Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Did you watch the video from Progressive Industries?

I figure the guys at Progressive Industries know more then I do about protecting my coach from surges so I take their advice.

I push a button and my jacks all retract. Takes less about 1 minute. I sit out the electrical storm on 6 tires. Once the storm has passed, I push the auto level button and the coach is once again on jacks and level, takes maybe 2 minutes.

Why wouldn't I take the added precaution? It takes me 3 minutes and 2 button pushes.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #16
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 173dave View Post
Airplanes get hit by lighting when flying. They are not connected to power or have jacks when in the air. I think all this is just too much. Camp and stop all the panic. Lighting hits when and where it wants to. There is NOTHING you can do to stop it from hitting you if it's going to hit you.
True, and not a problem unless an engine stops as happened to me as a passenger in a 2 piston engined Convair over Shreveport, LA years ago forcing the plane down for an "unscheduled" landing.

As far as damage, this was about 30 feet from me and at the front of my home this past July. Nothing else damaged - 'puter was just knocked off line for as long as it took to reboot, TV stayed on - nothing else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Storm damage1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	16557  
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
True, and not a problem unless an engine stops as happened to me as a passenger in a 2 piston engined Convair over Shreveport, LA years ago forcing the plane down for an "unscheduled" landing.

As far as damage, this was about 30 feet from me and at the front of my home this past July. Nothing else damaged - 'puter was just knocked off line for as long as it took to reboot, TV stayed on - nothing else.
You were lucky. Lightning hit the gutter on our SB house. Blew nails out of the walls, lost 2 TVs, the surround system, stereo, cellular module for the alarm system, 1 garage door opener and 2 clocks in the main house and our Bose system in the pool house. Dealing with the insurance company on depreciated cost vs replacement cost was a huge PIA. They didn't question any of the labor just item cost.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #18

My sticks & bricks house has had hits very nearby twice in the past 10 years. Dimmers, TV, alarm system, garage door opener, and various small electronics fell victim. Totals in both cases were below my 1K deductable, so I ate it.

Now if a strong storm is predicted, home power goes off at the main breaker. In the MH I disconnect the shore power and run on inverter.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Airplanes get hit by lighting when flying. They are not connected to power or have jacks when in the air. I think all this is just too much. Camp and stop all the panic. Lighting hits when and where it wants to. There is NOTHING you can do to stop it from hitting you if it's going to hit you.
Airplanes are large metal structures susceptible to direct strikes, not sure what bearing this has on being connected to shore power in the park. Nothing can prevent a direct strike.

I would think the OP's question had more to do with lightning hitting the park's power and the subsequent surge traveling through the park's power distribution network and impacting their coach. Therefore disconnect the shore power and eliminate the potential of this happening.

Don't see anyone in a panic as you put it, just seem like they are discussing simple precautions than can be taken to reduce the risk associated with electrical storms.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #20

If we think about it and have time we will unplug shore power. We typically do not raise the jacks as most of the time storms we are in also include wind and we prefer the stability provided by the jacks. If the storm looks especially severe we will bring the slides in. Our Progressive surge protector did save us from a nearby lightning strike (not a direct hit) and self destructed as it was protecting us - the pedestal was also fried. We also have a whole house surge protector on the stick and bricks. If we are unfortunate enough to have a direct hit on either the motorhome or the stick and brick there will be damage to be paid for, either by insurance or out of pocket. Other than these few precautions worry about lightning is just not high on our concern list.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
We have disconnected our power cord once or twice over the years ...most of the time it is already raining and I figure it would not be too smart (or comfortable) to go outside in the rain and grab the wet electric cord to unplug it, even with the breaker tripped. I almost always use plastic material jack pads so my jack feet would not normally be in contact with the ground.

A surge guard is not likely to keep you from damage in a lightning strike, though it might help a little. We got some damage when the RV park catv box was struck by lightning, and the current passed through the ground system to the electrical system. Several shore power boxes around us totally exploded. We had a burned up surge guard, inverter, transfer switch, power cord, and a GFCI outlet inside. Also had some damage to a radio, a TV, printer, and GFCI outlet. Some others around us has more extensive damage, so maybe our toasted surge guard helped a bit??
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #22

Good point. By the time a storm has alerted you to a potential damage situation I think it would be much more dangerous to go outside to pull the chord. On the other hand if you get warnings from local news of an impending bad storm and you see big dark ugly clouds approaching, maybe you have time. All I do when I hear the first bang of thunder is unplug the computer and turn TVs off.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some myths: Opening the circuit breaker will protect you: Lightening jumps how far coming down from the clouds (As I recall it actually goes up but hey, let's not quibble over direction)? That little gap in the breaker is going to do what for you? A: NOTHING.

Retracting the jacks,, A few inches of rubber tire ... Same thing, no difference.

Airplanes. Are farady cages, the strik does indeed hit the craft but tends to travel mostly OVER THE MEAL SKIN and continue to where it's going.. This can mess up the electronics inside the plane (Due to something called EMP) but frankly... It's not as bad as it is in a vehicle that's mostly plastic of one kind or another.

AND. it is not the same as striking a power line by a long shot.

When lightening hits a power line it tries to find as many ways to go to ground as possible.. And if you are plugged in,, Heck fi your plug is within a few feet of the outlet, IT's going to go through YOUR RIG.

Need not be a direct strike.

Now.. If you take a direct hit.. Forget it, NOTHING will protect against a direct hit.

Been there, (Sort of)_ and done that.

The office where I worked had a tower in the back yard, oh, perhaps 100 yards off. IT was "tethered" via several cables, both power (Which came from the building I worked in)_ and communications and control (both ways on comm, control from my office) cables, This tower supported several radios from VHF low band to Microwave.

Tower took a hit.. I'm told (Though due to prespective I did not see) the ceiling over my heat looked like the sky on July 4 with the sparks a flying.. Thankfully I was not injured.

Took our radios down (Thankfully the site is hardened, VERY hardened so they came back up about 30 minutes later when the computer did a full reset) took our telephone (Which did not even touch the tower) down, again it reset, One computer that was plugged in but turned off and offline (Sucker took 8 inch floppies) was toast. Did not find that out till they tried to re-program the telephone comptuer and ... Well that's what it was used for.

The breaker box that feed the sub panel in the tower's dog-house showed brass and copper blasted onto it's door. (Door blown open) Smoke filled halls.

Still, the only casuality was 1/2 of a power supply for the Microwave (Actually a 3 stage converter) They never even found it.. Just the other half of the circuit board and evidence the missing half turned to plasma.

I spoke with a witness over 20 miles away who saw the strike.

Not something I care to do again.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
wa8yxm agree with your statements, save one point; retracting the jacks is a safety measure for ground strikes at a distance. The surge from a ground strike can travel 20 -25 miles. It is the surface effect of this strike that you are trying to guard against when you retract jacks. Again it's a couple button pushes and 3 minutes time, why not take the precaution if you can.

Also agree with previous poster, if in a severe storm (high winds) leave the jacks down for stability. I should also point out that your motorhome is not the best structure for riding out severe storms, seek bricks and mortar or storm shelter. If all you have is your MH, get off the road try to find a significant structure to block the wind, get close and put jacks down.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Do you unplug your House?
Old 12-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
wa8yxm agree with your statements, save one point; retracting the jacks is a safety measure for ground strikes at a distance. The surge from a ground strike can travel 20 -25 miles. It is the surface effect of this strike that you are trying to guard against when you retract jacks. Again it's a couple button pushes and 3 minutes time, why not take the precaution if you can.

Also agree with previous poster, if in a severe storm (high winds) leave the jacks down for stability. I should also point out that your motorhome is not the best structure for riding out severe storms, seek bricks and mortar or storm shelter. If all you have is your MH, get off the road try to find a significant structure to block the wind, get close and put jacks down.

You just said to put the jacks up! I'm so confused now. I'm trying to fine the jacks on my Class C and there are none.
173dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
You just said to put the jacks up! I'm so confused now. I'm trying to fine the jacks on my Class C and there are none.
Then you have nothing to worry about.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #28

Problem here, I can pull up my rear jacks, but I can't retract my front landing gear unless I back the TV under the King Pin, as not everyone camps in a MH, plus this is a TT section (camped in a TT for 20 years)
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power