

I strategically roll the cover like a sleeping bag with the sides folded in a specific order that allows me to take the cover up the length of our 5er toyhauler and unfold the sides once on the roof.

I go up from the rear with a pinch of the front of the cover in hand, but the main part is laying on the ground (unrolls as I go up the ladder). Walk it to the front. Once up on top, just drop the front over the front of the camper and then drop the sides down the sides. I finish in the rear and cover the rear as I come down the ladder.

You do have to be careful and watch your step on the roof, but it can be done by 1 person.

Sent from my SM-N981U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Do they really protect it from hail? My wife wants me to cover it, but I don't see how one person on the roof can do this. She will not get on the roof.
if it's snug enough the a/c unit will make a bit of a void.the hail may trash the cover bit it may also save the roof/solar panels.i propped some 2" pvc pipe along the top so i have a little bit of space.a little protection is better than none.as i mentioned,it's just a stopgap until i can build a permanent structure.
hemifoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, trailer, travel, travel trailer